Is this plausible?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-10-2013, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2013 04:22 PM by The_Thinking_Theist.)
Is this plausible?
Hello.

Could the Aztecs have invaded Europe via Northmen colonizing Vinland? It's possible that they could have stolen designs for far-sailing Norse vessels and learned the constellations of the Northern Hemisphere the same way. Granted, the Vikings were quite a distance from Mēxihcah, but a slight change in direction could've put them in the vicinity of the all conquering Aztec horde. First the colonies, than the Canadian colonies, overtaking Iceland/Greenland... then to the mess that was post-Roman Europe.

What say you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2013, 01:54 PM
RE: Is this plausible?
If i understand your question and I don't, the answer is No

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
20-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Er... ? You been playing Civilization ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
20-10-2013, 02:00 PM
(20-10-2013 01:37 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hello.

Could the Aztecs have invaded Europe via Northmen colonizing Vinland? It's possible that they could have stolen designs for far-sailing Norse vessels and learned the constellations of the Northern Hemisphere the same way. Granted, the Vikings were quite a distance from Mēxihcah, but a slight change in direction could've put them in the vicinity of the all conquering Aztec horde. First the colonies, than the Canadian colonies, overtaking Iceland/Greenland... then to the mess that was post-Roman Europe.

What sat you?

Short answer, No not really.

Longer answer is No, the logistics of such an invasion were beyond the capabilities of either culture at that time. Remember despite the massive advantage in technology and weaponry it took the europeans centuries to fully conquer the various empires and peoples of the Americas. Then there is the simple fact that the Vikings were nowhere near the Aztecs and the Vineland settlement was not around very long.

As to the idea that simply taking a Viking longboat would be enough to make multiple transatlantic crossings with no resupply points is frankly laughable. The navigation expertise in such an endeavor takes a long time to accumulate (several generations) and is not something that could be just stolen with no previous experience.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
20-10-2013, 03:01 PM
I couldn't get past the oxymoron in your screen name...

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
20-10-2013, 03:21 PM
The human genome has been mapped.
Maybe you should look into the patterns DNA has shown about human migration patterns.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
20-10-2013, 03:29 PM
(20-10-2013 03:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The human genome has been mapped.
Maybe you should look into the patterns DNA has shown about human migration patterns.

I don't think he's saying they did that, more contemplating the plausibility. Maybe there's an "Alternative History" story in the works? You know, like those historical fiction books about what would have happened if the Germans won WW2.
[+] 1 user Likes ArchAtheistMichael's post
20-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Michael seemed to get it, it's all hypothetical (I think I'm using that word correctly)

Seeing as they would sail in direction of Europe, there is a chance that they would arrive in Iberia... that would be interesting, Nahuatl culture affecting Hispanic culture instead of vice-versa.
20-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Yes they could have, provided they have the weapons to do so.

next

Drinking Beverage
20-10-2013, 05:16 PM
I say no

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines. Breathe; Pink Floyd