Is this their proof that there is an god??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Is this their proof that there is an god??
On Facebook:
Quote:A man went to a barbershop to have His hair cut and his beard trimmed.
As the barber began to work, they began to have a good conversation. They
talked about so many things and various subjects. When they eventually
touched on the subject of God, the barber said 'I don't believe that God
exists" 'Why do you say that?' asked the customer. 'Well, you just have to go
out in the street to realize that God doesn't exist. Tell me, if God exists, would
there be so many sick people? Would there be abandoned children? If God
existed, there would be neither Suffering nor pain. I can't imagine a loving
God who would allow all of these things. The customer thought for a
moment, but didn't respond because he didn't want to start an argument. The
barber finished his job and the customer left the shop. Just after he left the
barbershop, he saw a man in the street with long, stringy, dirty hair and an
untrimmed beard. He looked dirty and unkempt. The customer turned back
and entered the barber shop again and he said to the barber "'You know
what? Barbers do not exist". 'How can you say that?' asked the surprised
barber. 'I am here, and I am a barber and I just worked on you!' "No!' the
customer exclaimed. 'Barbers don't exist because if they did, there would be
no people with dirty long hair and untrimmed beards, like that man
outside. 'Ah, but barbers DO exist! That 's what happens when people do not
come to me. 'Exactly!' affirmed the customer. 'That's the point! God, too,
DOES exist! That's what happens when people do not go to Him and don't
look to Him for help. That's why there's so much pain and suffering in the
world.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2011, 04:44 PM
RE: Is this their proof that there is an god??
Silly, silly theist. The argument from evil is one of the lesser atheistic arguments, but their rebuttal is even worse. So nothing bad ever happens to Christians? Their lives are perfect and dandy in every way?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ashley.hunt60's post
07-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Yes. Yes perfect lives.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
07-07-2011, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2011 05:36 PM by MasterRottweiler.)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that argument admits that god is a product of the necesity of believing in something?

What I mean is this:

Barbers exist because people need them, they are product of human necesity which is cutting our hair and trimming our beards (in the case of men).

Then, their god "exists" because it is the product of their necesity of believing in something.

The barber profesion is created because people need it, god is created because people need to believe. I dont know if my argument is correct, but I think thats one of many logical counter-arguments IMO.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
[+] 3 users Like MasterRottweiler's post
07-07-2011, 05:50 PM
(07-07-2011 05:28 PM)MasterRottweiler Wrote:  Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that argument admits that god is a product of the necesity of believing in something?

What I mean is this:
Barbers exist because people need them, they are product of human necesity which is cutting our hair and trimming our beards (in the case of men).

Then, their god "exists" because it is the product of their necesity of believing in something.

The barber profesion is created because people need it, god is created because people need to believe. I dont know if my argument is correct, but I think thats one of many logical counter-arguments IMO.

Nice catch!!

Also note that "man" can cut his own hair.....

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
07-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Fine. Barbers exist. But I choose to have long hair, so please stop coming to my house offering to cut my hair. Please stop teaching my kids that long hair is inherently evil and that short hair is a morally superior position. Don't demand that evolution be taught alongside the theory of Barber Design, where the Great Barber trimmed the world to his liking.

I don't think I'm making sense with this, but you've all pretty much covered what's actually wrong with this argument.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
07-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Using that logic, all those Africans who turn to a god should never starve, never get sick, and have an average lifespan of over 40 years.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
[+] 1 user Likes Efrx86's post
07-07-2011, 06:56 PM
What we have is a false equivalence. A man in the street with long hair is proof that all-knowing, all-powerful, ever-present barbers don't exist.

Besides, I don't know how you can "come to" an invisible immaterial being. I spent years praying, fasting and pleading and never was answered in any way by a supernatural being. In this context "come to" is nonsense.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
07-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Just want to say something here; the analogy being made wasn't to prove god, but as a rebuttal to the atheist barber. A very crappy rebuttal that acts like it carries the implication that god is real, but that is more of a shifting the burden of proof.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
07-07-2011, 11:36 PM
That is one bad analogy. Since when were barbers omniscient, omnibenevolent and omnipotent? The Three Omni's paradox does not apply. So barbers exist in an imperfect world, we know that. They don't have the power to stop it - but their god does. That's where it fails, that's where the argument applies.
If we ever define barbers as ridiculously as we do god, feel free to call us on it.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire