Is this argument a Gish Gallop

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2015, 06:59 AM
RE: Is this argument a Gish Gallop
That's more like it, Q Wink
You believe that if there are aliens they must be debating the same scriptures or the same fundamental gospel as we are then? Do you believe they exist? Is there an alien form of Islam out there alongside the alien form of Christianity? Wink

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2015, 01:22 PM
(24-02-2015 06:59 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  That's more like it, Q Wink
You believe that if there are aliens they must be debating the same scriptures or the same fundamental gospel as we are then? Do you believe they exist? Is there an alien form of Islam out there alongside the alien form of Christianity? Wink

Have you heard of angels Smile who are "longing to look into the gospel and see what's what down here"? Smile

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2015, 04:35 AM
Hrrm.. so angels then, but no independently created species?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
25-02-2015, 06:23 AM
(24-02-2015 01:22 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(24-02-2015 06:59 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  That's more like it, Q Wink

Have you heard of angels Smile who are "longing to look into the gospel and see what's what down here"? Smile

Here's your problem, you create these non-falsifiable fantasies that have no scientific basis. You are literally creating cheap knock-offs of religion with a dab of science mixed in.
Basically your model of reality is like Star Trek, it has elements of reality, but it's not quite reality. This is why you should use scientifically proven facts to base any model of reality upon.
I suppose your bizarre world of pseudo religion can work for you as long as you don't start believing you can fly by willing it or using Jeebus wings.
Here's a simple rule of thumb as you fly around in your imagination. There is no magic, if you try to step off a building ledge and fly, you'll probably die.
Have fun with your fantasies.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
25-02-2015, 07:19 AM
(25-02-2015 06:23 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Here's your problem, you create these non-falsifiable fantasies that have no scientific basis. You are literally creating cheap knock-offs of religion with a dab of science mixed in.

That's actually one of the first things that made me really question my beliefs.

I had spent about ten years off and on readjusting my beliefs to fit with what I understood of science and the Bible. When my doubts started creeping in, I found myself doing this with a new-found fervor. After a while, I realized that there was no basis for all of my speculation apart from just trying to get it to "make sense".

I remember distinctly thinking "why am I so worried about following a religion that I am making up as I go along?". That was the first time I can remember where I really started peeling the layers back as opposed to slathering more on top.

It is so weird the first time that happens.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
25-02-2015, 07:55 AM
(25-02-2015 07:19 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(25-02-2015 06:23 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Here's your problem, you create these non-falsifiable fantasies that have no scientific basis. You are literally creating cheap knock-offs of religion with a dab of science mixed in.

That's actually one of the first things that made me really question my beliefs.

I had spent about ten years off and on readjusting my beliefs to fit with what I understood of science and the Bible. When my doubts started creeping in, I found myself doing this with a new-found fervor. After a while, I realized that there was no basis for all of my speculation apart from just trying to get it to "make sense".

I remember distinctly thinking "why am I so worried about following a religion that I am making up as I go along?". That was the first time I can remember where I really started peeling the layers back as opposed to slathering more on top.

It is so weird the first time that happens.

I did the same thing, I held on to Old-Earth creationism as a band-aid to bridge the mountain of evidence against a young earth, having a strong interest in cosmology and understanding it didn't help either.

I never had an epiphany or aha! moment, I just slowly and silently disintegrated my beliefs until I realized- I really don't believe this stuff anymore, I suppose that realization is the epiphany.

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
25-02-2015, 10:09 AM
But there's no need to put square pegs in round holes to make Christianity work when you rely on the Bible and proper hermeneutics, and when the love of Christ controls you.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
25-02-2015, 10:09 AM
(25-02-2015 04:35 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Hrrm.. so angels then, but no independently created species?

I don't know if there are--it seems likely there would be based on the size of the universe--but yet again, speculation from men is answered in the Bible's presentation.

25-02-2015, 10:21 AM
(25-02-2015 10:09 AM)Delusion Boy Wrote:  But there's no need to put square pegs in round holes to make Christianity work when you rely on the Bible false myths and proper hermeneutics hald-assed rationalizations, and when the love of Christ self delusion controls you.

Fixed it for ya!

[Image: 44c.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
26-02-2015, 11:16 AM
(25-02-2015 10:21 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(25-02-2015 10:09 AM)Delusion Boy Wrote:  But there's no need to put square pegs in round holes to make Christianity work when you rely on the Bible false myths and proper hermeneutics hald-assed rationalizations, and when the love of Christ self delusion controls you.

Fixed it for ya!

[Image: 44c.jpg]

Is that your request for specific verses? Or a statement that Sponge Bob is now able to legally marry in certain states? Smile