Is this article racist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2016, 02:44 AM
Is this article racist?
I'm not referring to the subjects of the article. Lets just assume the subjects are a bunch of racists so we don't get into a debate about that. I'm talking about the article itself. Is the following a racist article about a bunch racists?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...53086.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2016, 03:11 AM
RE: Is this article racist?
(27-06-2016 02:44 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  ...
Is the following a racist article about a bunch racists?

I read it twice and as far as I could tell, there is only one reference to 'race' which is "A group of white men in Texas..." at the beginning of the article.

It just appears to be an interview (and some background filler) with a victim of indoctrination.

Are you suggesting that "A group of men in Texas..." would remove the race element? I'd agree.

In the same way "A group in Texas..." would have removed the gender element.

In fact those terms ('white' and 'men') are superfluous.

In the sentence "A group in Texas are training to shoot Muslims in case of an “uprising” ", I'd be amazed if anyone's reaction would be:

"Damn right! Those Asian children need to protect themselves" or "That's shocking! How can those black women be so intolerant"

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
27-06-2016, 04:45 AM
It's more about "When stupid meets ignorant"....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
27-06-2016, 05:55 AM
(27-06-2016 02:44 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I'm not referring to the subjects of the article. Lets just assume the subjects are a bunch of racists so we don't get into a debate about that. I'm talking about the article itself. Is the following a racist article about a bunch racists?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...53086.html

Accurate description is not racist.
It is a group, they are in Texas, they are men, and they are white.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-06-2016, 06:21 AM
I think this is where we go wrong when it comes to the subject of race/racism.

Using race as a descriptor is simply providing detail. DLJ is right, the words 'white' and 'men' are probably not needed in the sentence to get the story across. I am more unnerved by the concept of 'dipping the bullets in pig blood to send them to hell faster'. It's how they think not how they look that's more disturbing.

There is a hypersensitivity to using race when describing people. I don't understand that as I see it no different from describing a person using their height, build, hair and eye color, etc.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
27-06-2016, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't call this a racist article about a bunch of racist. The subject of the article is a dynamic of racial hatred motivated by xenophobia, strong mediatisation and a recent violence outbrake in America. To understand the dynamic, the articles has to mention some detail about his subject (AKA that they are white) since the hatred dynamic is opposing Arabs millitant Muslim fascist fundamentalist to their American isolationist Christian fundamentalist counterpart.

The article itself doesn't mention or implies that all white men are racist and dangerous. There is clear mention at the end of the article that, while anti-muslim sentiment and hate group (which composed of white men) have found some support in Texas, that people of all religion and background have protested against it (this woud include white men too).

Racism define itself has the belief that all members of a specific racial group share a specific set of characteristics, abilities or attitude that makes them either superior or inferior to other racial groups. Since the article specificly mention that not all white texan men are dangerous, violent racist, it cannot be called racist just like you can't call an article about ISIS war crimes racist unless it paints Muslim (or Arabs) in general under the color of ISIS.

What do you think about it? It's not fun if you are the only one asking the question after all.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 3 users Like epronovost's post
27-06-2016, 12:30 PM
(27-06-2016 09:36 AM)epronovost Wrote:  What do you think about it? It's not fun if you are the only one asking the question after all.

Suppose the article started out with the sentence, "A group of blue-eyed men in Texas...", I think most would find that a kind of odd thing to say. But replace "blue-eyed" with "white" and it doesn't raise an eyebrow......hmmm. So yeah, I think it is racist. But I also think racism is a lot like cancer. Sometimes it is malignant and sometimes it is benign. Racism can be broken into categories in other ways. Innocent and Malicious for instance.

This racism is relatively innocent and benign.
27-06-2016, 02:14 PM
(27-06-2016 12:30 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 09:36 AM)epronovost Wrote:  What do you think about it? It's not fun if you are the only one asking the question after all.

Suppose the article started out with the sentence, "A group of blue-eyed men in Texas...", I think most would find that a kind of odd thing to say. But replace "blue-eyed" with "white" and it doesn't raise an eyebrow......hmmm. So yeah, I think it is racist. But I also think racism is a lot like cancer. Sometimes it is malignant and sometimes it is benign. Racism can be broken into categories in other ways. Innocent and Malicious for instance.

Racism, as usually understood by the population and as defined by sociologist, doesn't equal talking about the race of someone or even mentionning the race of someone. Racism is defined itself as the belief that all members of a specific racial group share a specific set of characteristics, abilities or attitude that makes them either superior or inferior to other racial groups. Mentionning a group of white supremacist hate Muslims doesn't mean that white people are racist, it simply means that some white people are (unless of course the way you exposed it was dubious which is not the case in this situation).

As mention earlier,the goal of this article is to expose a dynamic of racial hatred between two group in America. Mentionning the «race» of the person in question is essential since you can't talk about a dynamic without mentionning whose part of it. If nobody raises an eyebrow at the mention white men, but would find odd the mention blue eyes, its because the first one is essential to understand the dynamic of racial hatred at pay here (which also rely on plenty of other articles outside this one). Blue eyes wouldn't mean anything in that context, but in the context of the Lesson of Discrimination it would have been very pertinent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Elliott

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
27-06-2016, 03:25 PM
In regards to the whole 'Race' thing?

I alwyas find it... odd.
Since thre are no races.

All Humans are the same species so, at best, other than the slight regional differences evolved over time, the only difference between different Humans of any great extant is their culture.

I never hear any one complaining of 'Culturist'. Tongue

Though, there's more than enough folks who'll pan other people's ethnicity, it tends to seem different from 'Racism'...

Just some thoughts.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
27-06-2016, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2016 03:37 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-06-2016 12:30 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

Were all the men "blue-eyed"? Were all the men white? Were they all men? If they started out with the sentence "A group of men in Texas..." Would that be sexist?

And I'm pretty sure Muslims don't believe they will go to hell if killed by a bullet soaked in pig's blood in the name of Allah. If I call them a bunch of ignoramuses would that be elitist?

#sigh