Is work ethic a thing of the past?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Is work ethic a thing of the past?
Many of you know that I finally landed a decent job, today was the start of my second week. I am replacing a young woman that would show up late, if at all. It's an okay job, with good pay. And for a small company they even offer health insurance (and pay 90%) as well as contributing to an IRA after the year's figures are in. Casual dress. It's a busy office and there is plenty to do, at least now...it's summer and they are an HVAC company. By fall/winter, I should be up to speed and business will have slowed.

So last week they replaced the dispatcher who also had an issue with showing up for work making it necessary for the owner to take away from her time growing the business so that she can dispatch the techs and order parts. They brought in a new person last Thursday...OMG. Casual business attire doesn't mean you can come in looking like a slob, her dress in three days time has actually gotten worse, though I didn't think that possible. On the first day she starting running down all the days coming up that she would need to take off, wanted to know if she could have her first check early, and when was her insurance going to kick in.

She eats all day, is a slob, doesn't know how to flush a toilet, has had to be told to leave her Ipad at home and to put her cell phone away more than once. Then today she turns in her time to me and has decided that she doesn't need to deduct a lunch break as well as saying she was at work a half hour later than she was on Friday.

So far in three days she hasn't done anything productive...she doesn't realize that she she is being let go on Thursday. Wow, one freaking week.

What happened to at least acting like you give a damn? I know the job is paying a lot more than she had been making. She really sold a bill of goods to the owner.

As the office manager this is the kind of crap I will have to deal with if they can't find anybody that will appreciate the job and put forth some effort. Good grief!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2012, 09:00 PM
RE: Is work ethic a thing of the past?
Wow!

Some people don't deserve to have a job, do they? Dodgy

The good thing is that you won't have to put up with her crap much longer Sleepy

I don't get how those types get by in life Blink

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
24-07-2012, 03:40 AM
Quote: as well as contributing to an IRA

Holly shit, you have business with IRA? The Irish Republican Army? That is so great!

Bowing

Big Grin

Tongue

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
24-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Cripes! And here I was feeling bad for considering putting in a two weeks notice the next time I go to work. At least I show up and make sure to get my job done, and do it properly. Jobs aren't really easy to come by right now, so behavior like that (and I've seen this first hand myself, too) just confuses me endlessly!
25-07-2012, 05:48 AM
Well, she didn't make it to Thursday. After declining further, which I didn't think was possible, she did. She even took a call that someone was going to come by the office to see the owner who wasn't there and wouldn't be for a while. Didn't bother to get a name or a phone number or even think that she should let the lady know the boss wasn't in or let the boss know she was coming. That was the last straw. The owner's husband came over and let her go, on the spot.

I worked my tail off trying to find a job and she didn't even make an effort to appear interested or engaged, at all. Just kept talking about how great it was to have an office job, I am guessing she thought she was going to be paid decent money to sit there all day and not only do nothing constructive but also interrupt me while I tried to get things done.

Today I get a brand new PC...YAY! And I don't have to deal with her. One of the techs is going to dispatch till they find someone with a clue.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
25-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Revolving door people drive me nuts. I sincerely hope that they find someone who actually wants the job.

We've had that happen here several times just because they weren't the hours the person wanted when they're told before they come what their shift will be. *shakes head*
And employers hire these people all the time instead of going with the ones that are actually going to work. At least I know when I go to my next employer I can tell them the only time off I've taken was okay'd in advance for the last few years unless I was too ill to come in.

I doodle.
A lot.
My humor can also be very perverse, so forgive me if I make sexy fart jokes. :'D
25-07-2012, 07:31 AM
It's an epidemic... I know.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
25-07-2012, 08:56 AM
My work ethic is now this......

I treat all members of the public politely..... I have a big smile for them (most of the time) and I aim to solve any problems that may occur, even when its not my responsibility.

With regards to the work itself...... I do the very bare minimum that is required of me. I refuse to do any overtime and whilst I dont create any problems, I refuse to take part in anything else. The reason for this is because I think it is a two way relationship between employer and employee. A few years ago they removed our bonus for working in inclement weather and for dangerous conditions and this bonus added up to £5000 a year which as you can imagine is a lot (especially since im now on minimum wage)

Because I work for local authority and because of the "cuts" we are being pushed to work even harder for even less.... even though my job is allready hard enough.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
25-07-2012, 12:51 PM
I know how you feel. I have been working in a tech company for almost 5 years now. And I think work ethic is a thing of the past.

I have one woman who comes to work everyday looking like she's going out to a club to pick up a man. I mean come on, I am tired of your see through spandex pants and skimpy tank tops. Even if I was a guy I wouldn't want to see THAT at work.

I work my butt off everyday. I am the type of person who can't do a half ass job. It bothers my conscious if I deliberately do a crappy job, so I can't do it. I am getting past over for promotions and things in favor for people who can pump out stuff fast. Doesn't matter that it's completely wrong. All that matters is the numbers. *sigh*

Worst of all there is no appreciation anymore. I can't tell you the last time I was thanked for doing anything. Coming to work feels like a death march every morning, which is too bad, I used to love coming to work. And I like the job I do, but it's all about numbers and the bottom line now.
25-07-2012, 05:06 PM
I can't imagine behaving that way at work. If one of my sons ever treated a job that way (they are currently 9 and 11 so it is not really an issue at present), they better not expect me to come to their financial rescue.

Anjele - on the plus side, your new employer will appreciate you all the more when they view you in comparison to the other driftwood they have hired.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post