Is this evidence child obedience training is harmful?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2013, 04:23 PM
RE: Is this evidence child obedience training is harmful?
My question on the subject of spanking children remains the SAME and still unanswered:

Why spank a child when you do not have to? Why?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2013, 05:52 PM
(06-12-2013 02:55 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 01:44 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Confirmatory bias, I'm afraid.

A part of Christian training is not "when a non-Christian adult tells you to do something shameful or obscene or sexual or hits you on the hand," you listen. No, no, 1,000 times no.

You motherfucker.

"when a non-Christian" But if he is a Christian then you should listen?

You are one of the worst people I have ever encountered, and have encountered a good deal of bad people.
You make me sick.

PleaseJesus never said you should listen when a Christian tells you to do those things(at least not in this thread).

You are just assuming that is what PleaseJesus means by "when a non-Christian". I'm not sure why he chose to use "non-Christian". Maybe he is trying to convey the ideal that Christians teach their children to respect and obey all adults....not just Christians. Maybe he is assuming the person on the phone and manager in the office are non-Christians. Who knows what he means.

The sentence is awkward and ambiguous. You really have no reason to call him a motherfucker yet.
06-12-2013, 05:56 PM
I remember this story when it first happened. You are not showing confirmation bias, Sporehux.

When you are told to always obey, no matter what, you lose the ability to think critically about what is happening. She was obeying blindly the manager, and the manager was blinding obeying the "detective" on the phone. It is not a coincidence that both of them were raised with religion.

I think at some point, I would have just said Fuck you and walked out of the office, buck naked, and demanded someone in the restaurant call the police.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
06-12-2013, 06:03 PM
(06-12-2013 06:15 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  This is horrible.
Did they find the caller?

Yes they did. He was actually a corrections officer.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...ck_check=1

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
06-12-2013, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 06:16 PM by Cathym112.)
(06-12-2013 02:56 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  IMO, corporal punishment (and I don't mean occasional spankings) teaches girls to subconsciously respect and listen to those who are more physically powerful than you. Not a good thing for those who end up in abusive relationships down the road.

This is actually why the Disney movie princess stories are very bad for girls. All the stories are subliminal messages of submission, obedience, as well as the horrible message that "love hurts"

Beauty and the beast - he isolates her, withholds food, is jealous, controlling and is prone to throwing things in a rage. The message is that if Belle will just love him enough, he'll turn into a prince.

Ariel - communicate with your body instead of your voice. Do not speak out. She escapes her controlling father into the arms of another man.

Aurora - wait for a man to come kiss you and wake you up. You need that man, otherwise you will stay asleep

The list goes on. The only women empowerment as of recent have been Mulan, and Mirda or whatever her name is from Brave.

**edit: this is my opinion. Not fact.

[+] 4 users Like Cathym112's post
06-12-2013, 06:26 PM
(06-12-2013 06:03 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 06:15 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  This is horrible.
Did they find the caller?

Yes they did. He was actually a corrections officer.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...ck_check=1

ERROR!!! Two things: 1) I cut and pasted the wrong article, and 2) I knew someone was arrested for it, I just never followed up. He was acquitted. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/15504125/#.UqJqbKVrCfE

06-12-2013, 06:54 PM
(06-12-2013 05:52 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 02:55 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  You motherfucker.

"when a non-Christian" But if he is a Christian then you should listen?

You are one of the worst people I have ever encountered, and have encountered a good deal of bad people.
You make me sick.

PleaseJesus never said you should listen when a Christian tells you to do those things(at least not in this thread).

You are just assuming that is what PleaseJesus means by "when a non-Christian". I'm not sure why he chose to use "non-Christian". Maybe he is trying to convey the ideal that Christians teach their children to respect and obey all adults....not just Christians. Maybe he is assuming the person on the phone and manager in the office are non-Christians. Who knows what he means.

The sentence is awkward and ambiguous. You really have no reason to call him a motherfucker yet.
Oh, I know exactly what he meant by his comment.

In his sentence , the adult being a Christian or non-Christian is the sole factor offered in deciding whether a kid should obey orders or not. So, by specifying that a child should not listen to a non-Christian, he explicitly implied that if he the adult is Christian a child should obey ( Of course he tried to convey the idea that a Christian wouldn't act as the people in the video, but we all know that that is not true either , so that is beside the point completely ) .
The accent and the deciding factor according to his sentence is not on what the adult is ordering but on who the adult is ( Christian or non-Christian ) .

If you had any powers of comprehension what people are saying you would also understand exactly what he meant.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
06-12-2013, 07:10 PM
(06-12-2013 06:54 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Oh, I know exactly what he meant by his comment.

In his sentence , the adult being a Christian or non-Christian is the sole factor offered in deciding whether a kid should obey orders or not. So, by specifying that a child should not listen to a non-Christian, he explicitly implied that if he the adult is Christian a child should obey ( Of course he tried to convey the idea that a Christian wouldn't act as the people in the video, but we all know that that is not true either , so that is beside the point completely ) .
The accent and the deciding factor according to his sentence is not on what the adult is ordering but on who the adult is ( Christian or non-Christian ) .

If you had any powers of comprehension what people are saying you would also understand exactly what he meant.

Do yourself a favor and look up the world explicitly and the word implied. When figure out how you've misused those words you can write something intelligible. Now if it is possible for you to butcher the ideal you were trying to convey....it possible PleaseJesus did so too.
06-12-2013, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 07:23 PM by Slowminded.)
(06-12-2013 07:10 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 06:54 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Oh, I know exactly what he meant by his comment.

Do yourself a favor and look up the world explicitly and the word implied. When figure out how you've misused those words you can write something intelligible. Now if it is possible for you to butcher the ideal you were trying to convey....it possible PleaseJesus did so too.

Yeah, that was a bad choice of words ( it has to do with the translation of "explicitly" to my native language in which "explicitly" also means something like "clearly" or "intentionally" in this context ) , nothing to do with the point I was making tho.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
06-12-2013, 07:20 PM
(06-12-2013 07:10 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

He used it as an oxymoron, moron. Awfully good. Clearly Misunderstood. Deceptively honest. You can explicitly imply something.