Is this evidence child obedience training is harmful?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 08:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 09:04 PM by sporehux.)
Is this evidence child obedience training is harmful?
You all should know about this awful incident, I was wondering if I could link it to PleaseJesus how to train a child nonsense, It was bugging me why she and the managers would "comply" like that.

Then at 2:10, bomb shell!!, am I just getting confirmation bias, or do you think this is a strong link to show the inherent evil of obedience conditioning.

I'm reasonably sure I would pass (by pass I mean stop doing it) the milgram experiment , but I'm very sure my kids would pass, as I specifically forbid obedience from their upbringing.

Goto 2:10 ...."Do What Adults say, I was taught when someone smacks you on the hand you listen"

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
05-12-2013, 07:48 AM
RE: Is this evidence child obedience training is harmful?
CensoredAngry:AngryAngry

that poor girl. No

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
05-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Confirmatory bias, I'm afraid.

A part of Christian training is not "when a non-Christian adult tells you to do something shameful or obscene or sexual or hits you on the hand," you listen. No, no, 1,000 times no.
05-12-2013, 08:36 PM
(05-12-2013 01:44 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Confirmatory bias, I'm afraid.

A part of Christian training is not "when a non-Christian adult tells you to do something shameful or obscene or sexual or hits you on the hand," you listen. No, no, 1,000 times no.

What Shocking

06-12-2013, 03:31 AM
(05-12-2013 01:44 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Confirmatory bias, I'm afraid.

I didn't understand your position. What do you mean specifically by confirmation bias? (not confimatory bias) Because I don't have any bias waiting to be confirmed. And what if a Christian adult tells you to do these things?

Also, she was indoctrinated in her childhood to listen to adults. The harmful effects of such an indoctrination are clearly visible.

Would you please elaborate on your statement? I am afraid it wasn't clear enough.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
06-12-2013, 04:11 AM
(06-12-2013 03:31 AM)Youkay Wrote:  I didn't understand your position. What do you mean specifically by confirmation bias? (not confimatory bias) Because I don't have any bias waiting to be confirmed. And what if a Christian adult tells you to do these things?

Also, she was indoctrinated in her childhood to listen to adults. The harmful effects of such an indoctrination are clearly visible.

Would you please elaborate on your statement? I am afraid it wasn't clear enough.

The reason the human species has progressed so much is because our children listen to, learn, and for the most part obey direction from adults. Also I believe most christen sects teach that children should obey their parents except when their parents direct them to commit a sin....so it is not a strict/blind obedience that is taught.
06-12-2013, 05:02 AM
When you use corporal punishment to train obedience into children.
They lose the ability to rationalise what the limits should be to obedience.

[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
06-12-2013, 06:15 AM
This is horrible.
Did they find the caller?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
06-12-2013, 07:00 AM
(06-12-2013 04:11 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The reason the human species has progressed so much is because our children listen to, learn, and for the most part obey direction from adults.

You've got that wrong. The reason why the human species has progressed so much is intelligence and imagination, not obedience... (Other) Animals show obedience, too.

(06-12-2013 04:11 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Also I believe most christen sects teach that children should obey their parents except when their parents direct them to commit a sin....so it is not a strict/blind obedience that is taught.

Obviously!

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
[+] 1 user Likes Youkay's post
06-12-2013, 07:33 AM
(06-12-2013 05:02 AM)sporehux Wrote:  When you use corporal punishment to train obedience into children.
They lose the ability to rationalise what the limits should be to obedience.

here hereAngry
*shakes head* for the subject of child beating.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.