Isms and Ists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2016, 09:42 AM
Isms and Ists
I think one of the largest betrayers of personal credulity is when words like "evolutionist" or "darwinism" are used.
Darwin is not an ism, he was a scientist.
Evolution is not an ist, it is a field of science.
Isms and Ists are typically used to denote belief systems, and it would be silly to say that any of us free thinkers "believe" in Darwin or Evolution
Darwin was a real person, no need to believe in his existance.
Evolution is so substantiated that belief is not needed, and anyone can go see it for themselves if they care to look.
I am sure there are others, but i think those two are the worst offenders. They usually display the lack of understanding of the user, and you can usually get an clear idea of the quality of information that accompanies them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2016, 10:09 AM
RE: Isms and Ists
I suppose as a follow up to that, the useless term of Atheism runs a similar risk with a different outcome.
Atheism isnt, or at least, shouldnt be considered a belief system. It would be more accurate to call it a lack-of-belief system.
Atheism, as typically defined, is not a positive position or statement. It has no claims to believe in, and has no tenets to follow. Its is most certainly not a religion like how it is often claimed by its opponents.
Being as such, unless Atheism is being used to denote the concept it does actually discribe, it betrays the credulity of the user like the other two terms in that if it is being used to describe anything beyond the LACK of belief in gods, it only stands to confuse or obfuscate the subject at hand.
15-04-2016, 10:30 AM
naturalism
Facepalm
Weeping
Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
15-04-2016, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2016 10:53 AM by cactus.)
The only "ism" I try to practice is skepticism. I consider it my worldview. I'm not quite clear on the definition of a "worldview" or what it should encompass, but I'd use it to describe the things that a person values. I value evidence and critical thinking as the best ways of understanding reality.

Also, I do believe that Charles Darwin existed, and I find the evidence quite compelling to warrant such a belief. Tongue

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
15-04-2016, 10:47 AM
I realized i am wrong in how i describe what an ism is.
There are plenty of isms that are not belief systems, but i think that doesnt take away from how an ism is misappropriated to things that are not ideologies, actions and such.
My mistake!
15-04-2016, 10:55 AM
(15-04-2016 10:46 AM)cactus Wrote:  Also, I do believe that Charles Darwin existed, and I find the evidence quite compelling to warrant such a belief. Tongue

This, i think, leads to a question of at what point can evidence be so compelling and irrefutable that belief isnt warrented. I never met the man, but i dont doubt his existance. Does that mean i believe in him?
I know fact and theory are thrown around between the scientific and layman usage, depend on the user and context, but do i believe in the theory of Darwin's existance, or can i call his existance a fact?
Gotta love semantics Tongue
15-04-2016, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2016 11:07 AM by cactus.)
Evidence always has the potential to be refuted. All conclusions are preliminary (or temporal, not final... I was looking for a specific word, but just it wasn't coming to me. Maybe preliminary was already the word I was looking for. I hate when that happens, lol). Wink

[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
15-04-2016, 11:05 AM
(15-04-2016 11:02 AM)cactus Wrote:  Evidence always has the potential to be refuted. All conclusions are preliminary. Wink

True. I guess i will just have to take his existance on faith ;p
15-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Cataclysm

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
15-04-2016, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2016 11:19 AM by cactus.)
prism

Edit: Provisional. That was the word I was looking for Thumbsup