Isaac Asimov

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2010, 09:27 AM

Isaac Asimov
I currently have to do Isaac for my short story project in high school. I'm absolutely in love with is work. Has anyone ever read him? Most of his stories are about robotics but he does have a few very profound, pro-science, and anti-religion stories.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TruthAddict's post
17-10-2010, 03:32 PM
RE: Isaac Asimov
Yeah, I've read several of his works.

For the most part, I don't care for his writing. He comes up with interesting plots, but there's something about his writing style that just seems incredibly dry to me. I was reading the Foundation series a few years back. About three books in there was a scene where the world was ending, the planet was exploding, people were dying, and other divers alarums were occurring and I just. Didn't. Care.

It was at that point that I stopped reading Foundation.

So for the most part I don't care for Asimov's fiction. There are exceptions - I loved The Last Question - but when I read Asimov, it's usually for his non-fiction. No one is better at laying out the principles of science and reason in an easy-to-understand format, except maybe Bill Nye.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Read all of I, Robot. All the short stories seemed a bit "outdated", except for the last one. That absolutely hit some sort of profound nail on the head. I loved the conclusions drawn from it.

I'm going to be starting the first Foundation book soon, once I'm done Frank Herberts Dune series (the ones written by him).

I don't know of any "anti-religion" stories.
Find all posts by this user
18-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Wow, a Zombie thread. Cool!

"Nightfall" comes to mind as an anti-religion story.
Or at least, it's a parable about how the masses can go insane over religious belief.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightfall_%...d_novel%29

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
18-10-2012, 02:27 PM
(18-10-2012 02:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Wow, a Zombie thread. Cool!

"Nightfall" comes to mind as an anti-religion story.
Or at least, it's a parable about how the masses can go insane over religious belief.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightfall_%...d_novel%29

Read the summary for it now, and I'll be off looking for the story online. Just from a scientific stand point of how a species would evolve on a planet that's constantly illuminated, and then plunged into darkness every few thousand years.

As for religious belief, it would be like finding out every few thousand years gravity on earth "turns off". I'm sure some sort of religious fervour would develop, but that seems expected.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
18-10-2012, 03:38 PM
I prefer Heinlein for anti-religion, if we're going to stick to the classics. For me, Asimov's best stuff was Foundation, but I did get a little tired of him rehashing pretty much the same solution to every problem for something like 5 books (that I can think of, maybe more that I didn't read).

But for Heinlein, Stranger and Job both seemed to be deep and interesting viewpoints on religion and helped shape my adolescence (for better or worse).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
18-10-2012, 03:38 PM
(18-10-2012 03:38 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I prefer Heinlein for anti-religion, if we're going to stick to the classics. For me, Asimov's best stuff was Foundation, but I did get a little tired of him rehashing pretty much the same solution to every problem for something like 5 books (that I can think of, maybe more that I didn't read).

But for Heinlein, Stranger and Job both seemed to be deep and interesting viewpoints on religion and helped shape my adolescence (for better or worse).

I grok what you're saying.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
18-10-2012, 03:53 PM
(18-10-2012 03:38 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(18-10-2012 03:38 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I prefer Heinlein for anti-religion, if we're going to stick to the classics. For me, Asimov's best stuff was Foundation, but I did get a little tired of him rehashing pretty much the same solution to every problem for something like 5 books (that I can think of, maybe more that I didn't read).

I grok what you're saying.

Thou art god.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
19-10-2012, 03:33 AM
I quite like Isaac Asimov. I find he writes real science fiction, not the fantasy stuff that a lot of writers try to pass off as sci-fi these days. I don't find his style bland, and I love that he always explains how things work in his world.

I definitely recommend the End of Eternity as one of his more subtle anti-religion works. It is really an allegory for letting go of what is safe and embracing all the possibilities that come with doing that.
Not to spoil the book for you, but the last line in the book says it all.

I have this Isaac Asimov quote pinned on my work-space at the office:
"To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today."

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
22-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Just finished listening to the audio version of Nightfall: http://escapepod.org/2007/04/05/ep100-nightfall/
I posted the link to share it. Just discovered the site, and so, sharing it as well. Hope to find more audiobook stories.

I loved the story. Especially the Lovecraftian madness that descends on the entire planet, and even on the people "prepared" for it. Loved the jab about "earth" as well.