• 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-10-2013, 05:23 PM
RE: Is this plausible?
Mind telling us why? Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Is this for your book you're having issues with?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
20-10-2013, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2013 06:40 PM by Bucky Ball.)
The Vestal Virgins could have invaded Gaul, and chopped off the weenie of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vercingetorix
Vercingetorix, and the Unicorn Legion could have invaded Alexandria.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
20-10-2013, 06:29 PM
(20-10-2013 05:23 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Mind telling us why? Smile

It's nothing personal, I just don't care for hypotheticals.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

20-10-2013, 06:36 PM
When Europeans actually did make contact with native americans the result was a microbial holocaust which reduced the population of the americas by 90-95%. The fact that no such earlier biological disaster occurred strongly suggests that the Vikings did not come into contact with native americans,

Your question about possibilities is intriguing. Anyone with a boat CAN sail anywhere they want. But when you start thinking about probabilities the odds of such contact/voyage are remote.

[Image: Atheismreality_zps62a2c96a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
20-10-2013, 06:43 PM
(20-10-2013 06:36 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  When Europeans actually did make contact with native americans the result was a microbial holocaust which reduced the population of the americas by 90-95%. The fact that no such earlier biological disaster occurred strongly suggests that the Vikings did not come into contact with native americans,

Your question about possibilities is intriguing. Anyone with a boat CAN sail anywhere they want. But when you start thinking about probabilities the odds of such contact/voyage are remote.

If vice-versa, maybe if the Aztecs heard of Europe through Uto-Olmec hearsay (avoiding direct contact), they could have brought an Aztec disease with them to Europe. I loved your response man! (tend to get smart people around here)
20-10-2013, 06:49 PM
(20-10-2013 06:43 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 06:36 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  When Europeans actually did make contact with native americans the result was a microbial holocaust which reduced the population of the americas by 90-95%. The fact that no such earlier biological disaster occurred strongly suggests that the Vikings did not come into contact with native americans,

If vice-versa, maybe if the Aztecs heard of Europe through Uto-Olmec hearsay (avoiding direct contact), they could have brought an Aztec disease with them to Europe. I loved your response man! (tend to get smart people around here)

Europeans tended to have more unknown diseases to the Mesoamericans than vice versa probably due to the much larger stable of domesticated animals. It is an interesting hypothetical but I still don't think it is very plausible.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
20-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Yeah, a lot of things need to fall into place. Still, USA won the American Revolutionary War, so sometimes history is rather implausible. I'll probably write a short story about it.
20-10-2013, 08:16 PM
No one else going to point out that the Aztecs didn't exist until the 1300s? And that Vinland was in 1000?

Intercontinental power projection was not a thing back then. Absent 90% of the population dying off, you couldn't just move in and set up shop...

It's possible to construct a scenario in which some people from the Americas (but not Mexica, certainly not the Aztecs) ends up at an advantage over Europe (which with bloodier wars and worse plagues, compared to our real history, is also possible). But you'd have to push the POD waaay back to get that to fly, and it'd be a long string of lucky dice rolls even so.

... this is my signature!
20-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Still, Some Proto-Nahuatl peoples could conquer Europe. Better yet, the Inuits range from Siberia to Greenland. Some sort of ethnolinguistic union of them could divide and conquer Europe (or at least a lot of it).