RE: Isn't it funny how the US was founded on freedom yet
I'm not seeing the humour

Dodgy

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
07-03-2014, 06:50 AM
Yeah, we brought most of the the dirty stuff with us. It's called irony.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
07-03-2014, 06:03 PM
(07-03-2014 04:28 AM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  Had Slavery,Segregation, and lynchings?

Yeah, that stuff sucked - what's your point.
07-03-2014, 06:38 PM
His point is that when the US was established that "freedom" was quite constricted.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
07-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Every culture had that stuff in it. Narrow your argument down some.
07-03-2014, 09:53 PM
What is it with all these threads that you're creating to single out Americans in negative ways? Are you an American trying to impress people from other countries by saying this stuff ('Look! I'm American and I'm open-minded, and aware of history!') or are you from a different country and simply ripping on Americans, because you think that all Americans are the Bible thumping, flag waving red neck shouting "Murca!"? If you talk to people from other countries who have travelled around the U.S. they will tell you that is merely a stereotype. Yes, we do have our idiots like that, but we also have a lot of nice people who are well aware of the history of this nation and do not find those aspects of it as something to be proud of.

The vast majority of Americans are descendents of immigrants from the late-19th Century and on. Both my mom's family and my dad's came here from Europe in the 20th century - my mom's family from Ireland and my dad's family from Serbia. My ancestors had nothing to do with the slave trade or creating segregation laws. In fact, if you are English, French, or Spanish chances are you are far more likely to be related to those people that came from Europe and conquered the Americas than somebody born and raised here today. I'd love to see how many U.S. citizens could actually trace their ancestry in America and not run into an ancestor that immigrated here from another country in the last 130 years, let alone to somebody that played a part in the times of colonial America. The vast majority of Americans are from ancestry of German, Italian, Irish, Hispanic, and African-American descent. The idea that the vast majority of Americans are descendants of the English colonists from the 18th Century is bullshit.

I also forgot that slavery did not exist until it was brought to the U.S. Rolleyes

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 6 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
12-03-2014, 08:46 PM
It used to mean freedom for white men, but then secular morals started taking over. I would call it more hypocrisy then humor.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
15-03-2014, 07:16 PM
Freedom for most, is just a word, like toast... (Seasick Steve)

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
17-03-2014, 09:41 PM
America was one of the first countries of that time period to give up the monarchy and go for majority rule. That doesn't mean we did it the best. Just like every other country in the world, we required time to transition completely and did so slowly in some ways, faster in others. I don't find it funny or ironic at all. We were(And in some cases, still are) in a transitional stage to becoming a true democracy based upon freedom, justice, and equality. Something like that doesn't come about overnight. The US is -STILL- heavily flawed as it is and whether or not we COMPLETE the transition is yet to be seen.

[Image: 8ffeae9d.jpg]
Credit to Atothetheist