Islam is just wrong, not evil - BionicDance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2011, 04:44 AM
Islam is just wrong, not evil - BionicDance
I saw a video on YouTube by BionicDance about Islam not being evil, simply wrong - which I disagree with. I though I would post it here to see what everyone else thought.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2011, 12:20 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2011 12:24 PM by Observer.)
RE: Islam is just wrong, not evil - BionicDance
Wow... This is hands down the most ANNOYING atheist video I ever saw. The voice, the movement of the camera, the anecdotical evidence and her attitude... EEW.. Pass the eye-bleach please! If every atheist video was like that I'd get myself baptized again.

But It's about the content, not the form...

I think the problem lies in the difference between Islamic dogma and Muslims in general. I clearly understand that the Islamic dogma promotes violence against infidels, but I also understand that the vast majority of the Muslims are not as extreme as their religion prescribes. I remember a video by 3vid3nce where he talks about "killing in the name of the lord", and that thoughts about that made him very uneasy when he was still a Christian. So, too bad but, I do agree with her to a certain degree.

The majority of Muslims have their worldly position against them.
  • Undereducated
  • Poor
  • Political incompetence
No wonder fundamentalism spreads among those groups.
I think it's there that the problem lies. And not only in the Islamic dogma.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
29-05-2011, 12:27 PM

(29-05-2011 12:20 PM)The_observer Wrote:  ...The majority of Muslims have their worldly position against them.
  • Undereducated
  • Poor
  • Political incompetence
No wonder fundamentalism spreads among those groups.
I think it's there that the problem lies. And not only in the Islamic dogma.

Fundamentalism doesn't spread among just those groups. It spreads among wealthy and educated Muslims, as well. I don't know the reasons for this, but I think it's important that we acknowledge this, otherwise we cannot properly assess the issue.
Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2011, 12:30 PM
(29-05-2011 12:27 PM)Prokofiev Wrote:  It spreads among wealthy and educated Muslims, as well.

True...
Educated in what kind of schools? Islamic or secular? Undecided

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
29-05-2011, 12:33 PM

(29-05-2011 12:30 PM)The_observer Wrote:  
(29-05-2011 12:27 PM)Prokofiev Wrote:  It spreads among wealthy and educated Muslims, as well.

True...
Educated in what kind of schools? Islamic or secular? Undecided

I don't know if it matters where they attended school. For the article I linked below, many of them attended western universities, a far cry from a Middle Eastern madrasah.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1...raids.html

There's something going on here that we just don't understand.
29-05-2011, 01:14 PM

Firstly, is that a chic or a guy? Confused Mid~drift shirt does nothing to answer the question, now days.
Secondly, that music is like unto the Indian meditation music one will often hear in a New Age shop or Ashram. It sounds like the music of a Surbahar, if I'm not mistaken.

Thirdly, was that video jerky frame by frame? Or do I need to smack my Flash player around a bit?

And finally, I'd respect this more if she/he, when touting the work of Irshad
actually did know what she/he was talking about. As in the website Irshad has. When she/he said the woman's site has a virtually unpronounceable name and the pronunciation for the site appears front and center on it's home page; Ijtihad (pronounced “ij-tee-had”). I smell bullshit! From a woman/man who is simply talking about the work of Irshad without knowing a damn thing about it. Otherwise, she/he wouldn't say the name of the site is virtually unpronounceable. (Barring of course, that she/he is not functionally illiterate and just makes these videos about Thunderfoot & Pat Condell. going on what she/he hears in their YT presentations. )

She/he needs to think before they speak. Especially when it comes to recommending Muslim moderate lesbians websites that she/he clearly knows nothing about.

*edit link fix*
29-05-2011, 02:54 PM
I pointed out that all faith is technically "evil" because there are commandments to violence that fundamentalists can exploit and that other that beside Janists who have a "do-no-harm" clause above all else , every faith has orders to violence.
Apparently that makes me an Islamic apologist for extremists. Well , does it ? I'm kinda confused.

(29-05-2011 01:14 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Firstly, is that a chic or a guy? Confused Mid~drift shirt does nothing to answer the question, now days.
BionicDance , the user in the video is a woman. She knows about lesbian websites , because she IS a lesbian ... Wink
Lastly , PAt and Tf00t started out great but have gone on a bit of an edge when it comes to Islam. I don't agree with the sentiment but I do think that sometimes they go a bit overboard. And why not make videos if you're an atheist and you dislike what another atheist is saying. That's the best way to show you have a different opinion and said atheist doesn't speak for everyone.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
29-05-2011, 03:14 PM

(29-05-2011 02:54 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I pointed out that all faith is technically "evil" because there are commandments to violence that fundamentalists can exploit and that other that beside Janists who have a "do-no-harm" clause above all else , every faith has orders to violence.
Apparently that makes me an Islamic apologist for extremists. Well , does it ? I'm kinda confused.

(29-05-2011 01:14 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Firstly, is that a chic or a guy? Confused Mid~drift shirt does nothing to answer the question, now days.
BionicDance , the user in the video is a woman. She knows about lesbian websites , because she IS a lesbian ... Wink
Lastly , PAt and Tf00t started out great but have gone on a bit of an edge when it comes to Islam. I don't agree with the sentiment but I do think that sometimes they go a bit overboard. And why not make videos if you're an atheist and you dislike what another atheist is saying. That's the best way to show you have a different opinion and said atheist doesn't speak for everyone.
Thank you for clarifying her gender. I figured if they were female they were certainly Lesbian. However, she looks somewhat like a guy as well, and the voice to go along with it.

And to be clear, I have no problem with someone critiquing TFoot, who I've not watched enough to arrive at an opinion of, and Condell, whom I adore for his wit, insight and daring criticisms of Theistic models. I think his assault on Islam is due to the inroads he see's the radical side trying to make in his home country. As well as the suppression of opposition to the inculcation of Sharia law into European society. Not to forget the censoring of the Dutch Politician Geert Wilders when his own country seemingly intends to pander to radicalism by censoring freedom of speech against radical Islam.

The issue I have with this OP video is the person has every right to their opinion of TFoot and Condell however, as I said initially, when advocating for Irshad they clearly don't know anything about her website, which BionicDance promotes, which then leads one to that first impression that while she's condemning TFoot and Condell's methods, she herself isn't above board in espousing a different point of view about Islam when she clearly doesn't know anything about the work on Irshad's website. Else, BD would know how to pronounce it.

It's as if she's simply advertising for a fellow Lesbian that she's heard about being a moderate Muslim, without knowing anything more about what that means when it's simply Lesbian solidarity compelling her video production.
29-05-2011, 03:50 PM
@GassyKitten
Well , to be honest , people in the EU can be polarized on the issue.
Criticizing The Right :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWc56athKKM
Criticizing The Left :
http://www.youtube.com/user/joniversity#...7aug0tN4WE
(two good videos on the issue , kinda long , but worth it)
Now , as far as Sharia courts go , there are many religious courts for religious matters. Jews have one as well. And as far as I know they are OPTIONAL. Many have claimed they will be mandatory and they blow the issue out of proportion. The only difference I see , where I live , is that some cans of meat have halal written on them , but nothing more.

"Else, BD would know how to pronounce it. " - seriously , you can't accuse her of not knowing anything about it for not being able to pronounce it .
Well , why can't she do both ? Promote religious moderates rather than accuse everybody of being a fanatic and show support for the LGBT community ?
As for Tf00t - great scientist but lousy on social issues - however he did get threats so I can't blame him.
Condell on the other hand - just plain NO - the guy is a walking conspiracy theory to Muslims and most of the times the very links that he cites as sources debunk him.

Last , BionicDance admitted she came to youtube and was inspired to make videos by Tf00t.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
29-05-2011, 10:38 PM
gaglamesh, look up halal slaughter - its absolutely vile. The meat in the can came from an animal which had the most that people could possibly do to make it suffer done to it.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire