Is threatening hell to others freedom of speech

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2014, 05:00 AM
RE: Is threatening hell to others freedom of speech
I agree with the spirit of Chippy's post, though I'm not so vitriolic about it. Perhaps, in part, because I have no vested interest in the matter.

edit: Also of note - Genuine "Freedom of Speech" is an illusion outside of anarchy, but I am for something much closer to to "Freedom of Speech" than that of the OP.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 05:00 AM
(08-01-2014 04:08 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  If anyone writes "you are going to burn in hell" it is a threat.

Children and other vulnerable people will read it.

It's unacceptable.

Bullshit! Victorian law doesn't cover the fate of your "immaterial soul". You are a fucking half-wit crypto-fascist. Maybe you can overdose them on ionic zinc and magnesium to assuage their fears of something they don't believe exists.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2014, 05:05 AM
(08-01-2014 05:00 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I agree with the spirit of Chippy's post, though I'm not so vitriolic about it. Perhaps, in part, because I have no vested interest in the matter.

edit: Also of note. Genuine "Freedom of Speech" is an illusion outside of anarchy, but I am for something much closer to to "Freedom of Speech" than that of the OP.

We have no Bill of Rights at the state or federal level in Australia and it is due in a large part to crypto-fascists like these two tools that want to micro-manage the lives of others by recruiting the coercive power of the state to enforce what are essentially their aesthetic preferences.
08-01-2014, 05:07 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 06:59 AM by DLJ.)
Hitchens' presentation would have been a lot shorter if Chippy had written it.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
08-01-2014, 05:13 AM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2014 01:00 AM by Dark Light.)
(08-01-2014 05:05 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 05:00 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I agree with the spirit of Chippy's post, though I'm not so vitriolic about it. Perhaps, in part, because I have no vested interest in the matter.

edit: Also of note. Genuine "Freedom of Speech" is an illusion outside of anarchy, but I am for something much closer to to "Freedom of Speech" than that of the OP.

We have no Bill of Rights at the state or federal level in Australia and it is due in a large part to crypto-fascists like these two tools that want to micro-manage the lives of others by recruiting the coercive power of the state to enforce what are essentially their aesthetic preferences.

I had already gathered your thoughts on the matter. Explanation unwarranted, though I appreciate it anyhow. May I suggest that in order to gain supporters of your position you use language which is is less offensive and rancorous. It tends to only make people defensive, and will often times cause people to become entrenched in their view, and create unnecessary hostilities; unless of course your goal is to create hostilities. It isn't required for debate. Actually, it's more often than not counter to logical debate.

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
08-01-2014, 05:15 AM
Re: Is threatening hell to others freedom of speech
I don't think it's a threat unless the person intents to do legitimate harm.

Just as if I said, I wish you get hit by a bus, isn't a threat because I'm not expressing that I want to do it. In contrast, it's a threat if I said, I'm going to run you over.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-01-2014, 05:16 AM
(08-01-2014 05:07 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Hitchens' presentation would have a lot shorter if Chippy had written it.

Drinking Beverage

Well, that's a plus. When it comes to Hitchens, less is certainly more. He was a pompous war mongering ass.

08-01-2014, 05:21 AM
(08-01-2014 05:16 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 05:07 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Hitchens' presentation would have a lot shorter if Chippy had written it.

Drinking Beverage

Well, that's a plus. When it comes to Hitchens, less is certainly more. He was a pompous war mongering ass.

Maybe but that don't make him wrong on 'free speech' and 'religion', now do it?

Tongue

08-01-2014, 05:23 AM
(08-01-2014 05:13 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 05:05 AM)Chippy Wrote:  We have no Bill of Rights at the state or federal level in Australia and it is due in a large part to crypto-fascists like these two tools that want to micro-manage the lives of others by recruiting the coercive power of the state to enforce what are essentially their aesthetic preferences.

I had already gathered your thoughts on the matter. Explanation unwarranted, though I appreciate it anyhow. May I suggest that in order to gain supporters of you position you use language which is is less offensive and rancorous. It tends to only make people defensive, and will often times cause people to become entrenched in their view, and create unnecessary hostilities; unless of course your goal is to create hostilities. It isn't required for debate. Actually, it's more often than not counter to logical debate.

No there is no changing the minds of crypto-fascists that make other people's business their own business. Because Australia didn't have to fight for independence from Britian and because Britain itself has no Bill of Rights we have a culture of intrusive government. Government is the solution to everything in the mind of the typical Australian. We have three levels of government: federal, state and local; and the petty intrusiveness increases as we move downwards and most Australians are happy with it all because they can't imagine it being otherwise.
08-01-2014, 05:25 AM
(08-01-2014 05:15 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't think it's a threat unless the person intents to do legitimate harm.

Just as if I said, I wish you get hit by a bus, isn't a threat because I'm not expressing that I want to do it. In contrast, it's a threat if I said, I'm going to run you over.

Apparently that distinction is too complicated for two people to grasp.