Is weed really safe for all?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2014, 07:52 PM
RE: Is weed really safe for all?
(20-03-2014 07:47 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I think we may be derailing. Shall I post canna-coconut oil in the Official Cannabis Thread?

Yes please. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2014, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2014 09:27 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(20-03-2014 06:40 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I skimmed thru the thread. Did I understand correctly that using a vaporizer eliminates whatever negative effects marijuana could have on your lungs?

If so, it is way past time to invest in a good one. Any suggestions on a good brand/model?

There simply has been no opportunity to research...well just about ANYTHING...about cannabis because of government restrictions/bans. But the advantage of vaporization is that the THC is vaporized and you don't get any smoke or particles that you would get from burning plant/flower material.

There are a helluva lot of vapes out there, and the "best" ones -- and most expensive -- are table-top affairs like the Volcano, which I'm not really interested in. I have looked some into pen-types, and wound up buying a "G-Pen" at a local shop without researching it any, because it was local and it worked with plant material rather than oil (most pen/portable vapes just do oil). It WORKS GREAT, but the problem I have with it -- and this wasn't indicated on the box or in the almost useless "manual" -- is that the "herbal chamber", which is where you load your flower and where the heating element heats it to the correct temp to vape off the THC/CBD/goodies, only lasts 5-6 weeks won average, and then you have to replace it. At $50 a pop. GRRRRRR.

I'm looking at the Magic Flight Launch Box, which also does plant material (I grow, which is why I prefer that over one that does oil), but has a lifetime guarantee. http://www.magic-flight.com/

It's ~135, but that's not bad considering the price of other vapes. And also considering that I paid $110 for the G-Pen that I am not going to shell out half the original cost of at regular intervals and consider an expensive lesson.

I only found out about the 5-6 weeks thing because I went to their website to see if there were better instructions there than what came in the package. Otherwise I'd have never known about this until the thing burned out, or whatever it does when it dies.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
20-03-2014, 09:43 PM
(20-03-2014 06:45 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 06:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Just eat it. That's what we been doing for a gazillion years and shit. Tongue

That means I'd have to learn how to cook with it, and I'd have to go thru the effort of making the stuff Laugh out load I do need to try it eventually though. Never have had edibles.

If you've got any cooking recipes or tips to share, I'll take em!! Otherwise, off to google I go Big Grin

There's plenty of good info on that on YouTube.

lso, Google "Master Wu's Golden Dragon".

It's an easy, fast AND SAFE, as opposed to butane) alcohol extraction process to make THC tincture. You use Everclear or high-proof vodka or rum. Once you make the extract you put a couple of drops under your tongue and you are golden. Short version is that first you convert the (for lack of an easier descriptor) "latent" or inactive THC-A into good ol' THC by heating the plant material to a certain temp for about 30 min (I don't recall what it is ATM, can look it up if needed and its in the Master Wu forum thread anyway). Then you extract by boiling it in alcohol at 170F in a double boiler.

Of course, the whole point of cooking with cannabutter is that it's also fat-soluble and you are doing basically the same thing as above but with butter, which can then be used in any recipe just like regular butter.

20-03-2014, 10:20 PM
(20-03-2014 07:20 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Thanks Stark Thumbsup

Sounds like with edibles, I may just end up ruining good weed, but I'll give it a shot the next time I'm heavy on supply.

It's still illegal where I live, so I wouldn't have access to extracts Sad

I think a vaporizer is the way to go for now.

What Stark said, plus this: one issue with edibles is "titration" -- which is a medical term for working out through trial-and-error what dosage(s) works for you, based on your own physiology and your needs/preferences. But with edibles there is an additional issue of a tendency for there to be inconsistency in the amount of THC from portion to portion. If you are making your own edibles, especially with cannabutter, make sure to mix the medicine in WELL so that it doesn't all glom into one corner of your pan of brownies or whatever, and give you a batch of mild/weak portions with a looper in one corner.

Also, with edibles it takes some time for the medicine to take effect. From 30 minutes to an hour or even more, depending on a lot of factors including the individual strain that it's extracted from. So it's very much different from vaping or smoking, where you can feel the effects almost immediately and easily gauge where you are vs. where you want to be.

And it should go without saying that if you love your chocolate or your brownies or your cookies and you put your medicine in some chocolates or brownies or cookies, you might want to have a stash of (well-marked!) NON-medicated chocolates, cookies or brownies on hand in case your having taken your medication in chocolate/cookies/brownies triggers a (perfectly reasonable) craving to gobble down a bunch more cookies, brownies, or chocolates. You DON'T want to gorge on candies that are medicated over a candy fix. The spoonful of sugar in your cannabrownies is only there to help the medicine go down. Tongue

20-03-2014, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2014 10:49 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(20-03-2014 07:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 07:14 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Edibles are the safest form of all. For your body to digest the cannabinoids however, you'll need to extract them with a combination of either fat or alcohol, and heat.

Some fuckers suggest microwaving for a minute or so before cooking for some fucking reason. Are said fuckers full of fucking shit? Big Grin

No. It's called "decarboxylization", and it's a process that converts THC-A (Tetrahydrocannabinolic ACID) into THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). The reason peeps smoke pot instead of chewing it like coca leaves (which is where cocaine comes from) is because the THC is NOT soluble in water/saliva. When we smoke it, we are doing a lot of things at once. The heat of the flame almost instantly decarbs the THC-A into THC, and also vaporizes the THC into an absorbable form (as well as burning the plant material, which is the part that vaporizing avoids).

IIRC (and there is a decarb chart out there that I suppose I could dig up, it's linked in the Master Wu thread), the optimum heat process for decarbing is 250F for 30 minutes. It can be done faster with a higher heat, or slower with a lower heat, but that's the one that gives the most yield with the most amount of leeway between time and temp.

Ah, here we go:

[Image: decarboxylation-graph-b.jpg]

And if you want to try home extraction with alcohol, here's how: http://boards.cannabis.com/concentrates/...bined.html

You have to read through the whole thread before you try it; there is a bit of give-and-take and trial-and-error in the writing of the thread, but the process is solid. I've done it with very satisfying results.

You can also extract THC with butter (as already mentioned above) and ALSO with (FOOD-GRADE!) glycerine. I haven't run across that procedure, but I'll be looking that up, too, and can pass that on when I find it if you or anyone is interested. I know that folks like Dixie Elixirs (who make cannabis tinctures commercially in Colorado) use the glycerine process, and of course if you don't want the alcohol for whatever reasons -- including first and foremost that even a drop of everclear burns like hell and tastes nasty by itself (the suggested method is to titrate by adding your preferred number of drops from a dropper into your favorite beverage), and if it's easy enough, it seems to make sense to go with that rather than alcohol.

22-03-2014, 12:56 AM
(18-03-2014 01:58 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  I've heard and read some things on weed being a safe drug and doesn't have the negative/dangerous effects that alcohol and the others have. Studies have been done and showed results consistent to this reality.

So I've got a friend that's a major stoner. The dude seems to be on a slow decline intellectually. I must admit that I've never really spent as much time as I am currently with him. Perhaps I'm seeing his normal intellectual ability and am disappointed.

Weed has been shown to be safe compared to other drugs but perhaps the focus of those studies was a bit too narrow. I'd like to see a study being done that includes some qualitative factors too. I'd like to see a study being done on a group of people arranged by intelligence. I wanna see how exposure to weed will affect the different people of differing intelligence. I also wanna see which group is more likely to engage in negative behaviour and susceptibility to apathy. I think the tests performed on weed were focusing on weed itself and perhaps not so much these other things I'm giving examples of.

Moderation, dude.
An occasional drink won't kill you, neither will an occasional joint.
Alcoholism will destroy liver and organs and will kill you.
Too much weed affects the brain, but won't kill you.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 2 users Like Caveman's post
28-03-2014, 05:33 AM
(18-03-2014 01:58 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  I've heard and read some things on weed being a safe drug and doesn't have the negative/dangerous effects that alcohol and the others have. Studies have been done and showed results consistent to this reality.

So I've got a friend that's a major stoner. The dude seems to be on a slow decline intellectually. I must admit that I've never really spent as much time as I am currently with him. Perhaps I'm seeing his normal intellectual ability and am disappointed.

Weed has been shown to be safe compared to other drugs but perhaps the focus of those studies was a bit too narrow. I'd like to see a study being done that includes some qualitative factors too. I'd like to see a study being done on a group of people arranged by intelligence. I wanna see how exposure to weed will affect the different people of differing intelligence. I also wanna see which group is more likely to engage in negative behaviour and susceptibility to apathy. I think the tests performed on weed were focusing on weed itself and perhaps not so much these other things I'm giving examples of.
It isn't "safe" per say. It's just significantly less dangerous than things like Tobacco and Alcohol thus keeping it illegal is silly.
28-03-2014, 08:59 AM
(28-03-2014 05:33 AM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  

It isn't "safe" per say. It's just significantly less dangerous than things like Tobacco and Alcohol thus keeping it illegal is silly.

Wow. Thanks you for that elaborate reply. Glad to see you went to the trouble of reading the thread. Lol. Tongue

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
29-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Just like everything in life, Marijuana is beneficial to some, ineffective to some, and detrimental to others. However, this rate changes with each and every substance on Mother Earth, and I would imagine that the rate of ineffectiveness/detrimentality of the active component of Marijuana (THC) is quite low, while the effectiveness/beneficence is quite high.

The great thing about Marijuana is that the user eventually determines the effectiveness of the substance, either making beneficial or detrimental to themselves.
29-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Like with anything... Too much can be risky.

The UK government recently warned that "smoking cannabis is 10 times more carcinogenic than tobacco..."

But who in their right mind smokes 20 joints a day?

I think smoking a joint or two, once or twice a week would be pretty much harmless, depending on the strength and quality.

But it also comes down to how it affects you...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user