Poll: Was the video racist or offensive?
Very much so!
Somewhat
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Is this racist? Inhumane? Disrespectful?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2016, 08:36 PM
RE: Is this racist? Inhumane? Disrespectful?
(23-01-2016 05:17 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  16 million children in motherfucking America are not getting enough to eat. That is inexcusable and should be an embarrassment to all of us. I don't care whether the ads for money are racist or anything else. I don't care that they used Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata as background music. That shouldn't even be a point of fucking discussion. We should be doing whatever it takes to collect money to feed these kids.

Hey, I was only half serious!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2016, 08:56 PM
(23-01-2016 01:16 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  From my facebook feed, I see a whole bunch of people freaking out about this video saying how horrible it is.

What do you think?

My thoughts (put in spoiler so you can vote with your raw opinion without reading others)
Personally I don't see it offensive at all.

It's making a point by equating a child to a dog, which is clearly spelled out at the end of the video. Basically saying, if we treated a homeless/starving child like we treat our dog, they would be getting BETTER treatment than they are getting now. That's the point, is kids don't deserve to be treated like dogs, they deserve more, yet so many kids have it worse than dogs.

I hope you vote and explain your take on the video.

Edit: Found 2 minute message from the foundation who put out this video.

That isn't racist, the same way the migrants also attack black citizens.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
24-01-2016, 06:15 PM
While I understand the point of the ad, the problem I see is that our society has so long treated blacks and other minorities as something less than human that it also perpetuates that image that civil rights activists have fought hard against.

This is a picture from 1958 of an African child on exhibit in a Brussels zoo. Is this ad really that different from the image portrayed here? (https://www.popularresistance.org/deep-r...man-zoos/)

[Image: African-girl-in-human-zoo-e1392748580716.jpg]

Invisible, undetectable results don’t count
[+] 1 user Likes quoin's post
24-01-2016, 08:21 PM
(24-01-2016 06:15 PM)quoin Wrote:  While I understand the point of the ad, the problem I see is that our society has so long treated blacks and other minorities as something less than human that it also perpetuates that image that civil rights activists have fought hard against.

This is a picture from 1958 of an African child on exhibit in a Brussels zoo. Is this ad really that different from the image portrayed here? (https://www.popularresistance.org/deep-r...man-zoos/)

[Image: African-girl-in-human-zoo-e1392748580716.jpg]

I guess I am a product of my generation, and missed that whole thing. The irony of this picture is that the kid was probably well-fed, like any other zoo "animal". People have been putting all kinds of oddments in zoos and circuses for public "entertainment"- hirsutism, gigantism, dwarfism, whatever. I consider it pretty shameful for a human being to be presented/viewed this way. Anything for a buck, I guess. So, yes, I believe that there is a vast difference between the two images.
24-01-2016, 11:05 PM
A, you did not include a "Is this funny?" question. Therefore I cannot vote. Big Grin

Bring in the newspaper and get a treat is usually reserved for dogs and highly skilled dolphins, right?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
25-01-2016, 12:36 AM
(24-01-2016 11:05 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Bring in the newspaper and get a treat is usually reserved for dogs and highly skilled dolphins, right?
Yep. Did you watch the whole video?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
25-01-2016, 02:38 AM
(25-01-2016 12:36 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(24-01-2016 11:05 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Bring in the newspaper and get a treat is usually reserved for dogs and highly skilled dolphins, right?
Yep. Did you watch the whole video?

Yeah man.

I don't watch the Christian crap that gets posted. Something like that I'll watch.

The whole thing was kind of pathetic in a way that amused me. It was just so poorly done.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.