Is this evidence child obedience training is harmful?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2013, 01:57 PM
RE: Is this evidence child obedience training is harmful?
(06-12-2013 07:00 AM)Youkay Wrote:  You've got that wrong. The reason why the human species has progressed so much is intelligence and imagination, not obedience... (Other) Animals show obedience, too.

If children never obeyed their parents(or other adults) very few would survive into adulthood.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2013, 02:33 PM
(06-12-2013 01:57 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If children never obeyed their parents(or other adults) very few would survive into adulthood.

Proof in the form of a link or citation, please. You do have something other than your 'gut' to back this statement up, yes?

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
06-12-2013, 02:42 PM
(06-12-2013 02:33 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 01:57 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If children never obeyed their parents(or other adults) very few would survive into adulthood.

Proof in the form of a link or citation, please. You do have something other than your 'gut' to back this statement up, yes?

Didn't your mom ever say, "You're six years old, if you want to live to see seven, do what I say!"? Angel
06-12-2013, 02:55 PM
(05-12-2013 01:44 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Confirmatory bias, I'm afraid.

A part of Christian training is not "when a non-Christian adult tells you to do something shameful or obscene or sexual or hits you on the hand," you listen. No, no, 1,000 times no.

You motherfucker.

"when a non-Christian" But if he is a Christian then you should listen?

You are one of the worst people I have ever encountered, and have encountered a good deal of bad people.
You make me sick.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 5 users Like Slowminded's post
06-12-2013, 02:56 PM
IMO, corporal punishment (and I don't mean occasional spankings) teaches girls to subconsciously respect and listen to those who are more physically powerful than you. Not a good thing for those who end up in abusive relationships down the road.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
[+] 5 users Like Ohio Sky's post
06-12-2013, 03:21 PM
(06-12-2013 04:11 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Also I believe most christen sects teach that children should obey their parents except when their parents direct them to commit a sin...so it is not a strict/blind obedience that is taught.

A child trusts a parent because that is all the child has and all the child knows. The more insular the relationship, the less the child will even comprehend any availability of choice. I do not doubt that most children in such a situation, will grow up with a stunted sense of choice, personal judgement, and self and self awareness.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
06-12-2013, 04:05 PM
(06-12-2013 02:42 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Didn't your mom ever say, "You're six years old, if you want to live to see seven, do what I say!"? Angel

Mom was a paramedic. She'd use the 'now, what did you learn?' parenting style while racing to the emergency room for the 100th time. It was very effective Tongue

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 1 user Likes guitar_nut's post
06-12-2013, 04:12 PM
(06-12-2013 05:02 AM)sporehux Wrote:  When you use corporal punishment to train obedience into children.
They lose the ability to rationalise what the limits should be to obedience.

even though i think corporal punishment is very wrong,i have to dissagree. I have been raised that way,and i damn sure won't do anything i deem to be wrong.
If you add a "almost all children" instead of "they" i forgive you. It seems to imply every child is that way.
Again,in no way defending corporal punishment

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
06-12-2013, 04:14 PM
(06-12-2013 02:42 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 02:33 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Proof in the form of a link or citation, please. You do have something other than your 'gut' to back this statement up, yes?

Didn't your mom ever say, "You're six years old, if you want to live to see seven, do what I say!"? Angel

no

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
06-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Using the "I'm a christian" as vouch for raising a hand to a child is right there alongside "God wills it" during the Crusades or other ridiculous choices using a god as justification for action.
Sickening.
Using ANY religion as justification for an immoral act is just self-indulgence. How lazy you are for hiding behind a god to do as you please with someone probably less than HALF your size; someone with NO power, no money, no recourse, no ability to escape any injustice. A justice or INjustice that's determined by You believing in your own fairness Only and By your own hand. How convenient for you. How bloody convenient for you.

You don't even know how full of shit you really are - do you?
And since your mind seems made up - NO AMOUNT of members here expressing their disagreement, taking time to explain to you other viewpoints, etc makes ONE bit of difference to you whatsoever. Yep - that's smart, rational and full of love........just as any parent should be.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post