Is veganism at the "moral baseline"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2012, 03:11 PM
RE: Is veganism at the "moral baseline"?
(24-04-2012 03:01 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 02:56 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Orcas are self aware. They play with their food (aka Seals).
I'm gonna start chasing live chickens and pigs around the yard before I eat them. Big Grin

Honestly though, I think vegetarianism and veganism are just symptoms of an oversensitivity to animals. I don't mean this to sound bad but it's probably more of a human defect than moral enlightenment.
I wouldn't call it a defect or oversensitivity. I would call it a misunderstanding of evolution, the misunderstanding of psychology, and gullibility. The gullibility aspect comes from their constant belief that PETA and other animal activist documentaries show the absolute proof, and do not at all fudge their facts.

I think of the moral aspect of vegetarianism is just as valuable and sentimental as the Kony2012 campaign. Cool thought to save the children, everyone's happy in a perfect world, but it is impossible to obtain and very, very corrupted.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2012, 03:26 PM
(24-04-2012 03:11 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The gullibility aspect comes from their constant belief that PETA and other animal activist documentaries show the absolute proof, and do not at all fudge their facts.
Aint that the truth. There are def some serious animal rights violations going on in some plants but for the most part they are very humane and that seems to be top priority at many slaughterhouses.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
24-04-2012, 03:42 PM
(24-04-2012 02:47 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The fact that we have "self awareness" (whatever this means) is not sufficient enough a reason to say that eating meat is wrong.
I agree. That is why I also said--along with self awareness--that we are more intelligent and that we are moral agents. If you all would like to explain to me how Dolphins are on the same level of intelligence/self awareness/abstract base thinking of morality as we are, then please, I am all eyes.

Also, target my arguments as a whole.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
24-04-2012, 04:14 PM
If we just caught our own meat then it would all be okay... I have had my eye on my neighbour's cats for some time now.

[Image: opforum1.png]
24-04-2012, 04:35 PM
So many cats, so few recipes.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
24-04-2012, 04:37 PM
For me it is the other way around.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
24-04-2012, 05:05 PM
(24-04-2012 03:42 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 02:47 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The fact that we have "self awareness" (whatever this means) is not sufficient enough a reason to say that eating meat is wrong.
I agree. That is why I also said--along with self awareness--that we are more intelligent and that we are moral agents. If you all would like to explain to me how Dolphins are on the same level of intelligence/self awareness/abstract base thinking of morality as we are, then please, I am all eyes.

It doesn't really matter bro. Most people just don't feel the same about the issue as you do. You feel that we've reached a level of intelligence where we should be above the unnecessary killing of animals and others feel that our intelligence has allowed us to come up with efficient ways of providing food for the world population. What bothers me is that you seem to feel that you are somehow on a higher level of morality or evolution based on your position. I don't agree with you. Or maybe I'm still misunderstanding you.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
24-04-2012, 07:34 PM
(24-04-2012 05:05 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 03:42 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I agree. That is why I also said--along with self awareness--that we are more intelligent and that we are moral agents. If you all would like to explain to me how Dolphins are on the same level of intelligence/self awareness/abstract base thinking of morality as we are, then please, I am all eyes.

It doesn't really matter bro. Most people just don't feel the same about the issue as you do. You feel that we've reached a level of intelligence where we should be above the unnecessary killing of animals and others feel that our intelligence has allowed us to come up with efficient ways of providing food for the world population. What bothers me is that you seem to feel that you are somehow on a higher level of morality or evolution based on your position. I don't agree with you. Or maybe I'm still misunderstanding you.
I don't understand how you can say we are not. We are able to manipulate evolution, the very thing that brought us to this point. We are self aware. We are capable of abstract thinking. And most importantly, we have the ability to prevent harm. If we have this ability, why not use it?

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
24-04-2012, 11:27 PM
And all that is true NotSoVacuous, but as germanyt has stated, not everyone feels the same way about the fact. Take me for example. I care, I love animals, but not in that extend to stop eating meat or go on some PETA rallies. What I do care probably more than you do is the world economy, banking systems and technology manipulation. I would kill someone for those things, you would maybe kill someone for animal rights. Maybe you wouldn't.

It all comes back to our perception of things, we all have different priorities in life, so someone has animals, someone has something else. You just can't expect everyone to feel the same way about some things, general morality is not an issue here, it's the way people prioritize their important things in life.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
25-04-2012, 07:55 AM
(24-04-2012 11:27 PM)Filox Wrote:  And all that is true NotSoVacuous, but as germanyt has stated, not everyone feels the same way about the fact. Take me for example. I care, I love animals, but not in that extend to stop eating meat or go on some PETA rallies. What I do care probably more than you do is the world economy, banking systems and technology manipulation. I would kill someone for those things, you would maybe kill someone for animal rights. Maybe you wouldn't.

It all comes back to our perception of things, we all have different priorities in life, so someone has animals, someone has something else. You just can't expect everyone to feel the same way about some things, general morality is not an issue here, it's the way people prioritize their important things in life.

Good post. Another example is donating money. I could donate to PETA and have a human rights activist ask me why, since I'm aware of the poverty in Africa I don't donate to a cause that could save a person's life intead of an animal. It really boils down to what you find important.

-Mark Twain