Isn't it an interesting time when...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Isn't it an interesting time when...
Isn't it an interesting time when we can see these May 21st billboards and they're shrugged off or completely ignored by many if not most people? If billboards popped up proclaiming the lizard people were soon to come out from under the pyramids and attack humanity there would be a world wide media splash and a critical backlash that would make the population's collective head spin. Just a thought. Sometimes stepping back and looking at our society and it's irrationality is like a cold splash of water.

We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there.
Dana Gould
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2011, 04:29 PM
RE: Isn't it an interesting time when...
I can't help it, I enjoy watching the insane at play Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-05-2011, 04:46 PM

For a few hundred bucks I'll look after your pets when the rapture comes! What, don't you have faith in the end times?
Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Sadly, I fear that there may be a mass suicide of people stupid enough to believe this crap when they wake up tp realize that they weren't "taken" on the 21st.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-05-2011, 08:19 PM

I knew a woman who was in her late 50's, a professional massage therapist, divorced with a daughter, living independent and comfortable, who literally believed The Ashtar Command were real. And that Jesus Christ Sonanda, the name he was given after he ascended, was the pilot of the Ashtar Command mother ship/UFO.

She saw auras, once when I was on her massage table, because we bartered as I'm trained as well and so we exchanged massages, she tried to tell me about the Ashtar Command, which fascinated daylights out of me that someone not only believed this, but that there were books published by and about them. Later, she tried to tell me that there was a giant invisible being in the room, watching her massage me and that that was my spirit guide. She even described him, as I lay on a table with crystals underneath, so as to balance my energy especially.

Later, she took me to a UU church, where a UFO group would meet the first Tuesday of every month. I made a small fortune opening a merchant table at the monthly event, selling merchandise that catered to their fixation.

I find people fascinating. I entertained online a narcissist, pathological liar who suffers histrionic personality disorder and is also an admitted contrarian, which is also a mental illness, and who is a self proclaimed Satanist, complete with his own church, who makes video's for You Tube and is working on his 5th soon to be, I have no doubt because he's a serial adulterer also, ex-wife. I did it all just to learn what that personality was like, so as to understand the human psyche that literally lived as if it all was very real. And for the "Satanist" it was, because he made quite a good living lying to people about everything from his cancer, to selling memberships to his church when in truth he'd never send even the membership card to the dupes.

So for quite a long while I've had cold water splashed on my face. And I love the feeling. It's invigorating. It's like free cable, in 3D. Tongue People will believe anything! I've learned that over the years. And I think that the reason they do, is because something inside them is so empty, they need to fill it up with whatever percolates to the top that makes them feel full and satisfied that it's something they can understand.
Because raw real life, where it's all on them personally from the beginning, is just too much to bear. They have to believe there's something other, that they have to please, live up to, fear, worship, honor, satisfy, entertain, or earn approval of.
And all that, as far as I can see (and with eyes crossed no doubt Tongue) , is because what they're hoping rewards that commitment is directly related to their personal level of personal insecurity.

Who in their right mind worships the god of the Christians? Rational critical review of that faith makes it obscene, as a philosophy for positive moral living. One can not think, and be a Christian.
Who in their right mind lives as a radical ultra-right wing Muslim?

Who can truly give their life to thinking everything they see that does exist, does so because something that they can't see is responsible for it and has a personality just like theirs, but super powers too?

It's part and parcel of the human condition. Since we've witnessed our own reflection in a puddle shortly after the earth cooled and the first of our kind, hairy assed and all, saw themselves reflected in water, or was afraid of their shadow that appeared on a rock wall before the blazing light of the sun, is when it all began. The questions; what is that? Why is that? What's it all mean?
And the answers, as primitive as the mind that had no idea what it was looking at, found a way to take away the terror of not knowing save for what could be imagined so as to still the quiver in the gut. The fear behind the eyes as life occurred before them.

We've evolved into the 21st century so as not to be like unto our ancient ancestors anymore, OK except for the hairy assed part in many cases, which just gives rise to the depilatory retail market so it's all good. Just as long as it's not in my bed, because I hate those little dark curlies that show up on the sheets...OK, moving on, but despite our growing into the future, we're still so much like those primitives looking for an answer for that face in the mirror and the wonders of real life that lives in front of our eyes, and cares about us not at all.

Just think, after May 21 there's October 21 to look forward to. The end of the world. And after that, 2012 because maybe what's never been considered is the Mayan's just got sick of carving stone calendars. And then there's 2014! And as all of it rolls up and moves on there's forever going to be something to look forward to, but with fear and trepidation. While the dedicated wonder, if they're worthy when it comes to pass.

It's entertainment. Like Cable in 3D. Tongue
13-05-2011, 08:46 PM

(13-05-2011 07:15 PM)nontheocrat Wrote:  Sadly, I fear that there may be a mass suicide of people stupid enough to believe this crap when they wake up tp realize that they weren't "taken" on the 21st.

Yes, that's certainly possible. But since Camping has tried this once before (he predicted the world would end in 1994), and chalked up the continuance of the world to a miscalculation in his prophesy, I'm sure he'll call on his followers to endure with him a little longer while he figures out the next permutation for the apocalypse.
13-05-2011, 09:14 PM

(13-05-2011 08:46 PM)Kthulu Wrote:  
(13-05-2011 07:15 PM)nontheocrat Wrote:  Sadly, I fear that there may be a mass suicide of people stupid enough to believe this crap when they wake up tp realize that they weren't "taken" on the 21st.

Yes, that's certainly possible...

Hasn't there been a history of end of the world scenarios, and suicides following shortly thereafter?

I know that even during the first broadcast of "War of the Worlds", people were committing suicide thinking we really were being invaded by Martians.
And certainly at the turn of this century people had to have taken themselves out thinking Y2K was going to end life as they knew it.

I've searched with keywords like, end of world suicides, to see if I can find a time line but nothing relevant pops.

One thing for certain, this guy proves the short attention span of the demographic that gives him sincere attention, since he tried this stuff in '94 and he's still here, which means he's one of the damned because how can be be certain the rapture didn't leave without him? And now he's trying it again. Thing is, the Billboards aren't cheap. At least not around here. So how's he offsetting the price placing them in what appears to be a cross country ad campaign, thinking he's going to somehow reap a profit when what he's saying is both he and the need for his continued monetary support is going to come to an end in 8 days? Huh
14-05-2011, 03:20 AM
If Harold Camping TRULY believes the end of the world is coming on the 21st, then he had no qualms about renting hundreds of billboards across the USA and Canada because he believes he will never have to pay for them. I hope the company that contracted the boards, upon reading the message upon them, was wise enough to get their money up-front. On the other hand, the billboards are meant to generate traffic at his radio station, which is displayed on all the ads. I presume (cynically, I admit) that his real purpose is to generate a whole new batch of listeners, in which case he can solicit donations from a wider audience, as well as charge higher rates for the advertising on his station, thereby enriching himself. One thing is for certain; Camping knows from past experience that even if his prediction doesn't pan out, he will still have people believe in him, donate to his church, and put him on a pedestal as a "man of God", simply because there is a "sucker born every minute" as P.T. Barnum famously said.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
14-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Exactly, when people have crazy ideas it's usually just muttered among a small group and when the general population finds out it's because of a leak from an overzealous member. This has money power behind it, maybe it's a sign of things to come as the number of fundies grows and they incorporate more people that have advertising capabilities.

On the bright side moderates don't seem to have much patience with it and it might drive some people to reason.

We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there.
Dana Gould
14-05-2011, 02:19 PM

(14-05-2011 03:20 AM)hotrodmike Wrote:  If Harold Camping TRULY believes the end of the world is coming on the 21st, then he had no qualms about renting hundreds of billboards across the USA and Canada because he believes he will never have to pay for them. I hope the company that contracted the boards, upon reading the message upon them, was wise enough to get their money up-front.

I'd imagine they were paid for up front. Here, as I've inquired before, all the Billboard ad companies require prepayment for the term of the board rental/lease, and the print company that is often a separate entity that prints the ad itself, require payment up front as well.

I do agree with your observation. Reading the ad itself, even if it wasn't policy to get payment up front, if it were my company I'd make an exception. And if the client balked the best way to settle that is to say, well you're not going to be here to get the bill after May 21st, right? Tongue

Quote:On the other hand, the billboards are meant to generate traffic at his radio station, which is displayed on all the ads. I presume (cynically, I admit) that his real purpose is to generate a whole new batch of listeners, in which case he can solicit donations from a wider audience, as well as charge higher rates for the advertising on his station, thereby enriching himself. One thing is for certain; Camping knows from past experience that even if his prediction doesn't pan out, he will still have people believe in him, donate to his church, and put him on a pedestal as a "man of God", simply because there is a "sucker born every minute" as P.T. Barnum famously said.

No doubt, the materialist revenue angle is front and center on all the boards. And since we're talking Christian fable here, there's no doubt there's a spin on this failure to launch, just as there was when this same minister predicted the end of the world in the 90's. That people willfully believe anything of the Christ myth deeply enough to commit their lives to it, literally in the case of martyrs for the faith, means they're susceptible to being led to believe anything.
One thing is certain, I don't know if I can get this ministers radio station but has anyone witnessed any televangelists touting the big day?
I want to see what they have to say about it the first Sunday service after May 21st.

Hello! All you damned Christians! Tongue Missing anyone?