Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Is this person debunking this ?
http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=25568

Has that person debunked it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2015, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 11:09 AM by Talviomena.)
RE: Is this person debunking this ?
http://infidels.org/library/modern/keith...html#blind

Here's also some pondering about the blind nde's in a shorter context.
03-12-2015, 11:12 AM
So it can all be explained, no god(s) involved?
03-12-2015, 11:16 AM
(03-12-2015 11:12 AM)cmr211 Wrote:  So it can all be explained, no god(s) involved?

If you want to know more about NDE's in general, i recommend these

http://infidels.org/library/modern/keith...HNDEs.html

http://io9.com/5916403/how-to-have-a-nea...experience

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...xperiences

04-12-2015, 04:47 AM
The link I posted was a nde from a blind person, has that been debunked ?
04-12-2015, 08:12 AM
(04-12-2015 04:47 AM)cmr211 Wrote:  The link I posted was a nde from a blind person, has that been debunked ?

When you can show that people blind from birth can see light when certain areas of the brain are stimulated, I think you can consider this debunked.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
04-12-2015, 09:25 AM
(03-12-2015 11:12 AM)cmr211 Wrote:  So it can all be explained, no god(s) involved?

You'd have to prove a god existed in the first place to prove one was involved at all.

The problem with using these sorts of things as "evidence" for God is that they're presuppositional. They offer, at best, an unanswered question, and then insert God as a possible (but implied, "the only") answer. It's an argument from ignorance, referred to as a God of the Gaps argument when regarding God.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
04-12-2015, 12:45 PM
(04-12-2015 08:12 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(04-12-2015 04:47 AM)cmr211 Wrote:  The link I posted was a nde from a blind person, has that been debunked ?

When you can show that people blind from birth can see light when certain areas of the brain are stimulated, I think you can consider this debunked.

Really?
05-12-2015, 10:22 AM
(04-12-2015 12:45 PM)cmr211 Wrote:  
(04-12-2015 08:12 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  When you can show that people blind from birth can see light when certain areas of the brain are stimulated, I think you can consider this debunked.

Really?

Really.
05-12-2015, 10:41 AM
(04-12-2015 12:45 PM)cmr211 Wrote:  
(04-12-2015 08:12 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  When you can show that people blind from birth can see light when certain areas of the brain are stimulated, I think you can consider this debunked.

Really?

Yes really. Sight happens in the brain. Optic nerves or not, most everyone's brain is hard wired to convert electrical impulses into an image.

In my dreams I've been on the moon and stood upon a blue quark, both places I've never been. Our brains can create entire worlds, city scapes, etc all within our brains.

Most blind people are only blind because their optic nerves are either gone or not functioning. Some are blind due to brain damage or other medical issues that prevents sight in the brain.

Most blind people from birth report that their dreams are representative of their waking experience, but people who have seen for a small portion of their life and then become blind report being able to see in their dreams. This dream sight goes down over time because its less and less representative of their waking experience.

Someone in a NDE has all kinds of fluxuating brain activity that could spark any number of sensations, including sight.

I'm no rocket surgeon, but I think its more plausible that funky stuff is happening in our brains at the moment of brain shutdown than it is a soul / spirit / energy conscious being leaving the body, senses the environment outside the body and then returns to the body.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results