Poll: Was the video racist or offensive?
Very much so!
Somewhat
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Is this racist? Inhumane? Disrespectful?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2016, 08:18 AM
RE: Is this racist? Inhumane? Disrespectful?
(23-01-2016 02:01 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  My gripe is that they used Moonlight Sonata. So cliche. There's more to Beethoven than Moonlight Sonata, you know!

That was my same initial reaction. I didn't even finish watching it, already know it's Inhumane for that.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
23-01-2016, 08:54 AM
(23-01-2016 01:16 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  From my facebook feed, I see a whole bunch of people freaking out about this video saying how horrible it is.

What do you think?

My thoughts (put in spoiler so you can vote with your raw opinion without reading others)
Personally I don't see it offensive at all.

It's making a point by equating a child to a dog, which is clearly spelled out at the end of the video. Basically saying, if we treated a homeless/starving child like we treat our dog, they would be getting BETTER treatment than they are getting now. That's the point, is kids don't deserve to be treated like dogs, they deserve more, yet so many kids have it worse than dogs.

I hope you vote and explain your take on the video.

No, it's not racist. Those who think so don't understand the message nor the visual cues of the simile between the image of the needy black boy/white affluent woman vs powerless pet/powerful master. It emphasizes the vulnerability of the hungry child who, like a pet, their welfare and life is in the hands of the powerful and the affluent. It also shows the twisted state of our humane concerns when pets get better treatment than children of our own species.

Powerful message, too bad the FB crybabies are too stupid to get it.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
23-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Their choice may have been a simple matter of the demographics revealed by their data. Who is giving the money, and who is receiving the money? 10, 20, 30 years from now that data may reveal a different picture and the people portrayed in this video would reflect those changes.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
23-01-2016, 09:49 AM
No, it's not racist. It's an artistic representation of the disparity between the elite and the impoverished. Black vs white on soooo many levels, including the visual dynamics of the colors themselves. It wouldn't deliver the same visual nor emotional punch if it were filmed with two people of similar color. They even chose a filter to give it that extra bit of cold indifference.

Who dominates the upper class? Whites. Who is disproportionately represented below the poverty line? Blacks. That is not racist - the root causes are due to racism. Reality isn't pretty. History is damned ugly. This puts it right in your face. There are labradoodles (belonging mostly to white women) in south Nashville that eat better than the (predominantly black) very poor children of north Nashville - that's sickening.

They aren't calling the child a dog. They're not advocating for feeding the child like he's a puppy. It's meant to make you feel ashamed.

They're making the point that there are children who would be better fed, be in a better position, if they were fed table scraps like a pet dog - which is something to be infuriated about. Our children deserve better. That this would have to be explained to anyone kind of blows my mind, I thought it was blaringly obvious. Like this explanation is me holding the hand of Buckyball to teach him John 3:16. Did they not pay attention to the video?

If they're taking a jab at a race in their message, it's certainly not black people...

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
23-01-2016, 09:55 AM
(23-01-2016 08:54 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 01:16 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  From my facebook feed, I see a whole bunch of people freaking out about this video saying how horrible it is.

What do you think?

My thoughts (put in spoiler so you can vote with your raw opinion without reading others)
Personally I don't see it offensive at all.

It's making a point by equating a child to a dog, which is clearly spelled out at the end of the video. Basically saying, if we treated a homeless/starving child like we treat our dog, they would be getting BETTER treatment than they are getting now. That's the point, is kids don't deserve to be treated like dogs, they deserve more, yet so many kids have it worse than dogs.

I hope you vote and explain your take on the video.

No, it's not racist. Those who think so don't understand the message nor the visual cues of the simile between the image of the needy black boy/white affluent woman vs powerless pet/powerful master. It emphasizes the vulnerability of the hungry child who, like a pet, their welfare and life is in the hands of the powerful and the affluent. It also shows the twisted state of our humane concerns when pets get better treatment than children of our own species.

Powerful message, too bad the FB crybabies are too stupid to get it.

Ah - much better said than my spill I pecked out on my phone during my bath over the past hour. Last post I saw was by ClydeLee. Thumbsup

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
23-01-2016, 10:11 AM
Not racist, classist. They want donations - slightly more or better scraps - to correct an issue of wealth and power disparity. It won't work. The video upsets me because it acknowledges and reaffirms the validity of a rigged game. It says it's okay to take more than you work for as long as you cast enough pennies to beggars.

We need to correct economic allocation generally. Every person should get a baseline support, minimal but adequate to promote health and growth. Beyond that minimum, people should be paid for their effort toward socially valuable goals. That's almost everything. If people want toothpicks, then packaging and shipping splinters is socially valuable. Going to school is socially valuable and should be rewarded economically, not in a crapshoot of imagined future jobs but in real goods, services, or currency. So the fix for that kid is not for the woman to give scraps from her checkbook instead of her plate, it's to get him in a learning environment where he can earn a living.
23-01-2016, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2016 10:42 AM by Adrianime.)
(23-01-2016 08:58 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Their choice may have been a simple matter of the demographics revealed by their data. Who is giving the money, and who is receiving the money? 10, 20, 30 years from now that data may reveal a different picture and the people portrayed in this video would reflect those changes.

(23-01-2016 09:49 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Who dominates the upper class? Whites. Who is disproportionately represented below the poverty line? Blacks. That is not racist - the root causes are due to racism. Reality isn't pretty. History is damned ugly. This puts it right in your face. There are labradoodles (belonging mostly to white women) in south Nashville that eat better than the (predominantly black) very poor children of north Nashville - that's sickening.

Good points. Clap

Edit: Now I realize this video is about South Africa, so the context is completely different from what we originally thought. Still the points you guys made probably hold true.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
23-01-2016, 10:25 AM
I added to the OP a video from the organization that made this video. It is two minutes long and just a woman describing what they are trying to accomplish.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
23-01-2016, 10:32 AM
I totally get what they are trying to accomplish. I think the video is provocative. I think they did it that way on purpose. Look how many people are talking about it now. Even charities/nonprofits need to use marketing skills to get their cause/ideas/message out to the masses. While I understand their message, I can see how *some* may find it offensive.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
23-01-2016, 10:42 AM
(23-01-2016 10:32 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I totally get what they are trying to accomplish. I think the video is provocative. I think they did it that way on purpose. Look how many people are talking about it now. Even charities/nonprofits need to use marketing skills to get their cause/ideas/message out to the masses.

I doubt that they accomplish whatever they wanted, slight increase in donations is what happen I would say. People do not truly care about others and one movie won't change this.

(23-01-2016 10:32 AM)jennybee Wrote:  While I understand their message, I can see how *some* may find it offensive.

Almost everything can be deemed offensive by some people. But so what? Being offended by something do not grant special rights.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.