Is this argument a Gish Gallop

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2015, 01:23 PM
RE: Is this argument a Gish Gallop
It seems to me that the key element of the Gish Gallop is time. The Galloper puts up so much BS that his opponent has no time to respond to all of it. If someone posts 10 lines and I then spend 4 hours composing a well thought out response, writing a first draft, editing it, improving the logic, anticipating stupid counter arguments, re-editing it, and finally posting only a page then the Gallop is working. It's all about time, and I don't have that much.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
05-02-2015, 06:12 PM
If you don't think their is a God or Christ then maybe the place to start with is God exists relationally between us in our hearts and minds
05-02-2015, 07:20 PM
(05-02-2015 06:12 PM)Christian Wrote:  If you don't think their is a God or Christ then maybe the place to start with is God exists relationally between us in our hearts and minds

Would you care to try stating that in terms that are rationally comprehensible?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-02-2015, 07:28 PM
(05-02-2015 06:12 PM)Christian Wrote:  If you don’t think their is a God or Christ then maybe the place to start with is God exists relationally between us in our hearts and minds

Let me see if I can help you.

If you don’t think there is a God or a Christ then maybe the place to start looking is...is...

Nope, can’t begin to make sense of that last part. Back to REMEDIAL AND ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE (ESL) COURSEWORK for you.

http://www.cf.edu/go/financialaid/remedi...coursework

You’re welcome. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
06-02-2015, 06:44 AM
(05-02-2015 06:12 PM)Christian Wrote:  If you don't think their is a God or Christ then maybe the place to start with is God exists relationally between us in our hearts and minds

Why start with presupposition? Why not start with evidence (the kind that doesn't rely on presupposition)?

I mean, if I'm willing to presuppose leprechauns, I can "prove" those. Why do that, though? Why not look for proof that they exist before wasting our time on trying to figure out why they might exist?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
06-02-2015, 01:00 PM
(04-02-2015 03:00 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Sounds like mindless drivel from some apologist. Human choice is a cop-out answer to the problem of evil.

So a child dying from cancer, through no choice of their own, gives us "a sense of earned spirituality". Go f*** yourself and your god.

Not at all, but rather, the knowledge you hold to that cancer is evil, children are good, etc. may be an evolved construct or a spark of the divine. And don't get me started on the evil people who make everything from pollution to food products in the grocery store that promote cancer...

The other problem is that Satan also has free will and the angels, aligned with Satan or not, are playing out their own redemptive saga, too. The Bible is less "humanocentric" that you may think.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
06-02-2015, 03:04 PM
(06-02-2015 01:00 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 03:00 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Sounds like mindless drivel from some apologist. Human choice is a cop-out answer to the problem of evil.

So a child dying from cancer, through no choice of their own, gives us "a sense of earned spirituality". Go f*** yourself and your god.

Not at all, but rather, the knowledge you hold to that cancer is evil, children are good, etc. may be an evolved construct or a spark of the divine.

My money is on evolution. There is evidence for it. The divine? Not so much.

Quote:And don't get me started on the evil people who make everything from pollution to food products in the grocery store that promote cancer...

The other problem is that Satan also has free will and the angels, aligned with Satan or not, are playing out their own redemptive saga, too. The Bible is less "humanocentric" that you may think.

And the Bible is far less factual than you think.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-02-2015, 03:42 PM

Not at all, but rather, the knowledge you hold to that cancer is evil, children are good, etc. may be an evolved construct or a spark of the divine. And don't get me started on the evil people who make everything from pollution to food products in the grocery store that promote cancer...

Cancer isn't evil, you just asserted an anthropomorphic intent to it.Laughat

Yeah, god gave me the idea that children are good, otherwise I might be inclined to drown them in the bathtub, oh wait, your evil god already did that to the whole planet....

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
06-02-2015, 03:51 PM

Cancer is neutral. The issue is with how you interpret why things happen. The instant you attribute godly causality to anything you find yourself having to explain and absolve your omni-god. This is where we, atheists and theists, will always butt heads.

A child contracts cancer and dies. We atheists suffer and mourn but attach no supernatural meaning to why this happened.

A theist, as you so well have demonstrated, attaches supernatural meaning and tries to explain why your god allowed/commanded/ignored the situation. No matter what the apologists constructs as a reason it serves to only cheapen the tragedy.

I’d just as soon have all of you keep your misplaced explanations to yourselves and not attempt to convince us that everything has a reason or that god works in mysterious ways, all of it a placebo so you can sleep at night.

I look forward to the day that humanity can accept things as they really are without the need for comfortable myths.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
06-02-2015, 04:02 PM
(06-02-2015 01:00 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  And don't get me started on the evil people who make everything from pollution to food products in the grocery store that promote cancer...

In your world, if your god hadn't created cancer, and all diseases, in response to Adam and Eve merely eating the forbidden apple, there would be no possible way for any people to promote it.

How are those rose colored glasses working out for you? Drinking Beverage

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post