Is true love real or is it just simply sentimental

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2011, 08:43 PM
RE: Is true love real or is it just simply sentimental
(06-03-2011 06:20 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Looks like I am a minority on this subject. Don't know what to really say besides maybe my opionion on this will change when I finally get a relationship. Looks like just about everyone on these threads has someone but me.

You will. Smile

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2011, 09:40 PM
(06-03-2011 06:20 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Looks like just about everyone on these threads has someone but me.

I was there for what seemed a long time. Get on with your life. As you are getting on with your life you will meet people. Talk to people. As you get used to talking to people things will get easier and women will be more open to you.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
10-03-2011, 05:40 PM

I think that "true" love and "soul mate" are labels just as right and wrong are. After all, these things obviously don't exist in the physical sense, you can't hold "right" in your hand, after all.

That being said, though, you can't hold addiction in your hand, either. I am not ready to dismiss true love, as I cannot dismiss love. I think it depends on personal definition.

I believe that we all experience love, and maybe "true love" doesn't mean love that doesn't lose its intensity, but rather love that SURVIVES losing its intensity.

I love my wife. I don't show it as ferociously as I used to, but the ways in which I show it (and which she shows me) have grown subtler and pervaded our lives more.

Is that "true" love?

I suppose that like "right" and "wrong", it depends on what you are comparing it to.

She never thought she would get married, and that if she did, it would be to someone in her little town, leading the same little life. For her, this marriage and our relationship is true love. But she is a much more spiritual person than I am.

For me, this is simply love. I don't know if it fits the definition of "true" love, because I think that by questioning it, I denigrate the love that I already have. So I don't question it, and try to love her as much as she loves me.
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2011, 09:38 PM
My definition of love leads primarily to interest and desire. It makes for a rather easy way to answer a lot of the questions. I believe that there are those people who interest you more than others. I met someone who was so perfectly like me, that despite our not being together I can't really connect with anyone else I've tried anywhere near that level.

Like a lot of fringe people, (intersexed is a fringe group =p) the amount of options for me is much smaller than on average, and I succeeded in meeting someone too good to pass up online. Some day I'll find someone else who I connect with at a similar level, stop connecting with this person, or succeed in my current goal of being with them. I don't know how you escape a toxic relationship when you can't fault any of the parties logically =p Logically my relationship that doesn't work makes sense.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.