Poll: Was the video racist or offensive?
Very much so!
Somewhat
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Is this racist? Inhumane? Disrespectful?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2016, 10:44 AM
RE: Is this racist? Inhumane? Disrespectful?
(23-01-2016 10:32 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I totally get what they are trying to accomplish. I think the video is provocative. I think they did it that way on purpose. Look how many people are talking about it now. Even charities/nonprofits need to use marketing skills to get their cause/ideas/message out to the masses. While I understand their message, I can see how *some* may find it offensive.

Oh it is offensive, alright. The offense is that it's true. It's just not racist.

It's pure unadulterated elitist and what this county was built on and is still today. That is why it's offensive. We know elitism is a sick society and yet we're still elitists.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
23-01-2016, 10:51 AM
(23-01-2016 08:54 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 01:16 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  From my facebook feed, I see a whole bunch of people freaking out about this video saying how horrible it is.

What do you think?

My thoughts (put in spoiler so you can vote with your raw opinion without reading others)
Personally I don't see it offensive at all.

It's making a point by equating a child to a dog, which is clearly spelled out at the end of the video. Basically saying, if we treated a homeless/starving child like we treat our dog, they would be getting BETTER treatment than they are getting now. That's the point, is kids don't deserve to be treated like dogs, they deserve more, yet so many kids have it worse than dogs.

I hope you vote and explain your take on the video.

No, it's not racist. Those who think so don't understand the message nor the visual cues of the simile between the image of the needy black boy/white affluent woman vs powerless pet/powerful master. It emphasizes the vulnerability of the hungry child who, like a pet, their welfare and life is in the hands of the powerful and the affluent. It also shows the twisted state of our humane concerns when pets get better treatment than children of our own species.

Powerful message, too bad the FB crybabies are too stupid to get it.

100% agree! I coulldn't have said it better, myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
23-01-2016, 11:13 AM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2016 12:12 PM by jennybee.)
(23-01-2016 10:44 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 10:32 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I totally get what they are trying to accomplish. I think the video is provocative. I think they did it that way on purpose. Look how many people are talking about it now. Even charities/nonprofits need to use marketing skills to get their cause/ideas/message out to the masses. While I understand their message, I can see how *some* may find it offensive.

Oh it is offensive, alright. The offense is that it's true. It's just not racist.

It's pure unadulterated elitist and what this county was built on and is still today. That is why it's offensive. We know elitism is a sick society and yet we're still elitists.

I totally agree, I was just saying that I can understand how *some* may look at it (rightfully/wrongfully) and find it racist/offensive. That was my only point. They wanted a provocative ad and they got it. Anyway, that's why I chose "somewhat" for my answer because depending on the viewer, one person could see it as racist/offensive, whereas another person may not. I can see, given the imagery, how both sides may feel as they do.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
23-01-2016, 11:57 AM
(23-01-2016 10:42 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 10:32 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I totally get what they are trying to accomplish. I think the video is provocative. I think they did it that way on purpose. Look how many people are talking about it now. Even charities/nonprofits need to use marketing skills to get their cause/ideas/message out to the masses.

I doubt that they accomplish whatever they wanted, slight increase in donations is what happen I would say. People do not truly care about others and one movie won't change this.

(23-01-2016 10:32 AM)jennybee Wrote:  While I understand their message, I can see how *some* may find it offensive.

Almost everything can be deemed offensive by some people. But so what? Being offended by something do not grant special rights.

I agree. But at the same time, if you are trying to market your business/nonprofit/charity etc. you do need to be cognizant of the images you put out to the public or you could actually lose public support. I think they were cognizant of the image they were putting out--aware that *some* may find it offensive/racist. Being provocative is a marketing technique. But it's a fine line because sometimes it can go against your desired effect, which is why you do need to be cognizant of the types of imagery you put out there. In this case, however, I think their marketing technique worked. I do think they will get some more donations because of it.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
23-01-2016, 01:29 PM
(23-01-2016 11:57 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 10:42 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I doubt that they accomplish whatever they wanted, slight increase in donations is what happen I would say. People do not truly care about others and one movie won't change this.

Almost everything can be deemed offensive by some people. But so what? Being offended by something do not grant special rights.

I agree. But at the same time, if you are trying to market your business/nonprofit/charity etc. you do need to be cognizant of the images you put out to the public or you could actually lose public support. I think they were cognizant of the image they were putting out--aware that *some* may find it offensive/racist. Being provocative is a marketing technique. But it's a fine line because sometimes it can go against your desired effect, which is why you do need to be cognizant of the types of imagery you put out there. In this case, however, I think their marketing technique worked. I do think they will get some more donations because of it.

They may get some more donations. Or they may not as people with no real problems will start screaming about racism or offensivenes of video. But in truth it matters little as solution lies elsewhere. One could try to change man but as history showed people don't care; appealing to emotions may have some results but such appeals lose their value fast. As long as right to have children will be more important than potential children well-being such suffering will sadly only to be expected.

There is nothing noble, just or right in bringing a new life into a world which promise only suffering yet it is and probably will be our reality for years to come.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-01-2016, 01:43 PM
Overblown 'controversy' (by the folks alleged to take offense by it). Just another shocking (socially?) 'ad'/donation campaign that got its attention that was sought. I wholeheartedly concur with what DLJ posted.
[+] 1 user Likes UndauntedToast's post
23-01-2016, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2016 03:34 PM by jennybee.)
(23-01-2016 01:29 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 11:57 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I agree. But at the same time, if you are trying to market your business/nonprofit/charity etc. you do need to be cognizant of the images you put out to the public or you could actually lose public support. I think they were cognizant of the image they were putting out--aware that *some* may find it offensive/racist. Being provocative is a marketing technique. But it's a fine line because sometimes it can go against your desired effect, which is why you do need to be cognizant of the types of imagery you put out there. In this case, however, I think their marketing technique worked. I do think they will get some more donations because of it.

They may get some more donations. Or they may not as people with no real problems will start screaming about racism or offensivenes of video. But in truth it matters little as solution lies elsewhere. One could try to change man but as history showed people don't care; appealing to emotions may have some results but such appeals lose their value fast. As long as right to have children will be more important than potential children well-being such suffering will sadly only to be expected.

There is nothing noble, just or right in bringing a new life into a world which promise only suffering yet it is and probably will be our reality for years to come.

I worked for a nonprofit and worked alongside the marketing department. Repeated tugging at heartstrings does bring in donations. It's the same as with any business. Put your name out there, put your product/service/cause out there repeatedly, do it in an effective way, and you will get patrons. We never went the provocative route--but going the provocative route if done correctly--can leave a lasting impression and name recognition, which in turn can bring in repeated donations.

Sadly, you are right, there will never be a time when there won't be suffering in the world for one reason or another. I think the only solution is for us all to try and help out when we can, making at least some small dent of kindness in an otherwise sometimes shitty world.

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
23-01-2016, 04:34 PM
(23-01-2016 03:29 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I worked for a nonprofit and worked alongside the marketing department. Repeated tugging at heartstrings does bring in donations. It's the same as with any business. Put your name out there, put your product/service/cause out there repeatedly, do it in an effective way, and you will get patrons. We never went the provocative route--but going the provocative route if done correctly--can leave a lasting impression and name recognition, which in turn can bring in repeated donations.

I have nothing to add here.

(23-01-2016 03:29 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Sadly, you are right, there will never be a time when there won't be suffering in the world for one reason or another. I think the only solution is for us all to try and help out when we can, making at least some small dent of kindness in an otherwise sometimes shitty world.

It would not be a dent as whoever saves one life, saves the world but I would preffer other approach. Acts of kindness from one person means shit when entire system is broken, so it is repairing the system that should be priority.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
23-01-2016, 04:49 PM
(23-01-2016 04:34 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 03:29 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I worked for a nonprofit and worked alongside the marketing department. Repeated tugging at heartstrings does bring in donations. It's the same as with any business. Put your name out there, put your product/service/cause out there repeatedly, do it in an effective way, and you will get patrons. We never went the provocative route--but going the provocative route if done correctly--can leave a lasting impression and name recognition, which in turn can bring in repeated donations.

I have nothing to add here.

(23-01-2016 03:29 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Sadly, you are right, there will never be a time when there won't be suffering in the world for one reason or another. I think the only solution is for us all to try and help out when we can, making at least some small dent of kindness in an otherwise sometimes shitty world.

It would not be a dent as whoever saves one life, saves the world but I would preffer other approach. Acts of kindness from one person means shit when entire system is broken, so it is repairing the system that should be priority.

Totally agree we need to repair the system.

23-01-2016, 05:17 PM
16 million children in motherfucking America are not getting enough to eat. That is inexcusable and should be an embarrassment to all of us. I don't care whether the ads for money are racist or anything else. I don't care that they used Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata as background music. That shouldn't even be a point of fucking discussion. We should be doing whatever it takes to collect money to feed these kids.
[+] 3 users Like Black Eagle's post