Islamophobia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2014, 01:01 PM
RE: Islamophobia
(29-05-2014 11:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 11:27 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I get your point, but it's not quite that simple. If even Misanthropik feels the slight discomfort mentioned here...

...how much more magnified is that discomfort for Muslims that might speak out? It doesn't necessarily mean they don't want to speak out, just that they don't do so. And I agree that they need to do so, but it's also easy for me to say when it's not my head out there on the chopping block.

They probably need something on the order of a revolution, but it's difficult for that to organize since people expressing opposition have a way of suddenly dying.

My point is that if they don't speak out, they have no call to bitch about people's attitude toward Islam - they are doing nothing to counter it.

Silence is tacit approval.
And that's what I was disagreeing with. In many situations, I would normally agree (thus, my signature regarding silence), but in this case I don't see it as approval of any kind. It's complete fear.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2014, 02:10 PM
When a muslim loses the fair argument against a fellow debater - he will use that "victim" card. That is just a coping mechanism for them to save face.
29-05-2014, 11:21 PM
(29-05-2014 11:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 09:13 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  I was speaking about what they'd say in private conversation, but they do speak out. Not all the time, no, but it happens a lot more than media coverage suggests. Here's one example. It took me about a minute to find... not hard at all.

And no, I'm not singing the praises of moderate Islam. I'm just saying that the stereotype of all Muslims as being with the terrorists is... a great overstatement.

You seem to be objecting to things I didn't say. Consider
How do you like them apples, Chas? Dodgy

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
30-05-2014, 08:23 PM
(29-05-2014 01:01 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 11:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  My point is that if they don't speak out, they have no call to bitch about people's attitude toward Islam - they are doing nothing to counter it.

And that's what I was disagreeing with. In many situations, I would normally agree (thus, my signature regarding silence), but in this case I don't see it as approval of any kind. It's complete fear.

And you are making an assumption that fear silences them.

Might it not be equally likely that lack of disapproval holds their tongues?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-05-2014, 08:24 PM
(29-05-2014 11:21 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 11:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  You seem to be objecting to things I didn't say. Consider
How do you like them apples, Chas? Dodgy

What I said was clear; what you said wasn't. Drinking Beverage

30-05-2014, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2014 09:36 PM by Bows and Arrows.)
I think there will be revolution in the future.

I've been following this Facebook page of Iranian women who want nothing more than to just feel the wind in their hair, to have freedom of choice in their clothing. Small freedoms that we all take for granted. It's up to over 400,000 likes, every day loads of photos being posted of women letting their hair out.

I started talking to an Iranian girl from the page, she is in her 20's. The younger generation doesn't want/like the iron fist control. A group of 13 were arrested recently for dancing to Happy.

I think the winds are shifting, slowly, the internet/twitter generation is going to shake things up.

Here's the Facebook page if anyone is interested. The women are (I think) courageous - the wrath could be fierce for such a simple act, but they still do it. They want to be free.

https://www.facebook.com/StealthyFreedom?ref=ts&fref=ts

Edit: and an article on the govt not liking it. http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/original...veils.html

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
31-05-2014, 03:22 AM
(30-05-2014 08:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  What I said was clear; what you said wasn't. Drinking Beverage
And yet you seem to be the only one who thinks that. Consider

31-05-2014, 03:39 AM
Chas. Damned right!

(29-05-2014 11:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 11:27 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I get your point, but it's not quite that simple. If even Misanthropik feels the slight discomfort mentioned here...

...how much more magnified is that discomfort for Muslims that might speak out? It doesn't necessarily mean they don't want to speak out, just that they don't do so. And I agree that they need to do so, but it's also easy for me to say when it's not my head out there on the chopping block.

They probably need something on the order of a revolution, but it's difficult for that to organize since people expressing opposition have a way of suddenly dying.

My point is that if they don't speak out, they have no call to bitch about people's attitude toward Islam - they are doing nothing to counter it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
31-05-2014, 08:57 AM
(31-05-2014 03:22 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 08:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  What I said was clear; what you said wasn't. Drinking Beverage
And yet you seem to be the only one who thinks that. Consider

Has anyone actually agreed with you?

31-05-2014, 10:05 AM
(31-05-2014 08:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  Has anyone actually agreed with you?
That's a nice red herring you have there. Given the fact that you are the only person to misconstrue the content of my posts, it follows that the common denominator isn't the alleged ambiguity of my writings, it's your lack of reading comprehension.