Is volunteering for the military a potentially unethical decision?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2012, 01:24 PM
RE: Is volunteering for the military a potentially unethical decision?
(01-03-2012 01:20 PM)Zat Wrote:  
(01-03-2012 12:45 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes, there will be collateral damage during war, but the big picture is more important than the smaller one.

KC, I see that your god allows you to profess the age old lie: "the end justifies the means" and has no problem with killing and mass murder.

But the christian religion was never too shy to use the sword for its own ends, was it? Rolleyes

I fail to see what my Christianity has to do with the topic at hand. Strawman much?

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
01-03-2012, 01:27 PM
(01-03-2012 01:15 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No. As a whole, unethical decisions by a CO that affect lives are not common.

... and you talk about the BIG PICTURE?

How about the unethical decisions made by the ruling elite in Washington and the "military-industrial complex" that we were warned against by no less than one of your presidents?

Those who started the whole avalanche going?

When you volunteer, you undersign ALL of it, not just what your CO told you.

Come on KC, open your eyes a bit wider, will you? Huh
01-03-2012, 01:42 PM
(01-03-2012 01:27 PM)Zat Wrote:  
(01-03-2012 01:15 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No. As a whole, unethical decisions by a CO that affect lives are not common.

How about the unethical decisions made by the ruling elite in Washington and the "military-industrial complex" that we were warned against by no less than one of your presidents?

And we as citizens have faith in our country that it operates as "good" and not "evil". This faith allows us to trust the higher ups with decisions that we are not authorized to make.

Like it or not, everyone, despite your religious or lack of religious belief, has faith in something. The very fact that you are a US citizen is a testament to that faith. Your faith in the US is enough to stay in the US; however, if that faith reaches a critical mass then you would do whatever you could leave. If that faith hasn't reached a critical mass then you will justify your actions for staying or not fully agreeing with the US. However, in the end, your faith in the US is enough to keep you here.

By subjugating yourself to this faith, you are subjugating yourself to the morals and ethics of the unit. So really, maybe your personal ethics and morals aren't what you actually thought because they have been laundered by justifications.

01-03-2012, 01:46 PM
(01-03-2012 01:42 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The very fact that you are a US citizen is a testament to that faith.

I hope, KC, that you were using the general 'you' and not addressing me personally?

Thanks god (the one I don't believe in) that I am not.

I am a Canadian and that is the best place (until quite recently) I could find on the planet.

Now I am too old to look elsewhere.

Maybe I just go back to my home Planet Malmac -- oh, shit, I forgot it exploded in a nuclear holocaust!

Maybe that is why I am so passionate warning you about your fate? Big Grin
01-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Yes.

"You" as a general whole; in context of the topic.

01-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Anyway, KC, as I said on the "Ignore List" thread, I really think that your grasp on reason is very tenuous, as proven by your endless religious arguments.

If you don't mind, I will just disengage from you at the moment, because further silliness would serve no purpose. However, don't worry, I will not put you into my ignore list because it is too much fun teasing you about religion.

No hard feelings, I hope Huh
01-03-2012, 01:54 PM
(01-03-2012 01:42 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(01-03-2012 01:27 PM)Zat Wrote:  

And we as citizens have faith in our country that it operates as "good" and not "evil". This faith allows us to trust the higher ups with decisions that we are not authorized to make.

Like it or not, everyone, despite your religious or lack of religious belief, has faith in something. The very fact that you are a US citizen is a testament to that faith. Your faith in the US is enough to stay in the US; however, if that faith reaches a critical mass then you would do whatever you could leave. If that faith hasn't reached a critical mass then you will justify your actions for staying or not fully agreeing with the US. However, in the end, your faith in the US is enough to keep you here.

By subjugating yourself to this faith, you are subjugating yourself to the morals and ethics of the unit. So really, maybe your personal ethics and morals aren't what you actually thought because they have been laundered by justifications.

The old root for the home team or GTFO of the stadium argument. As if the only reason people stay in a country is if you have 'faith' in it. I, like countless others, have no faith in this government, yet we all stay. I think voter turnout is a clear indication about how much faith they have in their government, they simply don't see the point in wasting their time.

It simply not that easy to just pack up and simply move.
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post
01-03-2012, 01:55 PM
(01-03-2012 01:54 PM)Zat Wrote:  Anyway, KC, as I said on the "Ignore List" thread I really think that your grasp on reason is very tenuous, as proven by your endless religious arguments.

If you don't mind, I will just disengage from you at the moment, because further silliness would serve no purpose. However, don't worry, I will not put you into my ignore list because it is too much fun teasing you about religion.

No hard feelings, I hope Huh

It's all good.

You don't have to apologize. I'm not mad or anything.

Until we meet again...

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
01-03-2012, 02:08 PM
First. All of us trust that where we live is actually better than most places. I mean seriously. it's true. Sure I'd probably rather live a couple of other places too, but I assure you there are more places I'm delighted to not be living in.

But that's totally besides the point. Bunch of derailers.

To actually answer the question posed within the title:

Yes it is potentially an unethical decision. But it is also potentially not. This keeps getting lumped into a whole. Some people are talking from experience, some are talking from having read shit, and some are talking about really large groups.
But this question in particular, the one in the title, is relative.
I would argue that there are people who would feel that they had to do whatever they were told, and I would imagine that there are people with positions of power that would use this position to do bad things. When these two people meet bad things can happen.
But I would also imagine (I have a great imagination) that there are people who would rather go to jail than purposefully do bad things, and I would imagine that there are people with positions of power that would feel it impossible to take advantage of their power, or just don't want to do bad things.
To lump every individual into one group and say that it is for one as it is for all, is not true.

So the answer is both yes and no.

[Image: mzIqm.gif]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
01-03-2012, 02:17 PM
(01-03-2012 01:15 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  If that faith hasn't reached a critical mass then you will justify your actions for staying or not fully agreeing with the US. However, in the end, your faith in the US is enough to keep you here.

(01-03-2012 01:54 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  It simply not that easy to just pack up and simply move.

Exactly.