Is work ethic a thing of the past?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2012, 05:40 PM
RE: Is work ethic a thing of the past?
Owner told me tonight that if I got scared of the current turmoil and left, she would come find me and bring me back. It'll work out.

I beat myself up a little on the drive to work this morning thinking that perhaps I should have mentored her (the girl that got let go). But hell, I am learning...been there a week and a half and am finding and cleaning messes left by the last person. And then I realized you can't really teach pride, work ethic, or common sense.

Had she shown one iota of initiative she would still be there.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
25-07-2012, 05:54 PM
(25-07-2012 05:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Owner told me tonight that if I got scared of the current turmoil and left, she would come find me and bring me back. It'll work out.

I beat myself up a little on the drive to work this morning thinking that perhaps I should have mentored her (the girl that got let go). But hell, I am learning...been there a week and a half and am finding and cleaning messes left by the last person. And then I realized you can't really teach pride, work ethic, or common sense.

Do NOT beat yourself up in any way over this as, from personal experience, it's not good to get involved! Let them dig their own graves. Yes

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
25-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Definitely don't beat yourself up. The girl just didn't care. Why? I can't even begin to fathom! An office job, and she treated it so poorly? I just don't understand that! My husband and I would both kill for a nice office job!

Sounds like your boss respects and appreciates you and your work. That's always a good thing to hear!
25-07-2012, 10:31 PM
You can't help somebody who doesn't want help. They won't pick up what you're laying down.

If you had described this person as lost, unsure and nervous maybe she could have used help, but it sounds like she didn't care, didn't appreciate and didn't want to learn. Meh, then maybe the next person will be more appreciative.

That's a nice compliment you got from the owner Smile Good for you!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
25-08-2012, 09:36 AM
(25-07-2012 05:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Owner told me tonight that if I got scared of the current turmoil and left, she would come find me and bring me back. It'll work out.

The part I bolded--unfortunately, no you cannot. When I hire people, I find it takes a long time to find good people. I hire people for tech support work, so some skills are necessary. However I will pass over qualified candidates who do not demonstrate those unteachable characteristics.

A bad attitude can destroy team cohesion and productivity. Someone with a bad attitude can actually have a negative productivity impact through their affects on the team.

What you should know is that your skills are rare--yes, pride in your work, having a good work ethic, and common sense are skills. With those skills, you will be successful in almost any career you pursue.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post