Poll: Was the video racist or offensive?
Very much so!
Somewhat
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Is this racist? Inhumane? Disrespectful?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2016, 01:16 AM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2016 10:24 AM by Adrianime.)
Is this racist? Inhumane? Disrespectful?
From my facebook feed, I see a whole bunch of people freaking out about this video saying how horrible it is.

What do you think?

My thoughts (put in spoiler so you can vote with your raw opinion without reading others)
Personally I don't see it offensive at all.

It's making a point by equating a child to a dog, which is clearly spelled out at the end of the video. Basically saying, if we treated a homeless/starving child like we treat our dog, they would be getting BETTER treatment than they are getting now. That's the point, is kids don't deserve to be treated like dogs, they deserve more, yet so many kids have it worse than dogs.

I hope you vote and explain your take on the video.

Edit: Found 2 minute message from the foundation who put out this video.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2016, 01:34 AM
RE: Is this racist? Inhumane? Disrespectful?
Simple test...

Imagine a white child in the role.
Imagine a black woman...
Imagine an Asian child / Asian woman / both black / both white etc.

Does each combination stir the same / different emotions or have the same / different connotations.

There's your answer.

History is at play here.

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
23-01-2016, 01:39 AM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2016 01:43 AM by jennybee.)
I think it does catch people's attention immediately and if an organization is trying to get their point across quickly in a commercial, they want something that grabs attention while getting their message across. That said, I do think it comes across as slightly racist in the sense that the woman is a pale-skinned blonde woman and the child is African American and he is being portrayed as less than human (i.e. like an animal). It did come across as somewhat racist IMO.
23-01-2016, 01:40 AM
I would have commented on facebook, but the person who posted it said this:

Quote:Unfriend me right now if you don't think this video is fucked up! Don't even try to come on page giving explanation. I only want to hear from people who agree with me that the people who made this video ain't shit!

so it's like...alright.

[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
23-01-2016, 01:45 AM
The choice of black child and white woman could have been for shock value. I don't think it matters what color the adult or child is as the point they are trying to make would be the same either way. That being said, I think specifically avoiding using a black kid because people might perceive it as racist is not the right move.

[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
23-01-2016, 01:47 AM
It seems everything is offensive now judging by frequency with which people claiming they're offended by something so calling this film offensive would be meaningless.

I don't see this video as racist or offensive as it only show sad truth, or at least part of it. There are starving children and I don't speak about Africa. But actions like video suggest will change nothing in the long run as they aren't touching the root of the problem. Now parents have right to have children regardless of their material status and other factors, it's look like as if parents rights were more important than wellbeing of child. I say this need to change - it is not adults who have right to bring a new life into this world, rather the children have right to be well fed, educated and cared for. But it reminds some of eugenics, others feel that reproduction is more important that diminishing the suffering and other spout nonsense about discriminating the poor so nothing will change.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
23-01-2016, 01:49 AM
I think the racial casting diminishes the message they're trying to get across. It's almost as if they thought they could score extra PC cred by casting as they did, without understanding how it might diffuse their message.
23-01-2016, 02:01 AM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2016 02:06 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
My gripe is that they used Moonlight Sonata. So cliche. There's more to Beethoven than Moonlight Sonata, you know!

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
23-01-2016, 07:41 AM
Seeing as mostly third world countries are populated by black and Asian people. I think it is not racist to use a black child in the video.

Personally I think of myself as the black child, getting fed scraps by the ruling power structure for the part I play in society.

Trickle down economics is an illusion....

But anyway..... it has an emotional reaction so most of the time logic won't come into the equation with some people.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
23-01-2016, 08:15 AM
(23-01-2016 01:47 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Now parents have right to have children regardless of their material status and other factors, it's look like as if parents rights were more important than wellbeing of child. I say this need to change - it is not adults who have right to bring a new life into this world, rather the children have right to be well fed, educated and cared for.

Yes!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post