Is this normal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Is this normal?
I was on the computer minding my own business when my aunt comes up to me and says "Get off the computer! What makes you think you can get on the internet? You need to stop thinking of yourself! You are being disrespectful!"

For context I was grounded yesterday, but not today. Now I am grounded again today because I got on the computer, when I wasn't even grounded. Not sure I understand how i was being selfish or disrespectful either. Is my aunt insane?

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2010, 10:12 AM
RE: Is this normal?
I guess it depends on what the rules in your house are with regard to the internet. Round here, my daughters (the oldest is 14) have to ask permission to go on the internet. But that's a standing rule. If You are normally allowed on the internet without asking, then I'd say that maybe your aunt could have been under the impression that you were still grounded? What role does she play? (Is she your primary parent, does she live with you, that sort of thing).

So many cats, so few good recipes.
30-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Yes, normally I am allowed on without permission. I do not live with her, but my mother and I rely on her for food since we do not own a fridge or stove (don't judge please Sad ). I explained to her that I was no longer grounded but she simply dismissed by claim by stating "YEAH WELL NO ONE TOLD YOU COULD GET BACK ON THE INTERNET"

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
30-12-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm assuming this was at her house then? Maybe the best way to deal is to go to her and say something like, "I'm sorry for going on without permission. I misunderstood the rules here, since normally I am allowed to go on without asking. I'll remember to ask you next time."

It's kind of a shitty deal for you, but saying something like that might soften her a little, and let her know that you weren't intentionally being disrespectful. Sometimes us older folks forget that we make mistakes too. It sucks, and a gentle reminder from our kids (or nephews) is sometimes all we need to remember that just because we're older doesn't mean we don't screw up too.

Good luck!

31-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Or if you have a dad like mine, you get your mom and uncle on your side to make him feel like an ass Big Grin
31-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Let me see if I understand this correctly; you are posting on an Internet forum to tell us you are grounded TODAY from being on the Internet, and you don't understand how you are being accused of being disrespectful? Does that about sum it up?
31-12-2010, 02:23 PM
(31-12-2010 01:41 PM)gamutman Wrote:  Let me see if I understand this correctly; you are posting on an Internet forum to tell us you are grounded TODAY from being on the Internet, and you don't understand how you are being accused of being disrespectful? Does that about sum it up?

LMAO! Holy shit, how did I not notice that??

31-12-2010, 02:43 PM
(31-12-2010 02:23 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(31-12-2010 01:41 PM)gamutman Wrote:  Let me see if I understand this correctly; you are posting on an Internet forum to tell us you are grounded TODAY from being on the Internet, and you don't understand how you are being accused of being disrespectful? Does that about sum it up?

I postulate that it is because you were distracted by the cat in your pants.
31-12-2010, 03:19 PM
(31-12-2010 02:43 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  
(31-12-2010 02:23 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  

I postulate that it is because you were distracted by the cat in your pants.

*looking around nervously*

OK, whadimiss??????

31-12-2010, 04:24 PM
I don't know enough about your kin to say anything, but I'll still give some obvious tips.

- The most obvious one: never ever act like a teenage girl.
- Try to have rational discussions about this stuff. If you canĀ“t and it's because the one you're trying to discuss with is metaphorically a nazi, live with it until you're old enough to fly out from the nest.

On some other thread you told that your kin doesn't like you posting stuff about religion to your facebook.

- Don't post that stuff to sites like that. Express yourself on forums like this, that your kin don't know about. If you know that you'll get in trouble by posting stuff about religion to facebook, it's just mental masochism to do so.

- Well equipped libraries have computers and internet. Wink

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.