Islamophobia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2014, 04:27 AM
RE: Islamophobia
(29-05-2014 03:55 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  Then there's this Drinking Beverage

Oh, well isn't that lovely. Dodgy

*Locks his doors…boards his windows*

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
29-05-2014, 04:32 AM

I'm not entiiiirrreeely sure that he should have been making that argument.

And then he asks whether they are all going to be deported from the country.

Oh look, he's just provided an excellent propaganda video for the fledgling fascist groups currently gaining power.
Find all posts by this user
29-05-2014, 05:14 AM
I've only known a few Muslims socially, and have not had a problem with them; even messed around with a Muslim girl for a while - she was so sexually outstanding, FWIW.Drooling

However, there do seem to be some self - professed moderate Muslims who are very fucking easily offended, and this cannot be anything but a problem in our society.

Because it's utterly impossible to deal with people like that.
29-05-2014, 05:36 AM
(29-05-2014 04:32 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  

I'm not entiiiirrreeely sure that he should have been making that argument.

No, he shouldn't. He exposed the true face of Islam, silly man. Dodgy

Quote:And then he asks whether they are all going to be deported from the country.

And he provided a good reason for them to be deported.

Quote:Oh look, he's just provided an excellent propaganda video for the fledgling fascist groups currently gaining power.

When did truth become propaganda? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-05-2014, 06:03 AM
(29-05-2014 05:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 04:32 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Oh look, he's just provided an excellent propaganda video for the fledgling fascist groups currently gaining power.

When did truth become propaganda? Consider

In the way that it is presented.

In this case I was thinking of it being used as part of a wider video justifying actions not warranted by the truth. I was thinking along the lines of propaganda videos that seek to anger mobs of right wing fascists and encourage them to hunt down, beat up / kill / burn the houses of muslims who never really questioned their upbringing rather than trying to educate them and get them to integrate.
29-05-2014, 06:27 AM
The first time I became aware of Islam was in the late 1980's. The book Satanic Verses was published. Apparently there is a depiction of Muhammad in the book which pissed off the Ayatollah in Iran that he proclaimed a fatwa and called for the execution of the author Salman Rushdie. This caused riots and killings around the world. I was in the Netherlands at the time and witnessed a march by hundreds of so called moderate Muslims calling for the book to be banned and children carrying placards calling for Rushdie to be hanged. Book shops that sold the book were petrol bombed. I was shocked and lost any respect that I may have had towards the Muslim tradition.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
29-05-2014, 07:04 AM
Any religion that accepts, approves and/or encourages thinking such as, "I had to rape her because [my 5-year old daughter] was becoming desirable. Then I had to kill her because she was no longer a virgin," is seriously fucked up and dangerous.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
29-05-2014, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2014 09:26 AM by Reltzik.)
Here's the main three points that I focus on when Islam gets discussed.

1) The vast majority that I might meet in the Western world are not looking to blow me up or chop off my head, just like the vast majority of Christians are not members of the KKK or WBC. The vast majority of them in the Western world will condemn Islamist terrorism, on the grounds of their own religion. Just because the holy text literally says this or that doesn't keep moderate Muslims from going with a touch-feely cherry-picked interpretation, the same way that a lot of Christians do.

2) However, Islam is far, far more dangerous than Christianity, simply because of where it's at. If we put the bar of "radical" at "willing to kill people for disagreeing with their dogma", for example, any given Muslim is orders of magnitude more likely to be radical than any given Christian. That's still not to say most Muslims will do this. I don't know whether most Muslims would, and part of that is how I don't have a clear definition of what counts as a true Muslim. (Professing? Practicing? Which dogmas?) But it's not hard to compare and contrast Islam versus Christianity and discover that there is far, far, far more murder, death, tyranny, oppression, suffering, and all-out evil in today's world coming from the former than the latter, even though the latter is more popular. This is not an innate property of the religion. At various points in the past, Christianity has been the worst of the two. But it is the present state of things, and looks to be the present state of things for quite a while. And that makes Islam far, far more dangerous than Christianity. (And not in a cool "hey we've got an idea that will change the world!" type of way, either.)

3) I'm increasingly certain that it's impossible to separate the radical side of this religion from it's moderate side. Even if tomorrow the entire Islamic world were to be magically transformed into moderates, it wouldn't stay that way. You can't have a bunch of touchy-feely moderates basing their religion on the Koran, without having some spinoff Koran-literalists prepared to kill as many people as it can. In this sense, the religion is entirely like Christianity.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
29-05-2014, 08:03 AM
(29-05-2014 07:36 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  1) The vast majority that I might meet in the Western world are not looking to blow me up or chop off my head, just like the vast majority of Christians are not members of the KKK or WBC. The vast majority of them in the Western world will condemn Islamist terrorism, on the grounds of their own religion. Just because the holy text literally says this or that doesn't keep moderate Muslims from going with a touch-feely cherry-picked interpretation, the same way that a lot of Christians do.

The problem is that they don't condemn it.

Where is the outrage from these so-called moderate Muslims? Nowhere. It rarely happens.

If moderate Muslims want any respect, they have to publicly disavow the zealots.
Otherwise, they are part of the problem.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-05-2014, 09:13 AM
(29-05-2014 08:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 07:36 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  1) The vast majority that I might meet in the Western world are not looking to blow me up or chop off my head, just like the vast majority of Christians are not members of the KKK or WBC. The vast majority of them in the Western world will condemn Islamist terrorism, on the grounds of their own religion. Just because the holy text literally says this or that doesn't keep moderate Muslims from going with a touch-feely cherry-picked interpretation, the same way that a lot of Christians do.

The problem is that they don't condemn it.

Where is the outrage from these so-called moderate Muslims? Nowhere. It rarely happens.

If moderate Muslims want any respect, they have to publicly disavow the zealots.
Otherwise, they are part of the problem.

I was speaking about what they'd say in private conversation, but they do speak out. Not all the time, no, but it happens a lot more than media coverage suggests. Here's one example. It took me about a minute to find... not hard at all.

And no, I'm not singing the praises of moderate Islam. I'm just saying that the stereotype of all Muslims as being with the terrorists is... a great overstatement.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post