Is this shit even real?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2016, 01:16 PM
RE: Is this shit even real?
(11-01-2016 12:55 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I just had a thought... there are lots of toxic to humans plants/veggies, are there any meats we can't eat that are poisonous to humans?

For regular food animals, the levels of harmful compounds mostly depend on their own diet (e.g. mercury, lead, etc) - and even some animals that are naturally very toxic like dart frogs can be fed diets such that they no longer contain the harmful alkaloids in question.

There are certainly some animals with poisonous areas or organs. Fugu, archetypally, for example, or rattlesnakes. And also things like bear liver, which will give you vitamin A poisoning.

I don't think there are any animals where plain tissue is imbued with any toxins, though. It tends to be concentrated in specific places and mechanisms.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
11-01-2016, 01:42 PM
(11-01-2016 12:35 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 12:25 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Isn't modern advancement amazing?

That's not even a modern thing at that. People all over the planet managed to find reasonable diets thousands of years ago, before 'globalisation' was so much as a glimmer in a travelling merchant's eye. If you look from Nearctic to Andean to European to east Asian to Subsaharan to Melanesian diets in the year, let's say, 500 BCE, there's basically no overlap in content between any of them.
(our luxury now is picking and choosing between all of the above, essentially)

If that's not proof of an omnivorous nature I don't know what would be.

Reminds me of the BS claims that some vegans make about how veganism can save the world or some shit.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
11-01-2016, 01:45 PM
(11-01-2016 01:42 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 12:35 PM)cjlr Wrote:  That's not even a modern thing at that. People all over the planet managed to find reasonable diets thousands of years ago, before 'globalisation' was so much as a glimmer in a travelling merchant's eye. If you look from Nearctic to Andean to European to east Asian to Subsaharan to Melanesian diets in the year, let's say, 500 BCE, there's basically no overlap in content between any of them.
(our luxury now is picking and choosing between all of the above, essentially)

If that's not proof of an omnivorous nature I don't know what would be.

Reminds me of the BS claims that some vegans make about how veganism can save the world or some shit.

Well, eating lower trophic levels is unambiguously more efficient. So there is that. That's always going to be a good argument, in a world with starving people...

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
11-01-2016, 01:49 PM
(11-01-2016 01:45 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 01:42 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Reminds me of the BS claims that some vegans make about how veganism can save the world or some shit.

Well, eating lower trophic levels is unambiguously more efficient. So there is that. That's always going to be a good argument, in a world with starving people...

Well yeah, notice how even predators go for animals lower on that scale.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
11-01-2016, 01:51 PM
If we wanted to save the world the best thing would be for us all to stop eating or drinking anything. In about a week the world would be cured Smile

That is, of course, assuming the world isn't actually an indifferent, inanimate object that doesn't give a shit what form it's in.

'Murican Canadian
11-01-2016, 01:52 PM
(11-01-2016 01:49 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 01:45 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Well, eating lower trophic levels is unambiguously more efficient. So there is that. That's always going to be a good argument, in a world with starving people...

Well yeah, notice how even predators go for animals lower on that scale.

Right. So if that were the whole claim, they'd be right. It's reason enough for me to eat meat only very rarely.

The crazier ones never stop there, mind you...

11-01-2016, 02:05 PM
Even dietary practices we consider to be healthy in a modern context of abundance would be a death sentence under different circumstances, such as trimming away fat, avoiding organ meat, and sticking with the lean cuts.

There is actually a term known as rabbit starvation. This is when your only source of food is too high in protein and not high enough in fat/carbohydrates (i.e. rabbits Tongue). No matter how much you eat, you will eventually starve to death because you expend more energy digesting it than you actually get from it. If you ever find yourself in such a situation, do like starving polar bears instinctively do. Eat the fat and the innards, and discard the rest no matter how hungry you are.

'Murican Canadian
11-01-2016, 02:28 PM
(11-01-2016 02:05 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Even dietary practices we consider to be healthy in a modern context of abundance would be a death sentence under different circumstances, such as trimming away fat, avoiding organ meat, and sticking with the lean cuts.

There is actually a term known as rabbit starvation. This is when your only source of food is too high in protein and not high enough in fat/carbohydrates (i.e. rabbits Tongue). No matter how much you eat, you will eventually starve to death because you expend more energy digesting it than you actually get from it. If you ever find yourself in such a situation, do like starving polar bears instinctively do. Eat the fat and the innards, and discard the rest no matter how hungry you are.

It is funny on what we consider non healthy as well.