Islam and western values/society

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2017, 04:30 AM
RE: Islam and western values/society
Oh BTW, freedom of religion is one of those lovely human rights too. In other words, making an explicit "this religion is bad" post already goes against your "Western values".

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
27-02-2017, 04:34 AM
(27-02-2017 04:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 04:09 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  But who could be used as boogeyman? USSR felt so it can't be reds, Jews are now off-limits (even if anti-semitism still exist), Masons or Illuminati's are for cranks. Muslims are good choice I suppose.

If Buddhists were sitting atop a majority of the world's oil reserves, it would most likely be them. Dodgy

Ooo Ooo! I know! Foreigners stealing jobs! Leave aside that whichever government comes in should be creating enough jobs for all people, we can redirect people's anger to a group which can't fight back and distract from our own short-comings.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-02-2017, 04:38 AM
(27-02-2017 04:09 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Based on our review of the approximately 2,400 terrorist attacks on U.S. soil contained within the START database, we determined that approximately 60 were carried out by Muslims.

In other words, approximately 2.5% of all terrorist attacks on U.S. soil between 1970 and 2012 were carried out by Muslims.

From your link:
Quote:If we look at worldwide attacks – instead of just attacks on U.S. soil – Sunni Muslims are the main perpetrators of terrorism. However: 1. Muslims are also the main victims of terror attacks worldwide; and 2. the U.S. backs the most radical types of Sunnis over more moderate Muslims and Arab secularists.)

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-02-2017, 04:42 AM
(27-02-2017 04:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 04:09 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Based on our review of the approximately 2,400 terrorist attacks on U.S. soil contained within the START database, we determined that approximately 60 were carried out by Muslims.

In other words, approximately 2.5% of all terrorist attacks on U.S. soil between 1970 and 2012 were carried out by Muslims.

From your link:
Quote:If we look at worldwide attacks – instead of just attacks on U.S. soil – Sunni Muslims are the main perpetrators of terrorism. However: 1. Muslims are also the main victims of terror attacks worldwide; and 2. the U.S. backs the most radical types of Sunnis over more moderate Muslims and Arab secularists.)

Remember: It's only terrorism when they do it to us. When we do it to them, it's 'shock and awe' or 'collateral damage'.

Nobody likes to own up to the truth that unsanctioned and unilateral drone strikes on foreign soil is de facto terrorism. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
27-02-2017, 04:45 AM
(27-02-2017 04:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  

From your link:

Sure. But it's not really relevant to gov scare tactics as it is not threat of Muslims to Muslims that get played upon.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
27-02-2017, 04:53 AM
(27-02-2017 04:45 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 04:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  From your link:

Sure. But it's not really relevant to gov scare tactics as it is not threat of Muslims to Muslims that get played upon.

True, I was more interested in the following sentence, that the US backs the more radical elements even as they cry about radical Islam being a problem. Dodgy

27-02-2017, 04:57 AM
(27-02-2017 04:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 04:45 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Sure. But it's not really relevant to gov scare tactics as it is not threat of Muslims to Muslims that get played upon.

True, I was more interested in the following sentence, that the US backs the more radical elements even as they cry about radical Islam being a problem. Dodgy

Maybe US support said elements to have something to cry about?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
27-02-2017, 05:02 AM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2017 05:10 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(27-02-2017 04:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 04:45 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Sure. But it's not really relevant to gov scare tactics as it is not threat of Muslims to Muslims that get played upon.

The true price of realpolitik. Making the world inspired, grateful, or desiring to follow your lead through the example you set? That's hard. Providing clandestine support for a group of terrible people against another group of terrible people, because it favors your own selfish short term gains? That's far, far easier. Incredibly shortsighted, as we've been learning in the decades after the end of the Cold War; and yet the answer always seems to be a continuation of the status quo. Nobody seems to want to do the hard and thankless work of making other people's lives better, because the return on investment takes too long.

As I said before, the epitaph on the headstone of the United States will read "At Least The Other Side Lost Too".

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
27-02-2017, 07:24 PM
(26-02-2017 10:06 AM)NHBERDUG ZDUULRU Wrote:  
(26-02-2017 09:57 AM)cactus Wrote:  That one is poorly worded. They answered "no" to the question "Is homosexual behavior moral," which is still an extremely vague question for them to answer. The word homosexual can refer sexual attraction, sexual acts, romantic attraction, romantic acts, obtaining a legal document of marriage, crossdressing, kissing your platonic partner, sleeping in the same bed, etc etc etc etc, depending on who you ask. The word "homophobic" is even more poorly defined. It is not a word that I would personally use to describe anyone.

Homophobia is the dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people. If they think that homosexual behaviour is not moral then they are prejudiced towards homosexuals.

I also dislike the term "homophobia". It was coined as a psychological term back in the late 50's to describe the fear of some men that others might think they were gay. The term morphed into its present meaning -- general prejudice against homosexuals -- some 30 years later. But there's plenty of literature around in which the term is used in its first sense, and that plus the literal implications of it's construction invoking "morbid fear", make it inapt.

I'd rather just call it what it is: "prejudice". Islam doesn't have the market cornered on prejudice against gays; Christianity has it's fair share.

And even though I feel the world would be better off without any sort of religion, the immediate problem isn't so much one of Islam, as it is one of fundamentalism. Anyone whose belief system entails turning back the clock several centuries -- be they Muslim, Christian, Jew, or survivalist loon -- is a problem for the rest of us living in the modern world.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
27-02-2017, 07:51 PM
(26-02-2017 05:56 PM)NHBERDUG ZDUULRU Wrote:  I do not think that the Jewish culture has a lot of influence on the western culture.

That's an interesting statement.

Leaving aside that there are many different possible definitions of what might constitute "western culture", pretty much all of them are going to overlap on "American culture". American culture has been vastly influenced by Jewish culture -- in science, medicine, the arts, and popular culture.

If nothing else, just look at the number of Yiddishisms liberally salted throughout our daily language.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."