Poll: Should this photographer face legal action?
Yes
No
I'm undecided
I have no idea, I'm only voting so I don't feel left out
[Show Results]

Is this fair?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2013, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2013 01:07 PM by Hughsie.)
Is this fair?
I heard an account recently of a homosexual photographer somewhere in America who was contacted by a Christian organisation to cover an event they were holding (I'm not sure what the event was but it was something benign I think). After realising he had been contacted by a Christian organisation (and one that was opposed to gay rights) he refused the job on moral grounds because of their views on homosexuality.

He is now facing a discrimination lawsuit for his actions.

What is anyone's view of this, and where does your opinion stem from?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2013, 01:11 PM
RE: Is this fair?
Is what fair? The photographer's refusal or the discrimination lawsuit? I didn't vote because my vote would be opposite depending on which.

My view is that the Christian organization is seeing some natural consequences of their bigotry and the photographer is well within his rights. And, of course the Christian organization is suing. They just don't know how to stay out of other people's lives. "My way or the highway."

Edit:
Oops, I saw the poll caption after I saved the above. So now I have voted.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
18-10-2013, 01:12 PM
(18-10-2013 01:02 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I heard an account recently of a homosexual photographer somewhere in America who was contacted by a Christian organisation to cover an event they were holding (I'm not sure what the event was but it was something benign I think). After realising he had been contacted by a Christian organisation (and one that was opposed to gay rights) he refused the job on moral grounds because of their views on homosexuality.

He is now facing a discrimination lawsuit for his actions.

What is anyone's view of this, and where does your opinion stem from?

Pretty sure he has the right to deny his services for any reason whatsoever... just like a private business has a right to deny their business to anyone.

The only exceptions are federally protected statuses... one of those is religion.

So, the religious organization has legal right to sue... pretty pathetic, though.

The guy should have just denied his services and not given a reason. Pretty sure people could have figured it out. But, now that he's announced that it's because of the religion that he's denying services, then it becomes discrimination.

It's messed up, but it is legally correct.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
18-10-2013, 01:12 PM
I think Pandora's box has been opened - rebuttal might prove to be fruitful.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
18-10-2013, 01:18 PM
I mean, it's pretty cut and dry. You can replace it with any protected status and get the same result.

It a white photographer denied his services to a black group because they were black then there really wouldn't be a discussion. It's discrimination.

The slight difference is that he's denying services because of the religion's stance; not because of the religion; however, it's still makes up the religion. That needs to be his defense... but it seems pretty evident that the religious organization has this wrapped up from a legal stand point.

[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
18-10-2013, 01:21 PM
The photographer was under contract. Its his fault he's in this mess not doing research on the company. Think of it, this sounds like a very time sensitive issue. This event is only going to happen once. If you have a guy under contract to shoot this event he must be there. If this was just a regular dude, lets say he was sick on that day and couldn't make it. The company has every right to complain. The discrimination charges though..I don't know thats a further issue.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
18-10-2013, 01:22 PM
(18-10-2013 01:21 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  The photographer was under contract. Its his fault he's in this mess not doing research on the company. Think of it, this sounds like a very time sensitive issue. This event is only going to happen once. If you have a guy under contract to shoot this event he must be there. If this was just a regular dude, lets say he was sick on that day and couldn't make it. The company has every right to complain.

I was under the impression that he never signed any agreement. He turned down the job because of his moral views. I can't be sure but that's the assumption I'm working to.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
18-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Maybe parroting the arguments from the religious organization on how they discriminate, but don't discriminate, could prove useful. And childish.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
18-10-2013, 01:28 PM
(18-10-2013 01:22 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(18-10-2013 01:21 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  The photographer was under contract. Its his fault he's in this mess not doing research on the company. Think of it, this sounds like a very time sensitive issue. This event is only going to happen once. If you have a guy under contract to shoot this event he must be there. If this was just a regular dude, lets say he was sick on that day and couldn't make it. The company has every right to complain.

I was under the impression that he never signed any agreement. He turned down the job because of his moral views. I can't be sure but that's the assumption I'm working to.
I'm just going by what you gave me. You said he was under contract, which means both parties were in agreement. What happens after the fact makes no difference.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
18-10-2013, 01:30 PM
(18-10-2013 01:28 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(18-10-2013 01:22 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I was under the impression that he never signed any agreement. He turned down the job because of his moral views. I can't be sure but that's the assumption I'm working to.
I'm just going by what you gave me. You said he was under contract, which means both parties were in agreement. What happens after the fact makes no difference.

conTACTed not conTRACTed