Is this rude to post this on Facebook?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Is this rude to post this on Facebook?
About 65% of my Facebook friends are Christian, and about 30% of my friends post about it online. My mother is a Christian but I don't think she reads the bible often. I want to ask her and my Facebook friends an honest question. I'm going to quote Luke 14:26 on mother's day and ask "Why does the God of Love want me to hate my family." I don't hate my family, but I want people to read this quote and think about their faith. And if it is rude to post this, then how can I get some of my Facebook to stop posting bible quotes and rapture pictures on my page? It annoys me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2016, 10:22 AM
RE: Is this rude to post this on Facebook?
(06-05-2016 10:06 AM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  About 65% of my Facebook friends are Christian, and about 30% of my friends post about it online. My mother is a Christian but I don't think she reads the bible often. I want to ask her and my Facebook friends an honest question. I'm going to quote Luke 14:26 on mother's day and ask "Why does the God of Love want me to hate my family." I don't hate my family, but I want people to read this quote and think about their faith. And if it is rude to post this, then how can I get some of my Facebook to stop posting bible quotes and rapture pictures on my page? It annoys me.

To stop seeing those posts unfollow the poster. They will still be your friend and you can go to their page but their posts won't show on your wall.

I think it would likely upset your mom badly if you posted Luke on mothersday...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
06-05-2016, 10:38 AM
There are better ways to get them to stop leaving Christian stuff on your wall ... ways that don't involve hurting someone you love.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
06-05-2016, 10:44 AM
(06-05-2016 10:06 AM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  About 65% of my Facebook friends are Christian, and about 30% of my friends post about it online. My mother is a Christian but I don't think she reads the bible often. I want to ask her and my Facebook friends an honest question. I'm going to quote Luke 14:26 on mother's day and ask "Why does the God of Love want me to hate my family." I don't hate my family, but I want people to read this quote and think about their faith. And if it is rude to post this, then how can I get some of my Facebook to stop posting bible quotes and rapture pictures on my page? It annoys me.

If you have sincere questions about your religious upbringing, your family and friends should be able and willing to answer your questions to the best of their ability. But be careful not to be jeering, like you're just asking to provoke a fight.

I can’t believe I’m going to do this, but I’m actually going to defend something in the New Testament. I just reviewed Luke 14:26, and it doesn’t look to me that Jesus is telling his disciples to actually hate their families. I think he’s using hyperbolic speech to describe how their love of their mission should supersede everything else.

I don’t agree with that position by any stretch of the imagination, but I think pulling things out of context is not helpful to understanding where your family and friends are coming from. It doesn’t look to me that this passage is praising hatred.

You are not discovering these words for the first time. You did mention in another post that you’re 13 years old, and I’m not trying to diminish the mental capacity of a young teenager, but do try to keep in mind that people who are much more educated than you are on this subject have been studying this text and with good reason, they understand that hating their families is not the main idea here.

Ask your questions of them, but don't try to start arguments. If you put them on the defensive, their walls will come up. And hey, while you're asking questions, ask them about this one:

Luke 14:28 “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? 29 For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, 30 saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’

Why didn't Jesus complete the messianic mission? ... Oh, he's going to come back 2,000+ years later... Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.
06-05-2016, 11:12 AM
It isn't any more likely to have the effect you wanted than if they had posted the same thing about atheists in an attempt to get through to you.

If you want to learn to influence the thoughts and behaviors of people, the first and most important thing you need to understand is that they are emotionally driven, not intellectually driven. That goes for atheists and theists.

I'd highly suggest reading Carnegie's well known book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" for some practical advice on the subject, and then perhaps a book like "Thinking: Fast and Slow" if you want to begin to have an understanding of exactly why the more instinctive and emotional part of our brain is so much more dominant than the intellectual part we prefer to think of as guiding most of our actions despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

To illustrate what I'm talking about, consider this. The second you tell someone you believe they are wrong when discussing a view that they consider to be important (i.e. the beliefs on which their entire worldview is based, abortion, gun control, etc.), their amygdala exerts veto power over the neocortex in anticipation of a conflict. From that point on their only objective is survival. Winning the fight. No matter how carefully you choose your words, you will not convince them of anything because the portion of the brain capable of processing that information is basically dormant as it waits for the more instinctive and emotionally reactive amygdala to handle the threat.

If you want to converse rationally with someone, it is imperative that you direct the conversation in such a manner that their neocortex stays active.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
06-05-2016, 11:37 AM

You can prevent people from posting on your wall (pretty sure), just like you can prevent being tagged.

Also you can just remove posts, using 'hide' or 'delete'.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

06-05-2016, 12:01 PM
You can. I have mine set to require my approval for both posts to my wall and tags to my posts, because I'm OCD about the way I organize my photos and people who tag themselves in photos as a way to share it even if they aren't actually in those photos are fucking annoying Tongue

'Murican Canadian