Is weed really safe for all?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2014, 11:29 AM
RE: Is weed really safe for all?
Weed DOES affect short term memory. Retention is diminished when you are high, and some studies suggest that long term heavy users may have diminished recall even when they are straight.

Although weed is not chemically addictive, it IS habit forming. Because it is "mind altering" habitual addiction can seriously affect your life.

Many studies indicate that weed can slow the development of the brain in children. Until the brain stops growing, it is important to avoid marijuana, especially heavy use (no study to date has indicated that anything other than heavy use has an effect, but that is inconclusive. Best be safe and wait)

Weed does NOT kill brain cells. The study that made that claim was a ridiculously flawed experiment that was discredited mere weeks after it was publicly released. Turns out, when you put an airtight helmet on a monkey, then fill it with absurd amounts of marijuana smoke (~ 100 TIMES what you would inhale normally) that smoke displaces oxygen (duh) causing the monkeys to asphyxiate and causing brain damage. On the contrary, the cannabinoids in weed bond to very specific cannabinoids receptors in the brain, causing a host of benefits.

I suspect the apathy your friend is displaying is a result of addiction. He fact is, weed makes you dopey. If you constantly smoke it (especially in quantities intended to get you high) you will inevitably be constantly dopey. Anything that alters mood has the potential for addiction, and the negatives that come with it. Fortunately for your friend, if he decides to overcome his addiction, it will be a relatively easy thing to beat. Certainly easier than alcohol, cigarettes or caffeine, since those carry with them a chemical addiction as well as habitual.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like Stark Raving's post
19-03-2014, 03:16 PM
You basically said the same thing I did in much better detail =) Thanks.

I think it's been demonized for WAY too long, and it's benefits in the medical community are horrifically over looked.

(19-03-2014 11:29 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Weed DOES affect short term memory. Retention is diminished when you are high, and some studies suggest that long term heavy users may have diminished recall even when they are straight.

Although weed is not chemically addictive, it IS habit forming. Because it is "mind altering" habitual addiction can seriously affect your life.

Many studies indicate that weed can slow the development of the brain in children. Until the brain stops growing, it is important to avoid marijuana, especially heavy use (no study to date has indicated that anything other than heavy use has an effect, but that is inconclusive. Best be safe and wait)

Weed does NOT kill brain cells. The study that made that claim was a ridiculously flawed experiment that was discredited mere weeks after it was publicly released. Turns out, when you put an airtight helmet on a monkey, then fill it with absurd amounts of marijuana smoke (~ 100 TIMES what you would inhale normally) that smoke displaces oxygen (duh) causing the monkeys to asphyxiate and causing brain damage. On the contrary, the cannabinoids in weed bond to very specific cannabinoids receptors in the brain, causing a host of benefits.

I suspect the apathy your friend is displaying is a result of addiction. He fact is, weed makes you dopey. If you constantly smoke it (especially in quantities intended to get you high) you will inevitably be constantly dopey. Anything that alters mood has the potential for addiction, and the negatives that come with it. Fortunately for your friend, if he decides to overcome his addiction, it will be a relatively easy thing to beat. Certainly easier than alcohol, cigarettes or caffeine, since those carry with them a chemical addiction as well as habitual.
[+] 3 users Like Sceadwian's post
20-03-2014, 03:51 AM
Wouldn't smoking weed potentially have the same effects on the lungs as cigarette smoking?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
20-03-2014, 04:25 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2014 04:31 AM by Monster_Riffs.)
In my mid to late teens. 15 to 19, I smoked a lot of weed and I mean a lot! I was the quintessential stoner. I was definitely addicted. It wasn't so much my I.Q that was effected but my motivation, to even be bothered to think. My whole life evolved around smoking dope and making sure I didn't run out. From the age of 17 to 19 I was at my worst. I always had some too because my brother used to sell it, I got what I wanted, sold some for him here and there and was never out of pocket. It was a teenage stoners dream! ... I'm in my late 30s now and have had 'cloudy' memory problems ever since I smoked the stuff. ... The smokers on here may know what I mean when I say this, but can you remember how your head felt 'misty', just not quite right the morning after a heavy smoking sesh? I don't mean a couple of joints, I mean a session. ... Well 18 years later, when I'm trying to recall things, especially short term, I can still feel 'cloudy' or 'misty' in the back of my mind. It is the exact feeling from the next day after a session. I can almost psycho semantically smell cannabis through my nostrils when I exhale as it's happening.

Cannabis is like alcohol in the regard that, it's probably ok for most people in moderation. ... I didn't do it in moderation, I spoiled myself with it and had an addiction problem, which is why I will never go back to smoking it. I have no issue with people doing it and think it should be legal. I just thought I'd share my experience though, because I have had this sort of conversation many times with many people over the years and what strikes me as odd is the naivety of a lot of smokers ... 'it's not addictive', or 'well that was you, I won't get addicted.' ... I bump in to the same people years later and they're nearly always either long term unemployed total pot heads who blame everyone and everything except themselves and the spliffs for their situation, or they've sorted their shit out and told me I was right! Some of them do what I did and jack it in completely, some seem to make the transition to smoking in moderation and return to the world of functional human beings.

I think part of the problem with abusing cannabis is its 'harmless' reputation. ... I mean, there are no proven long term negatives right? It's not chemically addictive right? It's not as bad as alcohol right? It mellows you out and enhances creativity right? ... I am by no means saying this happens to everyone, not even the majority ... but ... I am saying on the other side of the coin it could happen to anyone! Before you know it, you have worn the shape of your arse in to your sofa and two years have flown by!

Stay safe kids! Uncle Monster loves you! Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
20-03-2014, 05:46 AM
Anything can be addictive - i.e. there are people who won't be able to stop using/abusing it once exposed to it.

The big ones are alcohol and tobacco - but sugar and carbs are close runners up, xtreme sports, body building, exercise, sex, fetishes, jogging, gambling, various and sundry drugs, even tanning and buying items such as shoes. If it exists, it is addictive to someone.

Everything is bad for you if done/used in excess. Some things hurt your body, some your brain, some your pocket book.

Most things are mostly self destructive, some such as alcohol hurt many others around you too.

All the things you can get addicted to are beneficial in moderation. If we started banning them all, we'd have nothing left.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-03-2014, 07:31 AM
(19-03-2014 11:27 AM)Sceadwian Wrote:  It does change brain structure in the young though to what exact effect is unknown though,

That has been asserted by prohibitionists but not demonstrated. The NZ "study" they cite was deeply flawed.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
20-03-2014, 07:37 AM
(20-03-2014 03:51 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Wouldn't smoking weed potentially have the same effects on the lungs as cigarette smoking?

Generally folks who smoke it don't smoke anywhere near as much material as those who use tobacco, and no, they don't act the same, Tobacco has a shitload of carcinogens in it.

And who smokes it anymore, anyway, really?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
20-03-2014, 09:49 AM
(20-03-2014 07:37 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 03:51 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Wouldn't smoking weed potentially have the same effects on the lungs as cigarette smoking?

Generally folks who smoke it don't smoke anywhere near as much material as those who use tobacco, and no, they don't act the same, Tobacco has a shitload of carcinogens in it.

And who smokes it anymore, anyway, really?

Yeah! 'Cause we all inject the pot now. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Inhaling the smoke from combusted plant matter is harmful to the lungs. Tobacco is unique (especially the "tobacco" in modern cigarettes) in that it has extra carcinogens, like Taq mentioned. Further, inhaling JUST the evaporated terpenes has actually been shown to be BENEFICIAL, particularly in asthmatics.

As far as the effects on young people, there is nothing conclusive to indicate any physiological damage is done. But there's enough to suggest there's a link to delayed brain development to a very small degree. When it comes to kids, I feel this is AMPLE reason to avoid marijuana for recreation until you've finished growing.

Monster, shit man, that sucks. I'm sorry you went through that. I agree that although everything is potentially addictive, weed DOES deserve a special mention. And I certainly didn't mean to downplay the seriousness of it by mentioning that it's not chemically addictive. Weed is undeniably more habit forming than most. And habitual weed smoking CAN be very demotivating. Every stoner knows it. Weed makes you mellow. And without caution, mellow can quickly become lazy.

...apparently a shout out to the dabbers is in order. Hoot.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
20-03-2014, 11:11 AM
(19-03-2014 11:29 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Weed DOES affect short term memory. Retention is diminished when you are high, and some studies suggest that long term heavy users may have diminished recall even when they are straight.

Weed does NOT kill brain cells. The study that made that claim was a ridiculously flawed experiment that was discredited mere weeks after it was publicly released.

Ok, I'll need your source for that. As I understand it, alcohol, weed, probably coffee, all kill brain cells overtime. I mean it's just common knowledge at this point isn't it. Your brain cells are dying naturally with age and I think studies show that those things increase the speed by some measure. Am I crazy here?

I'm sure there are studies that show a life time of alcohol abuse and /or excessive weed use will kill brain cells?

I don't want to argue, I just think it's the current status quo and welcome being proved wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user