Islam thought experiment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2017, 09:24 AM
Islam thought experiment
Let's assume you are a woman and you live in Egypt (majority muslim country). I don't care for this thought experiment if you are atheist or not, but; no matter what you believe or not, in your passport it says "muslim" because you were born into a muslim family.

Here are your pointers for this situation:
* You are not wearing a hijab.
* The hijab is, in your opinion a traditional piece of clothing rather than religious.
* You did read the Q'ran and you understand the verses that are about women's dresscode exactly as they are written and you consider translation problems. (Meaning you take the dresscode as vague as it is in there and you translate the words "hijab" and "khimar" as coverings and dividers and you consider that in the verses they have nothing to do with hair or head)
* You also do not cover your whole body head to toe (you read the Q'ran and you know that these verses are vague, you consider that they are vague because it is dependent on the society and situation you live in)

Ok so recently, in your part of Egypt, some dictator took over and women have to wear long clothing and a hijab now because the dictator says so.
A soldier holds a gun to your head and asks you questions:
"Are you a muslim" "Where is your hijab" etc...

How do you react, knowing that if you say something wrong right now, you will be shot on the spot?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
02-04-2017, 10:34 AM
RE: Islam thought experiment
(02-04-2017 09:24 AM)Leerob Wrote:  Ok so recently, in your part of Egypt, some dictator took over and women have to wear long clothing and a hijab now because the dictator says so.

How do you react, knowing that if you say something wrong right now, you will be shot on the spot?

Well, to start you repeat "La Ilaha IllAllah Muhammadur Rasulullah" ("There is no god but God, and Muhammad is his prophet" in Arabic), which is the declaration of faith for Muslims. Muhammad had a tradition to the effect that if you kill another Muslim, it's as if you killed the whole world. Hopefully that declaration alone would stop him.

After that you should ask to see your lawyer then clam up. You certainly don't want to argue with him in that situation.

Unsure
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
02-04-2017, 11:13 AM
I'd put a hijab on. Or ask the soldier if he knows the way to the hijab shop.
[+] 3 users Like PaulPablo's post
02-04-2017, 12:00 PM
I'd tell them whatever they needed to hear in order to not kill me. I wouldn't owe them a truthful explanation. If they wanted the truth from me, they'd have to earn it, by respecting my basic human rights first. I'd just tell them the hijab got stolen, and I need a new one ASAP. If they can't deal with that explanation, then they probably weren't planning on letting me live anyway.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
02-04-2017, 12:06 PM
I'd probably get myself killed making a bad pun like "Allah go get my hijab now."

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
02-04-2017, 12:19 PM
(02-04-2017 09:24 AM)Leerob Wrote:  ---
Ok so recently, in your part of Egypt, some dictator took over and women have to wear long clothing and a hijab now because the dictator says so.

I'd ask the soldier if it was going to be difficult to kill a defenseless woman.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein