Isms and Ists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2016, 12:36 PM
Isms and Ists
(15-04-2016 12:16 PM)Gordon Blue Wrote:  
(15-04-2016 12:00 PM)Sam Wrote:  Plus, a large proportion of atheists are former theists.

Right, but ALL theists are former atheists, and i feel safe making that generalization. Even still, all theists are atheists in regards to the countless deities that they dont believe in.
In that sense, atheism is the rule and theism is the exception. It is the exception of making a special case for believing in one (or one group) of many deities that have been cooked up over the ages.

I think this idea that everyone begins life as an atheist is sort of silly. It's not like a newborn baby has an opinion on anything.

If I am asked if I believe in something I've never heard of, my response is "I don't know..."

Only when presented with information and the question of the existence of X can someone choose to accept or reject it. The same goes for any belief, fact or viewpoint.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2016, 12:44 PM
RE: Isms and Ists
(15-04-2016 12:36 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(15-04-2016 12:16 PM)Gordon Blue Wrote:  Right, but ALL theists are former atheists, and i feel safe making that generalization. Even still, all theists are atheists in regards to the countless deities that they dont believe in.
In that sense, atheism is the rule and theism is the exception. It is the exception of making a special case for believing in one (or one group) of many deities that have been cooked up over the ages.

I think this idea that everyone begins life as an atheist is sort of silly. It's not like a newborn baby has an opinion on anything.

If I am asked if I believe in something I've never heard of, my response is "I don't know..."

Only when presented with information and the question of the existence of X can someone choose to accept or reject it. The same goes for any belief, fact or viewpoint.

I dont think its so silly, as you cant believe in something you have no concept for, you cant even be unsure, as you have nothing to ponder.
You dont believe in the Roomashooshoos under my bed, because this is now the first time that information has been presented to you. I can now describe them to you, and you can make the decision to believe based on how well i can demonstrate (or sell) it, but until you hear of Roomashooshoos for the first time, you dont believe in them.
Thats just me, and i very well could be wrong or fallacious in that line of reasoning.
Find all posts by this user
15-04-2016, 12:58 PM
I am a realist and i would like to convinve you heathens of realism. Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
15-04-2016, 01:10 PM
(15-04-2016 12:58 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I am a realist and i would like to convinve you heathens of realism. Big Grin

I only convert to ideologies that inflate my ego. Will realism make me feel superior on earth to nonrealist? Is there any reward in the afterlife for following realism that allows me to scoff and gibe at those who didnt? Wink
15-04-2016, 01:24 PM
There are no "isms" or "ists" there are simply human beings and DNA proves it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
15-04-2016, 01:41 PM
(15-04-2016 12:44 PM)Gordon Blue Wrote:  
(15-04-2016 12:36 PM)Sam Wrote:  I think this idea that everyone begins life as an atheist is sort of silly. It's not like a newborn baby has an opinion on anything.

I dont think its so silly, as you cant believe in something you have no concept for, you cant even be unsure, as you have nothing to ponder.
You dont believe in the Roomashooshoos under my bed, because this is now the first time that information has been presented to you. I can now describe them to you, and you can make the decision to believe based on how well i can demonstrate (or sell) it, but until you hear of Roomashooshoos for the first time, you dont believe in them.
Thats just me, and i very well could be wrong or fallacious in that line of reasoning.

Ultimately it's just semantics, which is what the whole thread is about anyway. It makes very little difference.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
15-04-2016, 02:01 PM
The default position from having no information concerning an alleged deity would be agnostic. One wouldn't even know about an alleged deity until some "education" occurred. I think that "atheist" is just a name bucket that the "believers in some personal deity/spirits/whatever" aren't in.

Oh, and witticism. Tongue
15-04-2016, 03:49 PM
(15-04-2016 12:58 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I am a realist and i would like to convinve you heathens of realism. Big Grin

There's at least one Bishop Berkeley around here arguing for immaterialism. Something about conceptualizing the concept of a conceptualizing mind. Or some such shit.

#sigh