Is this evidence child obedience training is harmful?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2013, 07:21 PM
RE: Is this evidence child obedience training is harmful?
(06-12-2013 04:11 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 03:31 AM)Youkay Wrote:  I didn't understand your position. What do you mean specifically by confirmation bias? (not confimatory bias) Because I don't have any bias waiting to be confirmed. And what if a Christian adult tells you to do these things?

Also, she was indoctrinated in her childhood to listen to adults. The harmful effects of such an indoctrination are clearly visible.

Would you please elaborate on your statement? I am afraid it wasn't clear enough.

The reason the human species has progressed so much is because our children listen to, learn, and for the most part obey direction from adults. Also I believe most christen sects teach that children should obey their parents except when their parents direct them to commit a sin....so it is not a strict/blind obedience that is taught.

Who is the authority on what is a sin and what isn't? Who tells the child what is right and what is wrong? The adult. My kids may struggle in grade school because I have taught them that they do not obey other adults, but I think it is worth it in the long run. Their entire lives I have not only told them but also shown them that the most important thing in my life is their well being. I have earned their trust and taught them to make everyone else do so as well. Being an adult does not make someone trustworthy. I personally don't think it's safe to teach your kids to trust and/or obey adults.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2013, 07:25 PM
(06-12-2013 07:18 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 07:10 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Do yourself a favor and look up the world explicitly and the word implied. When figure out how you've misused those words you can write something intelligible. Now if it is possible for you to butcher the ideal you were trying to convey....it possible PleaseJesus did so too.

Yeah, that was a bad choice of words , nothing to do with the point I was making tho.

What is your point? That PJ explicitly said something or just implied something? Your sentence is awkward and ambiguous. Were you talking about something else, somebody might assume what they want and feel they have cause to call you a mother fucker.
06-12-2013, 07:37 PM
(06-12-2013 07:25 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 07:18 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Yeah, that was a bad choice of words , nothing to do with the point I was making tho.

What is your point? That PJ explicitly said something or just implied something? Your sentence is awkward and ambiguous. Were you talking about something else, somebody might assume what they want and feel they have cause to call you a mother fucker.

Like I said. Its an oxymoron, moron.

Slowminded is just clearly misunderstood, but thats just old news. Thumbsup

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
06-12-2013, 07:38 PM
(06-12-2013 07:25 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 07:18 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Yeah, that was a bad choice of words , nothing to do with the point I was making tho.

Quote: it has to do with the translation of "explicitly" to my native language in which "explicitly" also means something like "clearly" or "intentionally" in this context

Also, I don't care if someone calls me a motherfucker.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
06-12-2013, 09:07 PM
(06-12-2013 01:57 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 07:00 AM)Youkay Wrote:  You've got that wrong. The reason why the human species has progressed so much is intelligence and imagination, not obedience... (Other) Animals show obedience, too.

If children never obeyed their parents(or other adults) very few would survive into adulthood.

I just want to drive this message home.

Every mammal is obedient to its parents until they come of age. And there are other large animal kingdoms where this is the general rule, too.

Therefore, it is immediately obvious that this characteristic is not only inherent to human beings. Hence, it can not be the sole reason for humans to have thrived like they did.

It is obvious that the factors that shaped the human race the most are technological (scientific) and social progress, which required intelligence, creativity and imagination.

In conclusion:
The answer to "why has the human species been so successful?" is not "because of obedience" but "because of the vast potential of their brains."

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
08-12-2013, 04:51 PM

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
08-12-2013, 05:07 PM
(08-12-2013 04:51 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  

Oh, ick. Sadcryface

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2013, 01:41 AM
(08-12-2013 04:51 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  

If I'm not mistaken, they appear to be prime candidates for becoming battered wives... Dodgy

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
09-12-2013, 05:18 AM
My wife worked at a Christian school for some time. During school holidays teachers were required to attend video-based training sessions, including one on obedience to authority. The video was very clear: To question authority is contra-biblical, poisonous, and a pathway to hell.

Remember kids, your pastor is always right - no matter what.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
09-12-2013, 10:08 AM
(06-12-2013 05:52 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 02:55 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  You motherfucker.

"when a non-Christian" But if he is a Christian then you should listen?

You are one of the worst people I have ever encountered, and have encountered a good deal of bad people.
You make me sick.

PleaseJesus never said you should listen when a Christian tells you to do those things(at least not in this thread).

You are just assuming that is what PleaseJesus means by "when a non-Christian". I'm not sure why he chose to use "non-Christian". Maybe he is trying to convey the ideal that Christians teach their children to respect and obey all adults....not just Christians. Maybe he is assuming the person on the phone and manager in the office are non-Christians. Who knows what he means.

The sentence is awkward and ambiguous. You really have no reason to call him a motherfucker yet.
Stretch much? You can pussyfoot around if you want to. The rest of us can see what's completely obvious. Drinking Beverage

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair