Islamophobia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2015, 04:07 AM
RE: Islamophobia?
(25-03-2015 01:13 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(24-03-2015 01:04 PM)Billy Bob Wrote:  Islam never had an Enlightenment, a Thirty Years war, an infestation of heretics and schismatics. If someone got out of line they were killed.
Hirsi Ali recognizes that Islam, like Christianity before it, needs 'radical' reformation or it will always be a roadblock that leaves believers ignorant and ethically challenged, poor and willing fodder for jihad and hate.

Islam had a short lived enlightenment, they however lack a reformation.

It was Islamic scholars who preserved the remnants of classical Greek and Roman knowledge while Europe wallowed in the Christian Dark Ages. Not only that, but they also made striking advances in fields like astronomy and mathematics, even today the vast majority of named stars have Arabic names, and we can thank them for the number zero, Arabic numerals, algebra, and other scientific advances.

I didn't know that. I was taught that the humanist Europeans revered the classics and that's why the renaissance began, architectural and artistic influences.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2015, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2015 09:12 AM by Atothetheist.)
(25-03-2015 01:13 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(24-03-2015 01:04 PM)Billy Bob Wrote:  Islam never had an Enlightenment, a Thirty Years war, an infestation of heretics and schismatics. If someone got out of line they were killed.
Hirsi Ali recognizes that Islam, like Christianity before it, needs 'radical' reformation or it will always be a roadblock that leaves believers ignorant and ethically challenged, poor and willing fodder for jihad and hate.

Islam had a short lived enlightenment, they however lack a reformation.

It was Islamic scholars who preserved the remnants of classical Greek and Roman knowledge while Europe wallowed in the Christian Dark Ages. Not only that, but they also made striking advances in fields like astronomy and mathematics, even today the vast majority of named stars have Arabic names, and we can thank them for the number zero, Arabic numerals, algebra, and other scientific advances.

Except for that the Zero was invented by the Babylonians, and Mayans independently, and the Arabic zero was directly influenced by the Indian concept (which some scholars argue that Babylonians influenced.) Babylon and the Mayans seem to have invented Zero as a placeholder, not an actual number (this article states that it was the Indians that made it a number). I guess Islamic countries could be credited with the spread and popularization of the idea (which I believe really should be going to Babylon anyways, but whatever, I'm not a scholar.)
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_%28number%29
http://www.livescience.com/27853-who-invented-zero.html

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
25-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Whilest I do not doubt that there are people in trailer parks in Mississipi who have dubios motivations behind their opposition of Islam.

My opposition to Islam comes from it`s venemous content, the way it behaves in the world and how many of it`s followers seek to undermine the basic priniciples of democracy.

Fuck em. Islamophobia is nothing but a word used by naiv leftwing progressive morons to silence opposition to their agenda.

Just like "patriachy".

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
25-03-2015, 12:40 PM
(24-03-2015 12:58 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  
(24-03-2015 12:27 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  The Qur'an does not tell Muslims to kill people, except when defending themselves. In fact, the Qur'an prohibits the killing of women, children, and men who are not combatants in war. The terrorists are in clear violation of the Qur'an. But, like extremists everywhere, they don't give a shit.

The members of ISIS and Boko Haram ought to read the Quran, then. They have the notion that unbelievers should be killed.

Yes, they should. But it probably wouldn't help. Like extremists and fundamentalists everywhere, they don't give a shit what their scriptures actually say. They just mine their scriptures for quotes they can use to justify their hatred and violence.

Extremist Christians, Jews, and Muslims all do it.

All religion is crap and all extremists are psychopaths. But since most people who espouse a religion don't really believe it, it is foolish and counterproductive to paint all with one brush everyone who self-identifies within a particular religion.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
25-03-2015, 01:07 PM
(25-03-2015 09:00 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(25-03-2015 01:13 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Islam had a short lived enlightenment, they however lack a reformation.

Except for that the Zero was invented by the Babylonians, and Mayans independently, and the Arabic zero was directly influenced by the Indian concept (which some scholars argue that Babylonians influenced.) Babylon and the Mayans seem to have invented Zero as a placeholder, not an actual number (this article states that it was the Indians that made it a number). I guess Islamic countries could be credited with the spread and popularization of the idea (which I believe really should be going to Babylon anyways, but whatever, I'm not a scholar.)

Which could all very well be true, but who transmitted that knowledge through trade back to Europe, allowing them to regain some of what they otherwise had lost? The Middle East.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
25-03-2015, 01:15 PM
(25-03-2015 12:40 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  all extremists are psychopaths.

Only the most effective ones. Most won't scrap with us unless they're stoned out of their minds because that's the only way they can gather the courage to face us. They're neither psychopathic enough to be effective predators, nor comfortable enough with their convictions to draw their strength from their religion.

'Murican Canadian
25-03-2015, 01:19 PM
In reply to an earlier statement I'm having trouble quoting properly from my phone...

I don't know about Boko or ISIS, but most of the Taliban I dealt with were illiterate and had never read a page of the Quran. The basis of their belief was inherited culture and the bullshit they were being fed from their leadership, who were more like drug cartel bosses than religious fanatics, even if they used that as a means for control.

'Murican Canadian
25-03-2015, 02:20 PM
(25-03-2015 01:07 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-03-2015 09:00 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Except for that the Zero was invented by the Babylonians, and Mayans independently, and the Arabic zero was directly influenced by the Indian concept (which some scholars argue that Babylonians influenced.) Babylon and the Mayans seem to have invented Zero as a placeholder, not an actual number (this article states that it was the Indians that made it a number). I guess Islamic countries could be credited with the spread and popularization of the idea (which I believe really should be going to Babylon anyways, but whatever, I'm not a scholar.)

Which could all very well be true, but who transmitted that knowledge through trade back to Europe, allowing them to regain some of what they otherwise had lost? The Middle East.

Which is why I said that they can be credited with popularizing the concept, but inventing it is absolutely not the case. I'm not disputing that there wasn't a period where The Middle East was definitely responsible for the reaquisition of works, but reaquisition is different from creation.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
25-03-2015, 06:00 PM
(25-03-2015 12:40 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  
(24-03-2015 12:58 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  The members of ISIS and Boko Haram ought to read the Quran, then. They have the notion that unbelievers should be killed.

Yes, they should. But it probably wouldn't help. Like extremists and fundamentalists everywhere, they don't give a shit what their scriptures actually say. They just mine their scriptures for quotes they can use to justify their hatred and violence.

Extremist Christians, Jews, and Muslims all do it.

All religion is crap and all extremists are psychopaths. But since most people who espouse a religion don't really believe it, it is foolish and counterproductive to paint all with one brush everyone who self-identifies within a particular religion.

They don't give a shit what their scriptures actually say? You really think that?

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
25-03-2015, 06:01 PM
Youtube about Islamic science