Islam: The one true religion!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2011, 10:19 AM

All non believers shall burn in a Black hellfire and shall not see the mercy of allah the most gracious and merciful!
Repent now ur sins and bla bla bla bla...

Thats the usual kind of horse-shit that i was being exposed to ever since i was 3 years old.
The Thinking Athiest, and the athiest community has given me a lot, and i thought i would try and give back with some inside information on "the only true religeon in the world" and how "Allah the one true god, the most merciful, the most gracious
and that Muhammed peace be upon him is his prophet."

My life as a Muslim
And my path to Athiesm:

I was born in Cairo, Egypt and lived there all my life, ever since i was a young boy i have been growing through phase after phase of islamic indoctrination, as soon as i was old enough to go to school at 3-4 years old the war to enslave my mind began on two fronts.
The first was the private shiekh that my parents hired to come teach me and my brother about islam and the quoraan and everything else related.
The second front was in school where were taught religeon in a specified religeon class with equal time and significance in our study program as math, science, english and arabic (which was taught with extreme amounts of islamic topics embedded within).
We were taught that there was no god but allah and mohammed was his prophet, and made to repeat that endless times.
We were taught about hell from a very early age and the sheer brutality of the way it is described and taught to us used to give me nightmares.

Before i delve deeper i would like to point out that i grew up in a very moderate circle, where we were taught that ,for instance, not praying 5 times a day
would take us streight to hell my family didnt do much to enforce that except for the occasional yell. I thought (secretly) that praying five times a day was a waste of time, and i never did it. I was also in denial about it and was convincing myself that i was just lazy or tired.

I would often ask my shiekhs questions on Shariea and why it was so brutal,
Maiming a person by cutting off their hand for stealing, stoning adulterurs and homosexuals to death etc.
and the answers i got were all the same, because god says so and because they become an example. And i never agreed with all of that.

We were also raised and taught in schools and mosques to be extremely anti semetic, anti gay (and pretty much anti-anything else except islam) to the extent that most muslims would praise Adolf Hitler on the holocaust saying that the jews had it coming. Also they would glorify and praise the attacks of 9/11.
I am ashamed to say that i did participate in this biggotry for years although only in a verbal manner, as i learned more and matured more i took on a personal belief far from islam that, Nobody deserves to die especially for stupid reasons like they dont believe in the same god (althought Abrihamic religeons tend to disagree with each other on the correct way to worship god and details in scripture such as the birth of Jesus.)
When i told my teachers about my new found philosophy all i got was excuses and from then on i started doubting.

And all the while, i had seen enough documentaries and read enough articles about theory of evolution that it made more sense to me than the story of Adam and Eve.

I spent the next few years coming up with excuses, i never really agreed with most of the teachings of islam but i just went along for the fear of hell and wanting an insurance policy against it. 2 years ago my best friend who's a secret athiest, told me why he left islam and it was an eye opening 8 hour phone call (we talked about other stuff too xD.) and he left me with the words "think about it" after he talked with me about evolution, womens rights, the brutality of the quraan and shariaa and much more. He was raised in a much more religious family than i and had a deeper knowlage of the so called "teachings of islam."

Indeed i did think about it after that, on every bus ride and drive to my university and whenever i had nothing to do, whenever i was watching a documentary about space or physics. I thought over everything i was taught to believe; "Evolution is wrong, and Charles Darwin was a crazy person", the brutality of shariaa law and how even listening to music could get you in hell (i was in a band then and i didnt even care). I realised then that i was only hanging on to islam for fear of hell, i took a step back and by pure coincidence i found a video on the internet refuting the quraan. One of the examples in the video stated that the quraan said that the earth was flat and that gave me more to think about.
It is indeed true that the quraan states with absolute certainty that the earth is flat. And shiekhs and teachers tried to twist the truth or the language to give it a symbolic non literal meaning when i was taught these verses.
The thought came to me then, why would god use vague language to state a simple fact whether the earth was round or not in the one true infallible word/book of god. The language itself used was pretty clear when god says to noah in Chapter 71 verse 19 "`And Allah has made the earth for you as a carpet [spread out]."
Source:
http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/?Sura...ipt=Usmani

For the past two years (i was still doubting then), when ever i tried to spark up conversations with my friends or family about evolution, i would always get the same answers, bla bla missing link, bla bla no proof. I knew for a fact that evolution was real because i had seen enough rock hard evidence that it was, and i was just looking for someone to make sense of it for me. And every conversation ended with me unsatisfied. Just a few weeks ago i had the evolution conversation with my brother and apart from the usual "its still unproven" crap i got from him looks of anger and suspicion as if just talking about it would anger god.

The final push for me, were the videos i saw on the thinking athiest youtube channel and lectures online by richard dawkins. (Although they both talked more about christianity and the bible, most of the stories are shared.)
And just one week ago i completely refused islam, one week ago i became an Athiest.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like Jackrabbit's post
11-12-2011, 10:37 AM
RE: Islam: The one true religion!
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Have an insightful stay.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
11-12-2011, 10:47 AM
That's quite the story and I'm glad you've not fared worse. I've heard some horror stories about what could happen to people in Egypt for saying the things you just said. Over here the worst we are likely to face in most cases is dirty looks and name calling. Over there I have heard you can actually be imprisoned or killed. That would worry me a little I'm not gonna lie.
Welcome to the forum and good for you.[/align]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
11-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Welcome to Jedi. Wink

There are those who can be as evangelical about their atheism as any other fundie, but science is the telling point. A scientist is always asking questions and is never satisfied with answers that do not fit the empirical evidence. That's how I define atheist - amateur scientist - and a lot of people qualify even if they hold onto their faith. They just don't let their faith cause others needless grief.

Praying five times a day qualifies as needless grief. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-12-2011, 10:56 AM
(11-12-2011 10:19 AM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  I am ashamed to say that i did participate in this biggotry for years although only in a verbal manner, as i learned more and matured more i took on a personal belief far from islam that, Nobody deserves to die especially for stupid reasons like they dont believe in the same god (althought Abrihamic religeons tend to disagree with each other on the correct way to worship god and details in scripture such as the birth of Jesus.)

It's in the past - it isn't who you are now, but who you were. So feel shame no more Cool

It's a great story. Welcome to the forum, Jackrabbit. And thanks for the citations to scripture (I personally enjoy research).

If you haven't seen it yet, I'd suggest browsing the Skeptics' Annotated Q'uran. I think you'll enjoy reading it, and it will also help you with replies if your family tries to re-convert you.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 4 users Like Starcrash's post
11-12-2011, 11:05 AM
So much love http://pull.imgfave.netdna-cdn.com/image...835221.png
im liking it here already Tongue

(11-12-2011 10:47 AM)lucradis Wrote:  That's quite the story and I'm glad you've not fared worse. I've heard some horror stories about what could happen to people in Egypt for saying the things you just said. Over here the worst we are likely to face in most cases is dirty looks and name calling. Over there I have heard you can actually be imprisoned or killed. That would worry me a little I'm not gonna lie.
Welcome to the forum and good for you.[/align]

Its all true, If my parents find out about this post i might get disowned or worse xD
but fuck it!
[+] 6 users Like Jackrabbit's post
11-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Very inspirational story; even more of an inspiration now that I have an insight of Islam. You're admirable for believing in what feels right to you.

Welcome to the forum! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
11-12-2011, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2011 11:16 AM by Jackrabbit.)
(11-12-2011 11:13 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Very inspirational story; even more of an inspiration now that I have an insight of Islam. You're admirable for believing in what feels right to you.

Welcome to the forum! Big Grin

Thank you Smile
Also if anyone wants to know more about Islam and what we were taught i would be happy to answer to the full extent of my knowlage. Big Grin
(11-12-2011 10:56 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(11-12-2011 10:19 AM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  I am ashamed to say that i did participate in this biggotry for years although only in a verbal manner, as i learned more and matured more i took on a personal belief far from islam that, Nobody deserves to die especially for stupid reasons like they dont believe in the same god (althought Abrihamic religeons tend to disagree with each other on the correct way to worship god and details in scripture such as the birth of Jesus.)

It's in the past - it isn't who you are now, but who you were. So feel shame no more Cool

It's a great story. Welcome to the forum, Jackrabbit. And thanks for the citations to scripture (I personally enjoy research).

If you haven't seen it yet, I'd suggest browsing the Skeptics' Annotated Q'uran. I think you'll enjoy reading it, and it will also help you with replies if your family tries to re-convert you.

I like it already, its actually putting to rest some "wtf" questions i still had Tongue
Thank you
[+] 1 user Likes Jackrabbit's post
11-12-2011, 11:20 AM
And here I was just afraid of how my announcing I'm an atheist would make my poor old mom feel. You have to deal with so much more, and physically as well as emotionally. Mad props, Brutha, and welcome home!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
11-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Very nice to hear this story, I'm glad you are researching more. I have spent time in that region. Just from my short time over there I can imagine the pressures you face.

Hope to hear more from you Smile

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post