Is weed really safe for all?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2014, 12:04 PM
RE: Is weed really safe for all?
It really depends on what you value.
If someone values a sharp memory, IQ, thinking & reasoning skills, work motivation and overall benefit to cognitive skills (including sports) etc then weed is probably harmful, especially if a regular user.

If you value being stoned as an alternative and generally sloppy life and crap memory & laziness then this is where weed often results.

Technically someone is unlikely to get some acute injury unlike alcohol - so it is safer than alcohol binge drinking or long term alcohol abuse.
There may be cases of those people susceptible to schizophrenia or various types of depression which weed can exacerbate - and bring people over the edge (when no exposure may have not precipitated such mental health issues.) I have met some cases of people seriously mentally harmed by weed which took a very long time to recover from (if they did)

The problem is what is someone decides to go down the weed path but later, many years later regrets it ? Can the cognitive harm be reversed ?

My personal opinion is that I regret my weed days in university because I could have studied harder and become smarter. However that is my own value NOW. It was not a priority then at university. So my personal opinion is to avoid weed altogether as a nasty drug except when used therapeutically (eg for pain, palliative care, MS etc) -

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2014, 12:36 PM
(20-03-2014 11:11 AM)proplayer44 Wrote:  
(19-03-2014 11:29 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Weed DOES affect short term memory. Retention is diminished when you are high, and some studies suggest that long term heavy users may have diminished recall even when they are straight.

Weed does NOT kill brain cells. The study that made that claim was a ridiculously flawed experiment that was discredited mere weeks after it was publicly released.

Ok, I'll need your source for that. As I understand it, alcohol, weed, probably coffee, all kill brain cells overtime. I mean it's just common knowledge at this point isn't it. Your brain cells are dying naturally with age and I think studies show that those things increase the speed by some measure. Am I crazy here?

I'm sure there are studies that show a life time of alcohol abuse and /or excessive weed use will kill brain cells?

I don't want to argue, I just think it's the current status quo and welcome being proved wrong.

Quote:Government experts now admit that pot doesn’t kill brain cells. This myth came from a handful of animal experiments in which structural changes (not actual cell death, as is often alleged) were observed in brain cells of animals exposed to high doses of pot. Many critics still cite the notorious monkey studies of Dr. Robert G. Heath, which purported to find brain damage in three monkeys that had been heavily dosed with cannabis. This work was never replicated and has since been discredited by a pair of better controlled, much larger monkey studies, one by Dr. William Slikker of the National Center for Toxicological Research and the other by Charles Rebert and Gordon Pryor of SRI International. Neither found any evidence of physical alteration in the brains of monkeys exposed to daily doses of pot for up to a year. Human studies of heavy users in Jamaica and Costa Rica found no evidence of abnormalities in brain physiology. Even though there is no evidence that pot causes permanent brain damage, users should be aware that persistent deficits in short-term memory have been noted in chronic, heavy marijuana smokers after 6 to 12 weeks of abstinence. It is worth noting that other drugs, including alcohol, are known to cause brain damage.

Taken from the NORML website NORML.org

This explains it fairly clearly, but if you want to research further (for example reading the actual studies), looking up the studies of Heath, Sikker, et al, should be easy enough from here.

Don't ever worry about arguing with me. Like you, I look forward to being proven wrong. It means I know even more! (And trust me, I've been wrong plenty Wink )

So many cats, so few good recipes.
20-03-2014, 12:46 PM
How much it affects you like ALL drugs is based upon use, not the drug itself, there is no such thing as a 'bad drug' (excluding of course the stuff that kills you) if it's used properly.

What you regret isn't so much that you used the drug, but the WAY you used the drug when you were younger, it's so easy for people to confuse the two things and the primary reason why so many people think that any drug is bad.

(20-03-2014 12:04 PM)Baruch Wrote:  It really depends on what you value.
If someone values a sharp memory, IQ, thinking & reasoning skills, work motivation and overall benefit to cognitive skills (including sports) etc then weed is probably harmful, especially if a regular user.

If you value being stoned as an alternative and generally sloppy life and crap memory & laziness then this is where weed often results.

Technically someone is unlikely to get some acute injury unlike alcohol - so it is safer than alcohol binge drinking or long term alcohol abuse.
There may be cases of those people susceptible to schizophrenia or various types of depression which weed can exacerbate - and bring people over the edge (when no exposure may have not precipitated such mental health issues.) I have met some cases of people seriously mentally harmed by weed which took a very long time to recover from (if they did)

The problem is what is someone decides to go down the weed path but later, many years later regrets it ? Can the cognitive harm be reversed ?

My personal opinion is that I regret my weed days in university because I could have studied harder and become smarter. However that is my own value NOW. It was not a priority then at university. So my personal opinion is to avoid weed altogether as a nasty drug except when used therapeutically (eg for pain, palliative care, MS etc) -
[+] 1 user Likes Sceadwian's post
20-03-2014, 01:02 PM

That would be an anecdotal, individual account, same as mine.

I started smoking it when I was 15. I am now 61 and I still smoke it. With the exception of a few years in the 70s when I was a hippie, I have smoked it in moderation. Usually I will have some before dinner, like other people have a mixed drink then. Sometimes I'll have some in the morning on a weekend and spend the day outside, walking, reading, working in the garden, playing with the dogs... I do some good thinking then and have had some of my best business ideas that way.

Another reason I like it is because it is not addictive - as in, when I travel (and I used to travel like 3 months out of the year) I don't smoke it and I don't ever miss it. Not having my morning coffee or tea or my nightcap would bother me a lot, but not having my smoke - I never missed it, didn't even think of it.

I have not found it to make me lazy or stupid ( I have done well for myself in life) and I am no more forgetful than any person my age, perhaps less so.

I have found it to enhance outdoor activities a lot, I enjoy reading and music with it more than without, and my creative thinking is at it's best at the time.

It's not fair to compare stoners and drunks to casual recreational users of weed and alcohol. If you are going to do it in excess, yes, it will have plenty of negative effects.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
20-03-2014, 01:18 PM
(20-03-2014 12:36 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 11:11 AM)proplayer44 Wrote:  Ok, I'll need your source for that. As I understand it, alcohol, weed, probably coffee, all kill brain cells overtime. I mean it's just common knowledge at this point isn't it. Your brain cells are dying naturally with age and I think studies show that those things increase the speed by some measure. Am I crazy here?

I'm sure there are studies that show a life time of alcohol abuse and /or excessive weed use will kill brain cells?

I don't want to argue, I just think it's the current status quo and welcome being proved wrong.

Quote:Government experts now admit that pot doesn’t kill brain cells. This myth came from a handful of animal experiments in which structural changes (not actual cell death, as is often alleged) were observed in brain cells of animals exposed to high doses of pot. Many critics still cite the notorious monkey studies of Dr. Robert G. Heath, which purported to find brain damage in three monkeys that had been heavily dosed with cannabis. This work was never replicated and has since been discredited by a pair of better controlled, much larger monkey studies, one by Dr. William Slikker of the National Center for Toxicological Research and the other by Charles Rebert and Gordon Pryor of SRI International. Neither found any evidence of physical alteration in the brains of monkeys exposed to daily doses of pot for up to a year. Human studies of heavy users in Jamaica and Costa Rica found no evidence of abnormalities in brain physiology. Even though there is no evidence that pot causes permanent brain damage, users should be aware that persistent deficits in short-term memory have been noted in chronic, heavy marijuana smokers after 6 to 12 weeks of abstinence. It is worth noting that other drugs, including alcohol, are known to cause brain damage.

Taken from the NORML website NORML.org

This explains it fairly clearly, but if you want to research further (for example reading the actual studies), looking up the studies of Heath, Sikker, et al, should be easy enough from here.

Don't ever worry about arguing with me. Like you, I look forward to being proven wrong. It means I know even more! (And trust me, I've been wrong plenty Wink )

Ok, I'll give it to you, you proved me wrong even though the source clearly has an agenda to make that point. Usually the skeptic in me would call bullshit because of the source. In this scenario I believe the evidence even though they have an agenda. Sometimes people with an agenda are still right.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like CONVERSIONTUBE's post
20-03-2014, 05:36 PM
(20-03-2014 09:49 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 07:37 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Generally folks who smoke it don't smoke anywhere near as much material as those who use tobacco, and no, they don't act the same, Tobacco has a shitload of carcinogens in it.

And who smokes it anymore, anyway, really?

Yeah! 'Cause we all inject the pot now. Angel

LOL vape. Green Dragon. Cheeba Chews. 21st Century, Mon.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
20-03-2014, 05:40 PM

Um Baruch, Cheech and Chong is NOT a documentary. You are parroting Reefer Madness propaganda.

(20-03-2014 01:18 PM)proplayer44 Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 12:36 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Taken from the NORML website NORML.org

Ok, I'll give it to you, you proved me wrong even though the source clearly has an agenda to make that point. Usually the skeptic in me would call bullshit because of the source. In this scenario I believe the evidence even though they have an agenda. Sometimes people with an agenda are still right.

Really? That "agenda" would be countering and debunking ONDCP Reefer Madness bullshit. Sort of like atheists "having an agenda".

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
20-03-2014, 06:30 PM
If someone values a sharp memory, IQ, thinking & reasoning skills, work motivation and overall benefit to cognitive skills (including sports) etc then weed is probably beneficial, ...

fixed. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
20-03-2014, 06:40 PM
I skimmed thru the thread. Did I understand correctly that using a vaporizer eliminates whatever negative effects marijuana could have on your lungs?

If so, it is way past time to invest in a good one. Any suggestions on a good brand/model?

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
20-03-2014, 06:43 PM
(20-03-2014 06:40 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I skimmed thru the thread. Did I understand correctly that using a vaporizer eliminates whatever negative effects marijuana could have on your lungs?

If so, it is way past time to invest in a good one. Any suggestions on a good brand/model?

Just eat it. Fucking cannibinoid receptors everywhere. That's what we been doing for a gazillion years and shit. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.