[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2010, 07:53 PM
RE: Islam: The Religion of Peace and Tolerance
I hate how Muslims are singled out as being violent when Christianity and Judaism are just as bad.

I especially hate how people consider all Muslims violent. Just because Islam is violent, it doesn't mean all Muslims are violent. The same applies to Christians and Jews.
20-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Christians and Jews don't live like they're in the 1200s though. With the exception of Israel and Ireland.

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
21-09-2010, 12:18 AM
By cherrypicking, you can find alot of peaceful verses from the quran, but the quran is interpreted in a way that later verses undo the earlier verses, or something like that, and so the bad parts are more important than the peaceful ones.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
21-09-2010, 01:14 AM
(21-09-2010 12:18 AM)Kikko Wrote:  By cherrypicking, you can find alot of peaceful verses from the quran, but the quran is interpreted in a way that later verses undo the earlier verses, or something like that, and so the bad parts are more important than the peaceful ones.

Just like the bible in a different language and culture.
21-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Why do people always play the "You just don't like it because it's a different culture" card?

Just because you're not native to a culture doesn't mean it's somehow "xenophobic" to point out valid reasons why you don't want it near you.

It's like what thunderfoot said though: "Take any anti-islamic argument and replace 'Islam' with 'creationist' and see how many times you're called a bigot then" (not exact quote)

Still it's a big point. People are so quick to defend Islam when the day before they were talking about how much milder forms of theology were destroying minds and causing conflicts.

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
21-09-2010, 01:44 AM

You won't find this atheist (who was indoctrinated with christianity, ineffectively) defending islam, nor judaism. They're all cut from the same cloth!
Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2010, 04:28 AM
(21-09-2010 01:21 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Why do people always play the "You just don't like it because it's a different culture" card?

Just because you're not native to a culture doesn't mean it's somehow "xenophobic" to point out valid reasons why you don't want it near you.
Agreed. By that logic, I can't criticize the human sacrifices of the Aztec civilization.
21-09-2010, 05:04 AM

(21-09-2010 12:18 AM)Kikko Wrote:  By cherrypicking, you can find alot of peaceful verses from the quran, but the quran is interpreted in a way that later verses undo the earlier verses, or something like that, and so the bad parts are more important than the peaceful ones.

It's called 'abrogation'.

When Mohammed died, there was no definitive Koran. His successors had all the bits that were written down (on whatever) collected and then sorted over time. Because there was no way to know when Mohammed said what, they arranged the Surahs by length instead.

What is said on one page can be completely contradicted by what is said on another. I've tried reading the Koran. Very difficult. I got about 130 pages into it and my head hurt because there was no real continuity. I may try it again later in life. But because the surahs are by length, some preach peace and some preach war and some deal with petty disputes.

Imagine mixing up the old and new testaments in a blender and calling it a religion. You can pick out all the verses of one color and call them war, or you can pick out all the verses of another color and call them peace. But they're all still part of the same mess.
Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2010, 06:59 AM
(20-09-2010 05:59 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Huh
What the fuck?

Me feelings exactly! Cool

For the record I would say the same for Christianity and Judaism as well.
The reason Muslims seem to be the biggest threat is this: (in my opinion of course)
There are to few Jews to really cause major trouble. (except you-know-where)
Christians have a sort of "governing body" in the Vatican. They have less of a problem with deciding how the bible is to be understood because thereĀ“s a guy at the top and his word goes. Take away the pope and you would have Christian jihadists in no time.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you