Is tithing just another form of gambling?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Is tithing just another form of gambling?
So if the church requires 10%, with the promise that "god" will bless you with a great fortune if you give, is this simply a form of gambling?

I am a ex catholic..and while we passed the offering plate, there certainly was no tithing requirement so I am not really familiar with the dynamics of giving your money to the church.

I see no difference between spending $100 on scratch off tickets hoping that this time, this ticket, will result in the big win for me.

thoughts? insight? I'd like to hear from theist who do tithe.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
24-09-2013, 10:48 AM
RE: Is tithing just another form of gambling?
Actually since you aren't going to get anything in return, though you might with a scratch ticket, I think it's more like pitching money into a wishing well.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
24-09-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm not talking about the reality of the situation, in which the wishing well fits the description aptly.

I'm - for a second and for the sake of keeping the argument simple - conceding that for the purposes of this debate, God exists and the Bible is accurate and should be taken literally.

So, with that in mind, isn't it just another form of gambling, if the reason you are giving is to be blessed with wealth.
24-09-2013, 10:55 AM
More like blackmail...in my opinion, but that's not the kind of info you are seeking, so I'll step back now.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
24-09-2013, 12:11 PM
(24-09-2013 10:45 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  So if the church requires 10%, with the promise that "god" will bless you with a great fortune if you give, is this simply a form of gambling?

I am a ex catholic..and while we passed the offering plate, there certainly was no tithing requirement so I am not really familiar with the dynamics of giving your money to the church.

I see no difference between spending $100 on scratch off tickets hoping that this time, this ticket, will result in the big win for me.

What happens if you do not tithe? Are you kicked out of the church? If so tithing can be looked at as membership dues in a club.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
24-09-2013, 03:16 PM
(24-09-2013 10:45 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  So if the church requires 10%, with the promise that "god" will bless you with a great fortune if you give, is this simply a form of gambling?

It's more like a protection racket...if you pays your 10%, you get blessed...but if not - things might not go so well for youse, wiseguy...
[+] 4 users Like Atheist_pilgrim's post
24-09-2013, 03:19 PM

Based on my experience as a former theist who tithed, it's more like a protection racket...if you pays your 10%, you get blessed...but if not - things might not go so well for youse, wiseguy...
01-10-2013, 01:41 PM
(24-09-2013 03:16 PM)Atheist_pilgrim Wrote:  It's more like a protection racket...if you pays your 10%, you get blessed...but if not - things might not go so well for youse, wiseguy...

This is exactly what I was going to say.
01-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Don't they say that if you give to the church, you'll receive twice what you give in return? If that's the case, then it would be an extremely high-yield, short term investment program.

"Fuck the 401(k)! There's a collection plate being passed!"

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
17-03-2014, 09:26 AM
I heard through the grape fine my Fundy father in law told my wife's sister if she wants all her problems to go away she should start tithing. She's on welfare. Oh GOD I had to laugh.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes CONVERSIONTUBE's post