Is this article racist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2016, 03:34 PM
RE: Is this article racist?
So far in this section we have...

This thread, along with "thoughts on the white power movement" and a thread called "kill whitey"

Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-06-2016, 03:40 PM
(27-06-2016 02:44 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Is the following a racist article about a bunch racists?

I think it is an anti-racist bias rhetoric/perspective.

You should quote the article rather than insist we go to the website.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
27-06-2016, 05:26 PM
(27-06-2016 03:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 12:30 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Suppose the article started out with the sentence, "A group of blue-eyed men in Texas...", I think most would find that a kind of odd thing to say. But replace "blue-eyed" with "white" and it doesn't raise an eyebrow......hmmm. So yeah, I think it is racist. But I also think racism is a lot like cancer. Sometimes it is malignant and sometimes it is benign. Racism can be broken into categories in other ways. Innocent and Malicious for instance.

This racism is relatively innocent and benign.

Were all the men "blue-eyed"? Were all the men white? Were they all men? If they started out with the sentence "A group of men in Texas..." Would that be sexist?

And I'm pretty sure Muslims don't believe they will go to hell if killed by a bullet soaked in pig's blood in the name of Allah. If I call them a bunch of ignoramuses would that be elitist?

Wikipedia Wrote:Several months of increasing tensions coupled with various incidents preceded the actual rebellion. On 26 February 1857 the 19th Bengal Native Infantry (BNI) regiment became concerned that new cartridges they had been issued were wrapped in paper greased with cow and pig fat, which had to be opened by mouth thus affecting their religious sensibilities. Their Colonel confronted them supported by artillery and cavalry on the parade ground, but after some negotiation withdrew the artillery, and cancelled the next morning's parade

Guaranteed to offend both Hindus and Muslims - a real two-fer. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2016, 06:53 AM
(27-06-2016 05:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 02:44 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I'm not referring to the subjects of the article. Lets just assume the subjects are a bunch of racists so we don't get into a debate about that. I'm talking about the article itself. Is the following a racist article about a bunch racists?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...53086.html

Accurate description is not racist.
It is a group, they are in Texas, they are men, and they are white.

While what you said is true, we know the article would read differently if they were anything other than white men. If they were black men or women or even just white women, it would not mention race at all. Anyone remember the black out game? The one were black individuals would randomly punch a white person as hard as they could. The news was very careful to not mention race. If it was the Black Panthers training to shoot white people, I am not even sure the media would even mention it at all.
06-07-2016, 08:54 AM
No, I only see it (the phrase "white men") as a mean of identification rather than a racial bias. I don't think about it too much. In a world varied with races and ethnicity, it is sometimes necessary to identify the subject as such, specially in articles where the author's job is to make the story as clear as possible for the readers, much like with novels.
So the title could do without these two words yes, but I don't see their presence having much significance either. they're merely objective and informative in nature. But then it would all depend on the author's true intention, which is influenced by his moral system, which he did not reveal in this article.
[+] 1 user Likes JohnRaven's post
06-07-2016, 11:38 PM
Response: No, the article is not racists, it is racialized. I am defining a racialized society as “A society wherein race matters profoundly for differences in life experiences, life opportunities, and social relationships.” The “White men” self-identify as “White men.” Most likely they are Christian White men.

Irish Americans, Polish Americans, Swedish Americans, German Americans, Italian Americans, etc., tend not to be racists. Overwhelmingly, racists tend to self-identify as “White.” Therefore, to identify them as they identify themselves is correct and not racist, but obviously racialized. However, if I was writing the article I would state that the group self-identifies as “White.”

While whiteness is frequently invisible to those who are white, it is burdened with different layers of meaning: it is not just about skin color but is "rather more about the discursive practices that because of colonialism and neocolonialism, privilege and sustain the global dominance of white imperial subjects and Eurocentric world views.

Obviously, it takes a Christian mind to think of punishment “beyond the death threshold.” I don’t care if God or the Devil gets them. I only care that the terrorist is dead. Since a terrorist believes he is on a mission from God, the pig blood would not send them to hell. But then again, you don’t find Christians reading up on other religions.

Over the last 50 years there have been some social changes that have effected Whites (every other ethnic group also) with the outsourcing of jobs. Many Whites are no longer feeling privileged, the price of everything has gone up, but minimal wage WAS staying the same. But good paying jobs are few and far between. [However, I can become important by protecting the borders from terrorists crossing into Texas. I can stop the murders, and rapists from crossing the border. Trump is telling us what we have to do. We have to get tough. Remember he said he would pay for lawyers. [Sarcasm!]]

This has more to do with individualists having a purpose to unite around. We get to use are guns with our new friends, and bond with other “Whites.” Real Americans.
[+] 1 user Likes oneofshibumi's post
07-07-2016, 12:45 AM
(27-06-2016 03:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ..

This thread, along with "thoughts on the white power movement" and a thread called "kill whitey"

Dodgy

The White family is in hiding.

Just like poor old Bill Posters. Gasp

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.