Islamophobia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2014, 09:56 AM
RE: Islamophobia
I feel all 3 of the monotheistic religions have the potential to be equally as deadly. Christianity is just "held back" (for now) by western culture.

So I dont like to single out islam, even though its certainly a problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2014, 10:04 AM
I work with quite a few Muslims. Some are as ignorant and arrogant as imaginable but others(the moderates) think the fundies are nuts.
I have asked many if them questions about drawing Muhammad, burning the Quran and sharia. I get a mixture of answers.
But it might be fair to add that the moderates I speak to have never read the Quran. They are pretty well cultural Muslims.
29-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Recognition of one's enemies is good sense, not a phobia.

Islam is currently at war with the west.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
29-05-2014, 11:04 AM
(29-05-2014 10:51 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Recognition of one's enemies is good sense, not a phobia.

Islam is currently at war with the west world.

fixed that for ya.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
29-05-2014, 11:07 AM
(29-05-2014 09:13 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  I'm just saying that the stereotype of all Muslims as being with the terrorists is... a great overstatement.

I'm not sure that anyone thinks ALL muslims are with the terrorists/aggressors.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
29-05-2014, 11:13 AM
(29-05-2014 11:07 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 09:13 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  I'm just saying that the stereotype of all Muslims as being with the terrorists is... a great overstatement.

I'm not sure that anyone thinks ALL muslims are with the terrorists/aggressors.

But that is the Strawman that those who push Islamophobia claim. Oh you don't like grown men marrying 9 year old girls? Islamophob! Racist! Cultural Supremacist!

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
29-05-2014, 11:13 AM
(29-05-2014 09:13 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 08:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  The problem is that they don't condemn it.

Where is the outrage from these so-called moderate Muslims? Nowhere. It rarely happens.

If moderate Muslims want any respect, they have to publicly disavow the zealots.
Otherwise, they are part of the problem.

I was speaking about what they'd say in private conversation, but they do speak out. Not all the time, no, but it happens a lot more than media coverage suggests. Here's one example. It took me about a minute to find... not hard at all.

And no, I'm not singing the praises of moderate Islam. I'm just saying that the stereotype of all Muslims as being with the terrorists is... a great overstatement.

You seem to be objecting to things I didn't say. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-05-2014, 11:16 AM
(29-05-2014 11:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 09:13 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  I was speaking about what they'd say in private conversation, but they do speak out. Not all the time, no, but it happens a lot more than media coverage suggests. Here's one example. It took me about a minute to find... not hard at all.

And no, I'm not singing the praises of moderate Islam. I'm just saying that the stereotype of all Muslims as being with the terrorists is... a great overstatement.

You seem to be objecting to things I didn't say. Consider

Oh we do that all the time Chas. Dont act so surprised. Big Grin
29-05-2014, 11:27 AM

Where is the outrage from these so-called moderate Muslims? Nowhere. It rarely happens.

If moderate Muslims want any respect, they have to publicly disavow the zealots.

I get your point, but it's not quite that simple. If even Misanthropik feels the slight discomfort mentioned here...

(29-05-2014 01:27 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  That I even feel a hint of insecurity about my personal safety is absolutely flooring.

...how much more magnified is that discomfort for Muslims that might speak out? It doesn't necessarily mean they don't want to speak out, just that they don't do so. And I agree that they need to do so, but it's also easy for me to say when it's not my head out there on the chopping block.

They probably need something on the order of a revolution, but it's difficult for that to organize since people expressing opposition have a way of suddenly dying.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
29-05-2014, 11:59 AM
(29-05-2014 11:27 AM)Impulse Wrote:  

I get your point, but it's not quite that simple. If even Misanthropik feels the slight discomfort mentioned here...

(29-05-2014 01:27 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  That I even feel a hint of insecurity about my personal safety is absolutely flooring.

...how much more magnified is that discomfort for Muslims that might speak out? It doesn't necessarily mean they don't want to speak out, just that they don't do so. And I agree that they need to do so, but it's also easy for me to say when it's not my head out there on the chopping block.

They probably need something on the order of a revolution, but it's difficult for that to organize since people expressing opposition have a way of suddenly dying.

My point is that if they don't speak out, they have no call to bitch about people's attitude toward Islam - they are doing nothing to counter it.

Silence is tacit approval.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post