Islamophobia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2014, 01:27 AM
Islamophobia
Comedian Jim Norton described it best when he addressed the issue of islamophobia in his stand-up act "Monster Rain":

"People say 'that's islamophobic', which means 'fear of Islam.' Ok. Accurate."

As many of us know, muslims have never been the most peaceful bunch. Someone draws a picture of their prophet and, the next thing you know, they're throwing a shit-fit by smashing cars and burning flags and even killing people by various methods. Someone makes a film depicting their prophet, and again, the same thing occurs. As they capture an "infidel" and proceed to hack off his head with a dull knife, they hold the severed bit aloft and shout "Praise to Allah!" The Qur'an, their most holy text, demands explicitly that people of various types be slaughtered for their opposition to Islam. Every single day, men, women and children are slaughtered - in the most barbaric and sadistic of ways - because they've broken some aspect of Sharia Law based directly upon guidelines in the Qur'an. It has reached the point, in the year 2014, that anyone who dares to argue that Islam is not a violent religion has either been underneath a literal rock, or they are willfully ignoring the demonstrable aspects of tangible reality.

With this being the case, do you ever find yourselves feeling…uneasy after you've argued with a follower of Islam? Do you ever find yourself biting your tongue and refraining from addressing a comment made by a muslim because…well, because you're just not sure how they're going to react? Do you ever find yourself in the midst of a heated and vitriolic argument (as I often do) and then sit for a while and wonder if you should open your mail tomorrow?

I guess I might as well cut the bullshit: I got in a really nasty argument with a muslim (or 5) on FB this evening and, I'll admit, I'm feeling a little islamophobic. (I guess maybe writing this thread would make me feel better or something?) It absolutely disgusts me that there exists an ideology which demonstrates itself to be a literal threat in our daily lives; even when we're a nobody from the hills of the US. That I even feel a hint of insecurity about my personal safety is absolutely flooring.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Misanthropik's post
29-05-2014, 02:13 AM
RE: Islamophobia
I've never had to worry about Muslims being bothersome towards me over the internet specifically, but I have a somewhat unique perspective of Islam because I live in the southern U.S. and had a Muslim step father.

So here's how I feel:

The post-9/11 blind Muslim hatred has made it to where genuine concerns about Islamic violence are automatically dismissed as "redneck intolerance." The whole thing kind of pisses me off.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Cephalotus's post
29-05-2014, 02:31 AM
I felt "their" hatred and bigotry in Melbourne 2012 at the international atheist conference. It was tangible and real.

Then again, I guess I shouldn't have shouted "Mohammed was a fuckwit" in their faces. Just couldn't help myself.
[+] 6 users Like Mark Fulton's post
29-05-2014, 03:11 AM
I have a few Muslim friends, all Suni and not American. I don't get uncomfortable around them at all, and we talk Quran, Shari law, and jihad.

You would never know that violence was a part of the meaning of jihad, because, it's not for them.

I don't like the Quran any more than I like the Old Testament, very similar. I do think Islamic societies are hundreds of years backwards and that is what makes them dangerous.

I would say that communication, world view and concepts, is the greatest barrier to understanding Islam when I talk with my friends.

We are getting together this weekend to discuss jihad from the Suni perspective.

What I don't like is their understanding of a woman's place, but it often enough mirrors that of some of the red necks in Texas that I have met. Pisses me off!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 4 users Like Dee's post
29-05-2014, 03:15 AM
It's an interesting situation, isn't it? I have never felt the slightest bit of concern when criticizing Christianity or arguing with Christians - I can't say the same for Islam and Muslims.

In a way, Islam's extremists are much like members of Mexican drug cartels that decapitate people who have the guts to criticize them while located in the vicinity of Mexico.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
29-05-2014, 03:16 AM
(29-05-2014 03:11 AM)Dee Wrote:  I have a few Muslim friends, all Suni and not American. I don't get uncomfortable around them at all, and we talk Quran, Shari law, and jihad.

You would never know that violence was a part of the meaning of jihad, because, it's not for them.

I don't like the Quran any more than I like the Old Testament, very similar. I do think Islamic societies are hundreds of years backwards and that is what makes them dangerous.

I would say that communication, world view and concepts, is the greatest barrier to understanding Islam when I talk with my friends.

We are getting together this weekend to discuss jihad from the Suni perspective.

What I don't like is their understanding of a woman's place, but it often enough mirrors that of some of the red necks in Texas that I have met. Pisses me off!

Every religion has its moderates. Thankfully. (Not all christians are true scripture-followers like the WBC, after all)

Personally, though, I'm more concerned about the ones that really follow their respective doctrines.

29-05-2014, 03:19 AM
(29-05-2014 03:15 AM)Vosur Wrote:  It's an interesting situation, isn't it? I have never felt the slightest bit of concern when criticizing Christianity or arguing with Christians - I can't say the same for Islam and Muslims.

In a way, Islam's extremists are much like members of Mexican drug cartels that decapitate people who have the guts to criticize them while located in the vicinity of Mexico.

I'll say this: Never, after speaking to a christian, have I looked up the art of IP address tracking to see how easy/difficult it'd be for me to be found. Last thing I need is a middle-eastern guy showing up on my front door in a poorly-fabricated delivery-man uniform asking for a Mr. John LaVey.

Yup, that's a concern I've only ever had with the muslims. I'll give the christians that one.

[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
29-05-2014, 03:19 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/28/world/asia...an-killed/

Fuck those that would hide this vile religion behind a PC barriar. Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, and used by cowards, to manipulate morons.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-05-2014, 03:32 AM
A "phobia" is "an unreasonable fear" of something. The term misrepresents the reality of the situation. I am not afraid. I am outraged and wary and for good reason.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 6 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
29-05-2014, 03:55 AM
Then there's this Drinking Beverage

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 3 users Like Monster_Riffs's post