Islamophobia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2015, 06:02 AM
RE: Islamophobia?
(25-03-2015 06:00 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(25-03-2015 12:40 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  Yes, they should. But it probably wouldn't help. Like extremists and fundamentalists everywhere, they don't give a shit what their scriptures actually say. They just mine their scriptures for quotes they can use to justify their hatred and violence.

Extremist Christians, Jews, and Muslims all do it.

All religion is crap and all extremists are psychopaths. But since most people who espouse a religion don't really believe it, it is foolish and counterproductive to paint all with one brush everyone who self-identifies within a particular religion.

They don't give a shit what their scriptures actually say? You really think that?

Yep, I do. Just like Christians who pick the one line from Paul and the one or two from the OT that can be interpreted to be prohibitions against men having sex together, but ignore the repeated admonishments to give away everything you own, the extremist Muslims only care about those passages from the Qur'an that they can use to justify their prejudices and their violent actions, and they ignore the passages that prohibit killing civilians.

Likewise the moderates: Just as most Christians have a vague notion that Jesus will get them into heaven if they mostly aren't too terrible, most Muslims have a vague notion that Mohammed received the Word of Allah and if they accept that he was the Prophet and they don't disobey too much they'll get into paradise.

Only an insignificant minority of Christians and of Muslims really care what their respective holy books say. The rest either give it passing lip service or mine it for quotes that confirm their culturally-instilled preconceptions.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2015, 09:28 AM
(25-03-2015 09:07 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Whilest I do not doubt that there are people in trailer parks in Mississipi who have dubios motivations behind their opposition of Islam.

I was speaking with a Church of God preacher, one time, and I made the comment that he sounded like a fundamentalist. He immediately began protesting that he wasn't a Muslim. Ha Ha. I wonder if he was from Mississippi.

BTW, you shouldn't end a dependent clause with a period.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
26-03-2015, 09:32 AM
(25-03-2015 12:40 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  
(24-03-2015 12:58 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  The members of ISIS and Boko Haram ought to read the Quran, then. They have the notion that unbelievers should be killed.

Yes, they should. But it probably wouldn't help. Like extremists and fundamentalists everywhere, they don't give a shit what their scriptures actually say. They just mine their scriptures for quotes they can use to justify their hatred and violence.

Extremist Christians, Jews, and Muslims all do it.

All religion is crap and all extremists are psychopaths. But since most people who espouse a religion don't really believe it, it is foolish and counterproductive to paint all with one brush everyone who self-identifies within a particular religion.

I wonder if they do that praying five times a day stuff. It's doubtful.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
26-03-2015, 09:42 AM
(25-03-2015 01:19 PM)yakherder Wrote:  In reply to an earlier statement I'm having trouble quoting properly from my phone...

I don't know about Boko or ISIS, but most of the Taliban I dealt with were illiterate and had never read a page of the Quran. The basis of their belief was inherited culture and the bullshit they were being fed from their leadership, who were more like drug cartel bosses than religious fanatics, even if they used that as a means for control.

There is a woman named Anne Barnhardt, who is an apologist for the Roman Catholic Church who offers a perspective on the nature of Islam. She claims that centuries of Inbreeding has done severe genetic damage to Muslims, which presents itself as mental incapacities.

Taking into consideration that she is a religious nut, in her own right, it is a very interesting perspective. And she is very bold in her approach. If anyone would like to hear her (a 59 minute video), the url is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms9NrdiJHRA.

26-03-2015, 11:11 AM
(24-03-2015 11:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-03-2015 09:02 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I love the smell of ludicrously broad generalisations in the morning.

It depends on what is actually meant by 'Islamophobia'.
If it is defined as the fear of living in a society where Islam wields temporal power, then it is a rational fear.

But we already have a word for the fear of a society where Islam any religion wields temporal power: secularism.

And you know as well as I do that I'm all on board with that.

The way the word is sometimes used is as a deluded rehash of the same xenophobic "those other people are coming here to ruin everything" rhetoric endemic against Irish and Chinese people 120 years ago.

And that's stupid.

... this is my signature!