Is this their proof that there is an god??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2011, 11:51 AM
RE: Is this their proof that there is an god??
The rebuttal is bad but the barber's first set of proofs is worse. Pain, sickness, hunger, and disasters have all been assigned some "theological reasoning." That is, trying to use those examples to disprove a god or gods is inherently weak. A better proof would simply be any scientific discovery. Ergo the barber should have said: "I do not believe God exists because we can explain the universe in completely natural terms without invoking the supernatural at all. The Theory of Gravity, the Theory of Evolution, the Big Bang Theory, the Theory of the structure of the Atom, Quantum Mechanics, etc...etc." The only rebuttal that could follow that would be the classics such as "The lord works in mysterious ways" or "God's ways are not our ways" or "If God wanted us to know that he would have told us." etc...etc.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2011, 05:26 PM
(07-07-2011 04:38 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  A man went to a barbershop

I had been exposed to this silly story too much. It is also favorite of muslim people where I live.
If anyone can describe the exact location of this shop I will gladly stop by it sometime Smile
12-07-2011, 07:14 AM
(11-07-2011 05:26 PM)MaviPanter Wrote:  
(07-07-2011 04:38 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  A man went to a barbershop

I had been exposed to this silly story too much. It is also favorite of muslim people where I live.
If anyone can describe the exact location of this shop I will gladly stop by it sometime Smile

Exactly. I find it humorous how often they are willing to just make up silly stories in order to "prove" their points. I love the one about the atheist teacher and the piece of chalk - presented as if they are fact when no details whatsoever are given.

Oh wait. They must learn that from the Bible.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
12-07-2011, 07:46 AM
(12-07-2011 07:14 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Exactly. I find it humorous how often they are willing to just make up silly stories in order to "prove" their points. I love the one about the atheist teacher and the piece of chalk - presented as if they are fact when no details whatsoever are given.

Man, that chalk one is ridiculous. I'm honestly surprised that people reassured by this stuff and not embarrassed.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
12-07-2011, 08:25 AM
(12-07-2011 07:46 AM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  
(12-07-2011 07:14 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Exactly. I find it humorous how often they are willing to just make up silly stories in order to "prove" their points. I love the one about the atheist teacher and the piece of chalk - presented as if they are fact when no details whatsoever are given.

Man, that chalk one is ridiculous. I'm honestly surprised that people reassured by this stuff and not embarrassed.

I saw it the first time in a youtube vid, complete with music and everything - it goes by a sentence at a time. Posted to facebook by my aunt. I almost tore my hair out.

Of course, this is the same "Christian" aunt who recently left her husband of 20 something years after having a 9 month affair with an old boyfriend - and she's doing her best to financially rape the man who's supported her upper middle-class lifestyle for so long... sorry /tangent.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
12-07-2011, 08:27 AM

(08-07-2011 11:51 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The rebuttal is bad but the barber's first set of proofs is worse. Pain, sickness, hunger, and disasters have all been assigned some "theological reasoning."

I'm pretty sure every logical inconsistency of religion, every contradiction of the concept of an omni-everything god, every fault in the bible, etc. are assigned some "theological reasoning." You seems to be assuming these are good explanations, which I doubt they are. If we were to take the validity of these theological explanations on faith without hearing them, we'd all be theists. I see no reason to consider the barber's reasons bad unless someone can provide the "theological reasoning," and said reasoning is actually valid.
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2011, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2011 09:49 AM by TheBeardedDude.)
(12-07-2011 08:27 AM)Zach Wrote:  
(08-07-2011 11:51 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The rebuttal is bad but the barber's first set of proofs is worse. Pain, sickness, hunger, and disasters have all been assigned some "theological reasoning."

I'm pretty sure every logical inconsistency of religion, every contradiction of the concept of an omni-everything god, every fault in the bible, etc. are assigned some "theological reasoning." You seems to be assuming these are good explanations, which I doubt they are. If we were to take the validity of these theological explanations on faith without hearing them, we'd all be theists. I see no reason to consider the barber's reasons bad unless someone can provide the "theological reasoning," and said reasoning is actually valid.

I am not saying that their reasoning is sound or good. What I am saying is that the religious mind has already constructed ways around these arguments so trying to negate them is pointless. If they could be reasoned with they would not believe them. The only way for the barber to prove a point is to present an argument for which no religious answer can satisfy.
And the chalk story is hilarious! Maybe we should rewrite it as a Christian teacher at Notre Dame and an atheist boy. Actually that IS a true story too! Wink

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
12-07-2011, 01:11 PM
If anything, pain, sickness, hunger and disasters only prove that if there is a god, he just doesn't give a shit. It's not an argument against the existence of a god.

And as TBD says, the religious mind pretty much doesn't care about that kind of argument, as this comic illustrates:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=...2292#comic

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
12-07-2011, 08:04 PM

(12-07-2011 09:44 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I am not saying that their reasoning is sound or good. What I am saying is that the religious mind has already constructed ways around these arguments so trying to negate them is pointless. If they could be reasoned with they would not believe them. The only way for the barber to prove a point is to present an argument for which no religious answer can satisfy.

Ah, well in that case no arguments against God will work. If they don't know the proper response, they'll assume it's already been refuted Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2011, 08:10 PM
I never saw that chalk story before >.> So they want us to believe the professor who had made this challenge for 20 years didn't realize occasionally by chance something would happen besides the chalk breaking? His many other classes were plenty of proof to his position, but no he just plain runs out of the room afraid that the chalk did not break one time. -_-

They realize he's supposed to be a philosophy teacher at a university right? Are they saying college professors are stupid?

Grasping at straws.......

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.