Is this permissible by state and federal law under the U.S. Constitution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2014, 07:53 PM
RE: Is this permissible by state and federal law under the U.S. Constitution?
(09-02-2014 04:24 PM)bemore Wrote:  Why are those police officers wearing combat fatigues?

Whatever next.... armored personnel carriers?

Sadly, not all say "no."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/24/spo...over-from/

Quote:Ohio State University campus police got one, saying they would use it in large-scale emergencies and to provide a police presence on football game days.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2014, 07:51 AM
(07-02-2014 06:38 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 03:25 PM)mrlmichael Wrote:  ... "if you don't have anything to hide, why are you so worried". It does feel like a bit of invasion of privacy to me. I don't know the entire situation, are drugs a big problem at this school? That might help me mold a better opinion.

In any event, this is part of the reason I never used lockers.

My health teacher claimed, in the class that I was in when this happened, "well if you don't have any drugs in your bag, why are you so worried?"

This pissed me off to the point of near-insanity.

And, to respond to your question, I have never seen drugs as being a problem at school (I've never even heard people talk about obtaining or using them).

I don't even use a locker and I was subjected to this search.
I do not like that line of reasoning either. Having people go through my stuff without cause drives me knuts. I have real issues with being treated like criminal when I fly. People should not be searched with out probably cause. Having said that, the 4th does not apply in places you do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Schools, airports other government building is not a place you should have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Unless the had a tip that drugs were in the school the dog should not have been brought. Unless they had a tip you had drugs, your bag should not have been searched. Police and school abministrators over react because it is permissiable by law for them to do so.
10-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Here is the thing about things like airport security. Sure, you could argue that the airport is a place where you do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy, and I would be inclined to agree with you. That isn't the problem. An airport is private property, each airport is owned by a different person, group, local government etc. The federal government has stepped in and said, "we are creating a federal agency, and mandating that it be used in every airport to search you before you can freely travel". That is where the problem is. You are being searched by a government agency, just for travelling.

Imagine if this form of government overreach of authority was applied to other areas of life. Maybe they could create the SESA (Sporting Event Security Agency), that way, every time you go to a Red Sox, Seahawks, Spurs or Flyers game, you are thoroughly searched by SESA to make sure you aren't a threat to security. Would that be an acceptable use of government authority in a Constitutional Republic like the United States? I think not. Agencies like the TSA need to be abolished.
[+] 1 user Likes mrlmichael's post
10-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Yep.

Yep again.

[Image: imnotfrightenedofterrorism_zps8e46c0cb.gif]