Is this book for real? WE have a mental disorder?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2013, 09:26 PM
RE: Is this book for real? WE have a mental disorder?
I'd call atheism a personality disorder, treatable but not encouraged to be treated.

I would probably call theism a personality disorder a bit before atheism, though.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Anyone have any idea of the content of the book. He does have decent credentials, although nothing relating to psychology. Also he might just be using the title for sensationalist effect and sales

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
15-11-2013, 07:53 AM
(13-11-2013 01:17 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Apart from this title you linked to, which I haven't read, do you suppose the other 90% of humanity has a mental disorder? Is the god delusion genetic? And if so, isn't it a genetic flaw in your opinion?

Well, according to Sigmund Freud, monotheistic belief is a delusion. Believers suffer from "obsessional neurosis." The Gale Dictionary of Psychoanalysis defines obsessional neurosis very well.

"The term obsessional neurosis (or compulsive neurosis) denotes a condition in which the patient's mind is intruded upon (against his or her will) by images, ideas, or words. The patient's consciousness nevertheless remains lucid and his or her power to reason remains intact." BowingBowing

One of Freud's more poignant ideas on religious delusion is stated below:

“comprises a system of wishful illusions together with a disavowal of reality, such as we find in an isolated form nowhere else but amentia, in a state of blissful hallucinatory confusion"

Amentia: severe congenital mental handicap. Shocking

If the shoe fits...
[+] 1 user Likes jaguar3030's post
15-11-2013, 08:04 AM
(15-11-2013 07:53 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 01:17 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Apart from this title you linked to, which I haven't read, do you suppose the other 90% of humanity has a mental disorder? Is the god delusion genetic? And if so, isn't it a genetic flaw in your opinion?

Well, according to Sigmund Freud, monotheistic belief is a delusion. Believers suffer from "obsessional neurosis." The Gale Dictionary of Psychoanalysis defines obsessional neurosis very well.

"The term obsessional neurosis (or compulsive neurosis) denotes a condition in which the patient's mind is intruded upon (against his or her will) by images, ideas, or words. The patient's consciousness nevertheless remains lucid and his or her power to reason remains intact." BowingBowing

“comprises a system of wishful illusions together with a disavowal of reality, such as we find in an isolated form nowhere else but amentia, in a state of blissful hallucinatory confusion"

If the shoe fits...

Delusions, like everything else, is a matter of degrees. There are minor delusions, like when you think your pets understand what you are saying or you believe you'll see your grandparent after death. These are a far cry from the more major delusions; such as the 'it's true as told in the Bible' Biblical fundamentalists, suicide bombers, and anyone that buys into Glen Beck or the Tea Party...

You simply can't paint everyone with the same brush. I'm afraid I'd punch PJ or Heywood in the face if we met in person, but I'd share a beer with KC.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
15-11-2013, 09:38 AM
(15-11-2013 08:04 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 07:53 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  Well, according to Sigmund Freud, monotheistic belief is a delusion. Believers suffer from "obsessional neurosis." The Gale Dictionary of Psychoanalysis defines obsessional neurosis very well.

If the shoe fits...

Delusions, like everything else, is a matter of degrees. There are minor delusions, like when you think your pets understand what you are saying or you believe you'll see your grandparent after death. These are a far cry from the more major delusions; such as the 'it's true as told in the Bible' Biblical fundamentalists, suicide bombers, and anyone that buys into Glen Beck or the Tea Party...

You simply can't paint everyone with the same brush. I'm afraid I'd punch PJ or Heywood in the face if we met in person, but I'd share a beer with KC.

There are varying degrees of everything. Of course you can't paint everyone with the same brush. The response was a response to PleaseJesus, who asked if '90% of the world had a mental disorder.'

Well, a religious delusion is still a delusion--no matter the 'degree'. Just like prostate cancer is still cancer, even though it is one of the easiest to treat.

You would never hear anyone say, "well that's a good cancer to have!" Likewise, saying "well that's a good religious delusion to have!" is an equally strange statement.
15-11-2013, 11:00 AM
(15-11-2013 08:04 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 07:53 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  Well, according to Sigmund Freud, monotheistic belief is a delusion. Believers suffer from "obsessional neurosis." The Gale Dictionary of Psychoanalysis defines obsessional neurosis very well.

If the shoe fits...

Possibility 1: KC is more loving, more Christ-like, and you are drawn to him the way sinners are drawn to Jesus. That's a god thing and a good thing.
15-11-2013, 11:02 AM
(15-11-2013 09:38 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 08:04 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Delusions, like everything else, is a matter of degrees. There are minor delusions, like when you think your pets understand what you are saying or you believe you'll see your grandparent after death. These are a far cry from the more major delusions; such as the 'it's true as told in the Bible' Biblical fundamentalists, suicide bombers, and anyone that buys into Glen Beck or the Tea Party...

There are varying degrees of everything. Of course you can't paint everyone with the same brush. The response was a response to PleaseJesus, who asked if '90% of the world had a mental disorder.'

Well, a religious delusion is still a delusion--no matter the 'degree'. Just like prostate cancer is still cancer, even though it is one of the easiest to treat.

You would never hear anyone say, "well that's a good cancer to have!" Likewise, saying "well that's a good religious delusion to have!" is an equally strange statement.

Early detection + non-vital organ/system = doctor says, "It's cancer but it's good to go..."

You've brought forth another reason why the atheist glass is eternally half empty.
15-11-2013, 11:49 AM
(14-11-2013 09:00 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(14-11-2013 01:07 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Apparently he has a case of
Paranoid Personality Disorder.

You should resist the urge to try and pathologise your opponents because you doing so to some extent undermines your own (strong) arguments against that behaviour.

You have insufficient information to diagnose the author of a personality disorder and even if he had such a personality disorder it would not eliminate the need to answer his argument (if you cared to do so). You are committing argumentum ad hominem. He too is committing argumentum ad hominem but if you commit it also you forfeit the ability to the point that out.
I agree with the point you are making, but my comment was just tongue-in-cheek.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
15-11-2013, 12:04 PM
(15-11-2013 11:02 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 09:38 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  There are varying degrees of everything. Of course you can't paint everyone with the same brush. The response was a response to PleaseJesus, who asked if '90% of the world had a mental disorder.'

Early detection + non-vital organ/system = doctor says, "It's cancer but it's good to go..."

You've brought forth another reason why the atheist glass is eternally half empty.

Half empty?
Psssh...everyone knows that atoms are over 99% empty space, so that glass is no where CLOSE to half empty. More like <99% empty.

Oh, and as doctors say that about some types of cancer, we atheists say that about some types of religious delusions. "They aren't so far gone, we can hopefully show them the fallacies in their delusions."
[+] 1 user Likes jaguar3030's post
15-11-2013, 12:20 PM
(15-11-2013 11:02 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 09:38 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  There are varying degrees of everything. Of course you can't paint everyone with the same brush. The response was a response to PleaseJesus, who asked if '90% of the world had a mental disorder.'

Better half empty than full of bull&#$^

From you perspective, when you crunch the numbers, how many others besides the atheists glasses are half full.

All that don't believe in your god
All that don't believe in your version of that god
All that don't believe in your flavor of that version of that god
All that don't believe in your interpretation of that flavor of that version of that god