Is this the strangest verse in the Bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2012, 12:38 PM
RE: Is this the strangest verse in the Bible?
(08-01-2012 10:51 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(08-01-2012 02:37 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Ya know for me arguing over the bible is like arguing about Star Trek characters and how they might have fit into the Star wars genre. - ya know, cause it's all fiction Smile

It's nothing like that at all.

Arguing over Star Trek and Star Wars is fun.

Agree. Can you believe they actually used to argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin ? Didn't mean to be a prick about the "myth" thing. If you listen to Lucas talk about how he thought about and wrote Star Wars, he was thinking in terms of "mythology". We don't for a second fight about it being "literally true". The same is true for the ancient myths. The word "fiction" didn't enter the lexicon until ("fact") the scientific worldview came into prominence. Why we assume the ancients had our worldview is beyond me. Was just trying to point out that "they" can be refuted in their own terms. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
09-01-2012, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 06:41 PM by Organon.)
(07-01-2012 04:36 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No apolpgetics. God created evil. God created humans to sin. Since He is omniscient, He is quite aware of the fallen nature of man and our inability to not sin. He created us that way.

It was according to His plan, so that Christ would have purpose. If you have read the Bible, it's blatantly obvious that humans have no control over what God does.

If you believe all of that then you need a good talking to! Big Grin
(07-01-2012 02:15 PM)cufflink Wrote:  To an objective reader, though, it's just another example--albeit a particularly striking one--of YHWH being a dick.

It's not so much YHWH being a dick as the dicks who invented he/she/it and the dicks who kept on writing about he/she/it and the dicks who keep on believing in the dick and the dicks who keep on promoting the dick.

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
[+] 2 users Like Organon's post
09-01-2012, 08:58 PM
(08-01-2012 12:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-01-2012 10:51 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(08-01-2012 02:37 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Ya know for me arguing over the bible is like arguing about Star Trek characters and how they might have fit into the Star wars genre. - ya know, cause it's all fiction Smile

It's nothing like that at all.

Arguing over Star Trek and Star Wars is fun.

Agree. Can you believe they actually used to argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin ? Didn't mean to be a prick about the "myth" thing. If you listen to Lucas talk about how he thought about and wrote Star Wars, he was thinking in terms of "mythology". We don't for a second fight about it being "literally true". The same is true for the ancient myths. The word "fiction" didn't enter the lexicon until ("fact") the scientific worldview came into prominence. Why we assume the ancients had our worldview is beyond me. Was just trying to point out that "they" can be refuted in their own terms. Tongue

Joseph Campbell spends quite a bit of time talking about just this sort of thing in his Power of Myth series...even filmed a bit of his interviews with Bill Moyers at Skywalker Ranch...but then I'm assuming you know this already since you understand the difference between Myth and Pretend.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
10-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Just gonna leave this here.

Quote:The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post